What??!! Wedding Cancelled??!!

Lounge By deb12g Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 2:28pm by KHalstead

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 43

I had a wedding scheduled for this Saturday where I was doing wedding cake, groom's cake, and catering the entire event. Father of the bride called yesterday afternoon.........the wedding is off! Future husband was cheating on bride. How sad!

42 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 43

That is sad, but better she finds out he's a rat now than after the wedding.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 43

I hope they purchased Wedding Cancellation Insurance!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 43

That's terrible!
The bride must feel awful.

Did he ask for money back?

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 43

Yeah, better to find out now then next week. I hope though that it works out for you.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 43

Better before the wedding than after. A wedding I did a while back, the so called groom started abusing his wife after the wedding, and forced her to have an abortion which was totally against her beliefs. 5 months after the wedding, her parents came up to visit and ended up moving her out of there and bringing her to her grandparents home so she wouldn't have to deal with the questions from her friends until she was ready.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 43

that IS sad! I hope you have a good contract icon_wink.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 43

LOL, not at the break up, the cancellation insurance doesn't cover the change of heart.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 43

And that everything was paid in advance and they know it's all non-refundable.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 43

I'm curious..did they pay in advance? Did YOU loose money on this?

leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 43

YES, there is change of heart/cold feet wedding insurance. Absolutely.

indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

YES, there is change of heart/cold feet wedding insurance. Absolutely.

This articles specifically cites Fireman's Fund as having a rider to cover cold feet cancellations: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/insurance/2007-05-13-weddinginsurance_N.htm

leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 43

This is exactly what Wedding Insurance covers. All those contracts with non-refundable deposits or required final payments that have occurred prior to the cancellation. The insurance comes in and pays that stuff. Makes it hurt a little less.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:48pm
post #14 of 43

Wow I never heard of cold feet insurance.

Imagine this...he's down on one knee proposing and after she says yes, he whips out the cancellation insurance.

How romantic. icon_razz.gif

OP...did they ask for a refund?

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:59pm
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

......Imagine this...he's down on one knee proposing and after she says yes, he whips out the cancellation insurance.

How romantic. icon_razz.gif .......

followed by a prenup icon_biggrin.gif

ive been at a wedding where the 5 couples at our table are taking bets on how long the marriage would last (11 mths btw ).... its easier to get married than it is to get divorced, glad she found out before the wedding

indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 43
Quote:

It may be relatively new or a specialty item from some insurance companies. I know when I was researching this topic about 5 years ago, most of what I found said flat out, "It doesn't cover cold feet cancellations." That's why, when I found this article, that I saved it because it was a different viewpoint than what all the others were saying. And the fact that it named a specific company that provided this coverage gave it credibility.

cakesbycathy Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:01pm
post #17 of 43

I was at DH's cousin's wedding and the BRIDE was going around telling everyone that if the groom didn't change his ways, well she would just get divorced icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:13pm
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I was at DH's cousin's wedding and the BRIDE was going around telling everyone that if the groom didn't change his ways, well she would just get divorced icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

I worked with someone who told us that she didn't really "love" her husband when they got married but if it didn't get better, "we'll just get divorced, no big deal." icon_eek.gif

Unraveling a legal contract (and marriage IS a legal contract) is always more work than people think. How many of us know poeple who STARTED OUT trying to get a "nice and friendly divorce", using no attorney or using the same one for both of them. Those *SO* rarely work.

It's amazing how crazy people get when they are dividing up stuff. I'll admit mine ... when we got divorced, one of our biggest custody battle was over who got the Kirby sweeper! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:19pm
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I worked with someone who told us that she didn't really "love" her husband when they got married but if it didn't get better, "we'll just get divorced, no big deal." icon_eek.gif

OMG.....

Debi, one of my hair clients told me this very thing just last year.

She told me that she "loves" her DH because he's a kind man, but that she's never been "in love" with him. He doesn't and never had made her heart skip a beat, were her exact words. I was shocked and didn't know how to respond to her.

They have grandchildren for crying out loud.....so unfair to him that she feels this way. icon_sad.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 43
Quote:

The marriage lasted less than a year (surprise, surprise).
She paid off her car, all her bills and bought a new condo before she served him with divorce papers.
He never saw it coming. And then he lost his job the next day.

