The Hotel Threw Away My Stands! ;(

Baking By mellormom Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 1:00am by mellormom

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 16

I had made cupcake stands out of cake circles and dummies that I thought were pretty nice. Apparently they were not because the wait staff threw them out afterwards.
They took hours to make(actually days) Plus they were not cheap and I had to get my husband involved to help make them.
So now I get to call the hotel and let them know they owe me money and send them a bill.
This day is going to be fun!
Thanks for letting me vent!
Jen...
LL
LL

15 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 16

Very nice stand! I hope they don't give you any trouble. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 16

That stinksicon_sad.gif I too hope they don't give you grief over this.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 16

This is exactly why you should start taking deposits on anything you want back. Just in case they are broken, damaged or thrown away, you'll at least have the money to replace them.

Did you tell the bride/customer these were supposed to be returned? DId you tell the hotel? If not, I can see why they threw them out. Not because aren't nice, but because they were made out of cake circles and dummies - materials many may think are disponible.

In any case, lesson learned and good luck getting any money out of them.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 16

i learnt my lesson the hard way too - i dropped a cupcake tower to a restaurant round the corner from my shop and didnt charge for delivery and set up or stand hire and said i would nip back round the next day and pick up the stand since it was so handy (yep im a mug). next day, go back and pick up the stand which is waiting for me and then get back to the shop and realise two legs are missing - ring the restaurant and they have zero interest and just said they cant find them!! great! luckily the manufacturer sells spares for £3.00 but still!

yep!! deposit all the way!!

mellormom Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 16

The bride rented the stands and was going to get her money back when they were returned.
My issue is all the time it took to make them. And they were designed to be used again and again but they only got to be at one event. The poor stands. They never got to fulfill their destiny! LOL
Thanks for the kind words on how they looked. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 16

I make my own stands too, out of mdf wood (very heavy) and this one below cost me about $10.00 to make and about 3 hrs. of work! I charge a $100.00 deposit on it, because of the time involved like you said!

I also can see why they'd think that stand was disposable, honestly I probably would have thought the same thing........only I'm betting someone at the hotel took it home, rather than threw it away icon_cool.gif that's my guess!

Those cake circle/cake dummy ones get beat up pretty fast though, you might consider making them from wood in the future or charging enough for those ones that they can be disposable?
LL

mellormom Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 16

I was thinking of making the next ones out of wood. But that would require hubby and he is busy renovating my attic right now.
Now that I have cooled off I'm just going to let it go and move on. I don't have the time or energy to try and get money back.
Jen...

KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 16

I've never used power tools in my life before making this stand......it CAN be accomplished.

Also, they sell precut masonite boards...if you can drill a hole you can use those to make a nice durable and reuseable stand for next to nothing as well!! also a LOT less work, though probably a little more than $10 to make.

mellormom Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 16

thanks for the info! icon_smile.gif I would have to get the precut boards if I were to do it myself. I don't focus well so precision is not something I'm good at. LOL My husband would laugh if I told him I was going to make them. icon_smile.gif And they would not be round! LOL
Jen...

KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 16

could always make squares LOL

mellormom Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:12pm
post #12 of 16

Actually they are out as well. Even when there is a line to follow I still vier of course. icon_smile.gif LOL
Jen...

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 16

I always have my wood cut at the hardware store, they don't charge extra. But I haven't had to do circles through them.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:26pm
post #14 of 16

A great way around this -- charge the bridal party the deposit! Trust me, they'll treat those stands like it's their firstborn child! icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:29pm
post #15 of 16

these are pretty inexpensive if you want to buy one to have on hand.

http://www.efavormart.com/search.aspx?find=cup+cake

mellormom Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:00am
post #16 of 16

thanks guys. icon_smile.gif My hubby said he would make me the stands sometime. Hmmmm..... I may get them next century! LOL
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%