Do You Wrap Cake Circles?

Decorating By sweetartbakery Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 12:33pm by leah_s

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 8

I'm thinking of changing the way I do things because people aren't returning my plastic food safe plates. I bought some grease proof white cake circles to use instead. The package says that they are food safe, but it feels odd to just slap carboard between my cake layers unwrapped. does it leave a flavor behind? I wrapped them this time, but I'm guessing that most people don't. sure would be easier if people just returned my good ones! they don't even care if they loose the deposit, but I'm sick of constantly ordering and not having them in stock! I know most people go this route, so why not?

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:40am
post #2 of 8

No, you don't need to wrap them. The grease-proof circles that you purchased won't cause the cake placed on it to taste like cardboard or anything, but if you are concerned about the bottom (non-coated) side of the circle getting soggy, you can just add a circle of waxed paper beneath it and it will also prevent your buttercream from sticking to the underside during disassembly when served.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:33am
post #3 of 8

Ditto on the waxed paper between the layers. I agree that it's not necessary, but I do it so the cardboard doesn't stick to the icing beneath. You can even sprinkle a little edible glitter over the icing before putting the waxed paper down and it will peel right off without making a mark on your icing layer.

I can't believe people don't return your stuff. Is your deposit steep enough?

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:57am
post #4 of 8

smart. I'll just use wax paper! whats the chance of me finding parchment or wax paper cut in circles?? Hmmm... I'll have to dig around and see if I can find that. Thanks!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:02am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

No, you don't need to wrap them. The grease-proof circles that you purchased won't cause the cake placed on it to taste like cardboard or anything, but if you are concerned about the bottom (non-coated) side of the circle getting soggy, you can just add a circle of waxed paper beneath it and it will also prevent your buttercream from sticking to the underside during disassembly when served.

I do it this way thumbs_up.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:13am
post #6 of 8

I agree with everyone. these circles are made to go under cakes. And if you think about it, wrapping in plastic is really not a good idea. When folks cut the cake, the knife can shred the plastic wrap, leaving bits of it to travel along with the cake slice to the guests' plates. icon_surprised.gif

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 8

I wrap all of my cake circles with white freezer paper, shinny side out. I holds up well and does not rip when cutting the cake with a knife.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 8

Nope, I don't wrap cardboards. No time, not necessary. And if I did have the time, I'd use that time for marketing my business, not wrapping cardboard circles. As someone else stated, they'd made for that purpose (being under the cake tiers.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%