I will say that he is a complete jerk, but I did feel bad for him that week.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:15pm
post #21 of 43
Quote:

Imagine this...he's down on one knee proposing and after she says yes, he whips out the cancellation insurance.

How romantic. icon_razz.gif

OP...did they ask for a refund?

LOL! I never heard of it either. lol. I am wondering how many people actually purchase it.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:23pm
post #22 of 43

I imagine this kind of insurance is purchased more by jumpy dads who are paying a lot of money for their child's wedding, while maybe not being 100% sure about their offspring's choice of life-partner!

Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:12pm
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

I imagine this kind of insurance is purchased more by jumpy dads who are paying a lot of money for their child's wedding, while maybe not being 100% sure about their offspring's choice of life-partner!

ahhhh that's a very good point.

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:29pm
post #24 of 43

I worked with a girl (and yes, she was a 20-something girl - no offense) that got married and was helping another co-worker with her wedding. Looking at wedding dresses, she actually said the words, "The next time I get married, I'll do this . . ." I can't even remember what she said after she said "The next time" because I was floored. Another girl and I looked at each other and our mouths dropped open. Sure enough, a divorce and a few years later, she got married again.

And the other girl she was helping never made it to the alter thankfully. We didn't know at the time that she was cheating on him and he was the sweetest guy too. We just refer to him as the "lucky bastard".

indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #25 of 43

dljc, sounds like what I describe as "She's more in love wiht the IDEA of getting married than she is with BEING married."

"Lucky bastard"...... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:37pm
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

dljc, sounds like what I describe as "She's more in love wiht the IDEA of getting married than she is with BEING married."

That or he came from money. The funny thing is Husband #2 was one of the guys that had been sleeping with the other friend thumbsdown.gif (who was engaged to "lucky bastard"). Years later, she seems happily married with 2 kids, or so I hear through the grape vine. I hope so when there are tots involved.

"Lucky bastard" also recovered nicely and has a sweet little girl of his own. thumbs_up.gif

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:44pm
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljc

I worked with a girl (and yes, she was a 20-something girl - no offense) that got married and was helping another co-worker with her wedding. Looking at wedding dresses, she actually said the words, "The next time I get married, I'll do this . . ." I can't even remember what she said after she said "The next time" because I was floored. Another girl and I looked at each other and our mouths dropped open. Sure enough, a divorce and a few years later, she got married again.

And the other girl she was helping never made it to the alter thankfully. We didn't know at the time that she was cheating on him and he was the sweetest guy too. We just refer to him as the "lucky bastard".

Lol, Whenever anyone tells me "you have a good man" (when he is in earshot), I always say, " yeah he's OK for a first husband".

I got married when I was twenty and absolutely love my husband with all my heart. He still makes me smile as soon as he walks in a room.. Not just because I can hand over the kids either, lol. I do have a few friends who got married just to have a wedding and I feel so sorry for them.

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm
post #28 of 43

geez! I'm re-married and wish I would have spent the money on the second wedding icon_smile.gif Boy, I would have made myself one hell of a cake if I know what I know now!

I actually got an awesome divorce though (besides him taking all my money!). $300 online file, not court or attorney. 90 day wait, and then done. Piece of Cake! Blissfully happy now. icon_smile.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:57pm
post #29 of 43

i heard the term "starter marriage" a few years ago - basically for the young and silly that get their heads snapped around by the thought of the dresses and flowers and pretty sparkly things and the attention

then reality hits about it being for the rest. of. their. lives. and i im not surprised that a high percentage generally dont last

my sister married at 17 and has been married for more than 31yrs and is still happy - young marriages do work, i think you have to be realistic about life though.

oh, my family is italian and hubbys is greek and ive told hubby, i will be a widow but not a divorcee icon_biggrin.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:11pm
post #30 of 43

OP... So what happen?

I too love my husband to death (I eloped) I still get butterflys just talking about him, I truly believe he is my soulmate.

And hope to have enough money to have a big wedding nothing fancy and by big I mean just having a party that will last till the next morning, in a big o ranch with loud music n man okay Im day dreaming again lol !!!!

Well cmon OP I want to hear what happen?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%