Where To Purchase Scalpels?

Decorating By babeebk Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm by chefjess819

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there, I read here and in the Confetti Cakes cookbook that many decorators use scalpels for cutting their gumpaste and fondant. Elisa Strauss said that her father is a surgeon so he gets them for her. I'd like to give them a try.

For those of you who use scalpels, can you give a review? Where do you all get your scalpels? Are they disposable? Are they sold in bulk? Can you provide a link? TIA

8 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 9

The scalpel I have was given to me and has ss disposable blades which last a very long time when just used for fondant types of cutting.
Try asking at a pharmacy, they may have an idea of where to purchase.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 9

Whoa!!!! When I read the title of this post I cringed. I thought to myself why in the world would you need scalpels but I guess so for cutting fondant. I'm just very afraid of small sharp objects. I have issue with an exacto knife from time to time. I'm a person that cooks allot & have no problem with large knives but there is something about small sharp objects that freaks me out. Hope you find them.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 9

Just beware of your fingers! I work in the medical field and the worst cut I have ever had in my life was from a scalpel. You think you have control and then one slip.... that little booger is designed to be supersharp and not drag so it will slice thru your fingers/hand like a hot knife thru butter. It doesn't hurt the first second that you do it, but after that... whew!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 9

An exacto knife is the same as a disposable scalpel. You can get one at any art supply store. I imagine craft stores carry them as well.
LL

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 9

Or you can try E-bay.... also good for finding clamps/ Forceps type instruments that help holding/picking up gumpaste/fondant items.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 9

Yep, Hobby Lobby and Michaels both carry X-Acto knives. They are cheap and come with extra blades. I use mine all the time to cut candy clay.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 9

i (stupidly lol) never thought of using an exacto knife. i use a box blade that i found in hardware. they had a 2 pack of a large blade and one that is maybe a half inch wide. works really well. not to mention, it has the finger guards which are awesome since i am seriously accident prone. hehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%