What??!! Wedding Cancelled??!!

Lounge By deb12g Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 2:28pm by KHalstead

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:31pm
post #31 of 43

Our very good friend, an Episcopal Priest, always says that if couples put as much time and energy into planning the marriage as they do the wedding we'd see a lot fewer divorces.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:53pm
post #32 of 43

Most wedding insurance is to cover problems that come up and prevent the wedding from happening, not cold feet. I don't even know if that would be covered. I had a bride whose wedding was rained out, it was at a plantation home out in the boonies, and there were torrential floods covering all the roads leading there. She had bought insurance, and was able to recoup the cost of the vendors who didn't make it out there (I did, of course, no flood will stop me! I've floated through worse than that icon_wink.gif )

I have two wedding cancellation stories...The first was the bride who got a phone call from the groom's mistress AFTER the rehearsal dinner. She told the bride that her fiance had been dating her for over a year. This was after he'd just gone through the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner without saying anything! What a jerk.

The second was the bride who I basically had to chase down for payment, and the only reason I let it go so long was that she was working with a planner who kept begging me to give her more time. The final payment came in in bits and pieces three days before the wedding. So I made the cake, then about 11pm the night before the wedding the planner called, saying that the wedding was cancelled! The bride still wanted the cake, since there was a hotel full of out-of-town guests. (I delivered it in sections, not stacked, I figured they didn't want to look at a stacked wedding cake at that point!)

Nytepyre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nytepyre Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:18am
post #33 of 43

I had a friend just last week get married to a woman we ALL think is bad news. She's walked out on 4, yes FOUR other weddings at the last minute, I still don't know how she made it all the way down the aisle to marry poor James. I do hope they'll be happy together, but her track record is.....well....

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:00am
post #34 of 43

love your quote ayerim979! I believe that. my husband always tell me that he loves me for my "physical errors". it's what we call the strange things that make you original. could drive some nuts, but only one will find endearing! icon_smile.gif way off topic, but true!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:02am
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytepyre

I had a friend just last week get married to a woman we ALL think is bad news. She's walked out on 4, yes FOUR other weddings at the last minute, I still don't know how she made it all the way down the aisle to marry poor James. I do hope they'll be happy together, but her track record is.....well....

Ugh, don't you hate that? We went to a wedding once where everyone was saying "Maybe he'll change his mind, he still has time." Poor guy.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #36 of 43

Sometimes people who are not in love but have the same aspirations can be happy and have a good marriage. My mom had only met my dad ONCE (she was 14 when they met) before they got married. She met him at 14, he went away to bootcamp, she was 15 when he came back and he went to the store she worked at and asked her if she wanted to get married that nite (her parents were livid!)...lol...and they did...eloped (Dillon, SC you can marry at 14, 15 or 16 without parental permission even still)...Fifty two years and 3 kids and 5 continents later they loved each other till she passed 3 years ago. Sometimes TOO much emotion can be detrimental to a marriage. My mom said she didn't love my dad, that she didn't even really know what getting married was all about, she thought it was like going to a dance...They had their ups and downs in the beginning but they both were committed to family...so it worked...But that's not usually the case esp in this day and time.

Oh one other note, since my mom lived in NC and my dad (that devil) knew he didn't want to get in trouble for taking a minor over state line (dad was 1icon_cool.gif when they got to the state line he stopped and made her walk across the line...haha

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:42am
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Ugh, don't you hate that? We went to a wedding once where everyone was saying "Maybe he'll change his mind, he still has time." Poor guy.

for our friend James, i has saying to hubby "you should talk to him..." but hubby wanted to stay out of it because he doubted his friend would listen plus he most prob lose him as a friend. in hindsight our friend agrees he wouldnt have listened - but hes been with a great woman for about 8yrs now so some things are meant to be

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:32pm
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Sometimes TOO much emotion can be detrimental to a marriage. They had their ups and downs in the beginning but they both were committed to family...so it worked...But that's not usually the case esp in this day and time.

Oh one other note, since my mom lived in NC and my dad (that devil) knew he didn't want to get in trouble for taking a minor over state line (dad was 1icon_cool.gif when they got to the state line he stopped and made her walk across the line...haha

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif That is one smart devilish man, your Dad is! icon_twisted.gif

I got married young. My husband and I are 10 years apart and I truely believe that has helped keep us grounded so much. A relationship can only handle so much, and if you have two kids trying to act like adults it's not going to wk.

My family does not believe in divorce. You get married not divorced. That's how I was raised. Family is everything and you put your everything into family.

Some times some ppl wake up and they just dont love each other-for what ever reason. But if you wk at it and WANT it to wk then it will. It takes allot of wk from both parties.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:57pm
post #39 of 43

A friend of mine got married at 19 and divorced 6 mths later, the entire realtionship including dating was only 9mths long.
I asked why he even got married int he first place he told "I thought that's what you did"???
I don't think people really get what it's about, some do but the majority don't.
Weddings are like the new mixed tape, you give one to whoever your dating at that time and when your done dating just take it back.

cplfernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cplfernandez Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 1:32am
post #40 of 43

My marriage is, for both of us, our second marriage. But this one is a keeper! he just got me a kitchenaid 600 pro for valentines day!!!

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:08am
post #41 of 43

So sad that so many marriages end in divorce. It can happen for many reasons, but I hate to see young marriages happen so fast and sadly end just as quickly. It gives us, the happy young married's a bad name. My husband and I started dating at 16!! We get married in 2002 when we were 22, and are still happy at 30. We have 2 beautiful girls and life couldn't be better. It helps to be grounded and dedicated icon_smile.gif Marriage is hard, no doubt, and it isn't something to go into lightly. But, anyways, OP, did you have to refund any money?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:30am
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplfernandez

My marriage is, for both of us, our second marriage. But this one is a keeper! he just got me a kitchenaid 600 pro for valentines day!!!

thumbs_up.gif He IS a keeper!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:28pm
post #43 of 43

I dated my first husband (yeah first) for almost 10 yrs. (just barely 13 y.o. to 22 yr. old) we got married, 4 months later I filed for divorce.
Fast forward 1 yr. was introduced to my now hubby by email exchange (his friend met my BFF on the internet) we saw eachother 3 times before I moved from Ohio to NJ to marry him! We've been married 6 yrs. and have 2 children, moved back to Ohio and I am soooooooo in love with this man!

I swear I loved him more before I ever saw him than I loved my first husband after 10 yrs. together. I, like someone else mentioned never felt that puppy love toward my first husband. It was more that he REALLy liked me and was persistent and I gave in, he was a really nice guy, just not for me!

Now I'm happily married and so is he, just not to eachother lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%