Are You Kidding Me??

Decorating By mim1106 Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 5:41am by cheatize

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 26

Here's a funny story that I am sure I will look back and laugh at. Just not at the moment. As I have mentioned before, I am a military wife that makes cake for my husband and his guys. Well, I was contacted by his squadron a couple weeks ago and asked to make a cake for 150 ppl for today. I declined, I am too busy. I have a cake for my church and one for my friend's daughter tomorrow. Sorry. I get a call today at 0930....it is the squadron. They had another spouse make the cake and icing, but she went out of town. she made them and froze them. They were supposed to figure out who amongst them was going to decorate. Do you know where this is going? Please....can you decorate it for us. UGH!! Sure. When do you need it. 1400hr. (that is 2 o clock) TODAY?? Another UGH. I am way too nice. I drive 20 minutes to the base, pick up the cake, and now I am waiting for the icing to thaw a little. When I drop it off, I am going to make sure they know NOT to put my name on this cake. I have no idea what it tastes like. It could be fabulous, I don't know. grrrr. My husband owes me BIG time. Thanks for letting me vent!

25 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 26

HUH??

You are WAY too soft!

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 26

I would have still said no. The decorating is the time consuming part. Good luck and post pictures!

mim1106 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 26

I don't know about posting pictures, LOL. THere is barely enough icing to cover it. She had already dyed two bags blue for the border and writing. I need some more white!! I am not making any though. OH, and the bc is NOT a crusting bc. It has the consistency of canned.

mim1106 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 26

OK, someone PLEASE tell me how to smooth non crusting buttercream????

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 26

OMG! Bless your heart!! But, I am sure you will do great!! I understand your pain. I once had a mother (my niece in law) who never plans anything. She spur of the moment decides to have her daughter's birthday one Saturday and calls me at 9 am asking if I can make a small cake for the party which is to be around 1pm. Well, my oven went out the night before, so she said I could come over and bake and decorate the cake there. So, I have to make sure I had everything I needed because she does not bake!! I just made a 10 in round cake with a ladybug on it!! It was cute but simple!

Believe me, I will never do that again if at all possible!! I do understand icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 26

I'm sure it SUPER frustrating for you but look at it this way: 1) the squadron called YOU, they know and love your work 2) as a mother of a young man who was a "veteran of war" at age 21, I would cram it into my schedule to accommodate those who serve. By the way, tell your hubby and his comrades THANK YOU for their sacrifice.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 26

Smooth non-crusting icing by dipping your spatula in boiling hot water, wiping off and using long strokes with the spatula.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckalita

Smooth non-crusting icing by dipping your spatula in boiling hot water, wiping off and using long strokes with the spatula.

Yes. I do that for my cake tops. And you can use a metal bench scraper to do the sides in this same way. Resting it on its side on the turntable as you spin it. It helps you get a completely straight vertical side to your cake.

mim1106 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 26

OK, here it is... I think it looks awful. My printer decided it was out of ink, (Ok, so it has been warning me for a couple weeks that it was low) so I had to free hand the stripes using my husbands as a guide. I hope they like it.

mim1106 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 26

It didn't work. hmmm OK< well I will put it in my photos. It's not letting me upload here.

sugalips Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 26

Great job! thumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:35pm
post #13 of 26

Ah the joys of being a military spouse! HOpefully your husband will get brownie points for your effort.

mim1106 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:22pm
post #14 of 26

Thanks, sugalips! And I did cram it in, it was just an "oh crap, are they seriously wanting this cake in 4 hours and I haven't even gotten my lazy butt out of bed yet" moment. That's all. I spoil those guys (and girls) rotten with baked goods. The two wedding cakes I have done were for his guys. The last one was because one of the guys was expecting to deploy in the fall, and his date got moved up so they had a quickie wedding here and a backyard reception.
The cake's been delivered, and one of the girls asked me to do her daughter's bday cake next month.....it never ends. icon_smile.gif Good thing I love to cake!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:22pm
post #15 of 26

Is it being too nice? Well yes, but........ it's also what a good military wife (or husband) does. They just do it. My next door neighbor is a good military wife. Her husband was retired for 10 years and fought to get back in and after 10 years, got back, did a year out of the pentagon and a year in Afghanistan, during the same time their son was in Iraq. She's told me stories of training she got as a wife, and what is expected, etc. She's not only the best friend anyone could ask for, she is a true military wife and did whatever was ever expected of her, and more. So yes, from what I've seen and heard, I knew she'd end up doing this cake. It's what you do.

And good for you. You made your husband look good, and you helped out the squadron.

sugalips Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #16 of 26

Mim, you rock!! Hats off to all those who keep the home fires burning.

cownsj Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:40pm
post #17 of 26

Ok, let's see.....
No time
Nothing at your house, it's elsewhere
Not quite enough frosting
And no design plan

You did quite a job, I'm very impessed. Good for you! ! !! ! icon_biggrin.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 26

great job . nice way to improvise

mim1106 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:13pm
post #19 of 26

You are absolutely right, cownsj, there are expectations of the wives. Whatever we do, reflects upon our husbands. Being a military wife is a job in itself, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!! It's actually the only way of life I have ever known...army brat, joined the Air Force, married AF, and when I graduate with my BSN, I will be getting back into the Air Force as a nurse. I don't know any other way to be.
Thanks for the encouragement and letting me vent a little, guys!!

cownsj Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #20 of 26

I'll be thinking about you as I continue work on a cake I'm making. It's for my neighbors, both of them. Here is the thread about it, in case you want to read it. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=678590&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0 And maybe you could help me with one bit of information I need for this cake. What is the actual size of dog tags? The dog tags going on this cake will be actual size. It had originally been planned that we'd have had the party already, but can you imagine this; even though they had no idea about the surprise party we're throwing for them, they went and planned a trip together..... lol Good for them, they need it. As I read your post before, I was in the process of covering the tree for this cake in modeling chocolate. It's a slow process, but so far I'm liking the results.

mim1106 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:48pm
post #21 of 26

They are going to be bawling when they see that cake. That is so great of you to do that for them! I measured one of his dog tags, they are 2" by 1". I can't wait to see your finished cake!!!

cownsj Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mim1106

They are going to be bawling when they see that cake. That is so great of you to do that for them! I measured one of his dog tags, they are 2" by 1". I can't wait to see your finished cake!!!

Thank you soooooo much for doing that for me. I really appreciate it.

I think this is probably the most important cake I'll ever make. Even taking into account that I just made one this past weekend for my brother's 40th anniversary. (They eloped and never had a wedding or wedding cake before). That was hugely important for me, but I think this is much more important, especially for her.

mim1106 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:56pm
post #23 of 26

No problem!
I know they are going to love it. You are such a good friend to make it for them.

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #24 of 26

you are an awesome wife. I'm sure your husband is so proud to call you his icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #25 of 26

Hmm... sounds like something a military wife would do. thumbs_up.gif

You are awesome!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:41am
post #26 of 26

When Uncle Sam calls, ya gotta answer! I looked at the pic and giggled when I read the description. Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%