Coloring Bc Frosting Red

Decorating By lmburlingame Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm by ailika

lmburlingame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmburlingame Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone.

I'm a complete newb to this site, but from what I've seen so far, I LOVE it! Anyway, this has probably been asked before, but how do you color home made BC frosting red? I'm using Wilton Red Red, No Taste Red, and Christmas Red (sometimes all 3 at the same time) but it always comes out hot pink - not so good for a boy's cake. LOL. I've also tried putting cranberry or cherry juice in it as well to give it a base color. So far, it's still pink. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 9

First of all, toss the wilton colors (sorry Wilton)....if you have a local cake supply store call and ask if they carry "americolor gels" icing colors. They have a super red and it literally takes 2 drops to color a whole bowl of white icing a nice dark red! Also it has absolutely NO TASTE whatsoever

Welcome to CC, you'll love it here!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 9

Another vote for Americolor Super Red. It will never let you down! It's super concentrated and has no taste whatsoever. It's awesome!

lmburlingame Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 9

Fantastic! Thanks so much for the advice! icon_smile.gif I'll def be trying that soon as I'm making both a train cake (& need something for the caboose) and a Superman cake soon. No one wants to see a hot pink Superman. icon_wink.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 9

Intense colors like navy blue; brown; black and red are very hard to achieve.
Make the colors at least the night before you need them. The colors develops over time and when exposed to air.
Yes, AmeriColor is good.
Also, tint your icing a deep pink, yellow or orange before you add the red gel.
You can also use liquid color as the liquid instead of water/milk when mixing up the icing - especially if making a large amount.
Lastly, if flavoring isn't minded you can add some UNsweetened Kool Aid powder - about 1/8th tsp per cup. This definitely needs to be done the night before. When ready to use it it might have dots of dark color - just mix it up well and the color will smooth out and be great. The flavor is a + icon_smile.gif

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with kakeladi I tried making black & it turned purplish blue ugh!

lmburlingame Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 9

I've had that problem w/black, too, but what I usually do anymore is put some cocoa powder in so I have chocolate frosting. Then I add the black and it seems to work out ok. I do the same with MMF.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 9

I've used Americolor Super Red for years with excellent, deep red results, but recently started using Chefmaster Super Red with equally excellent results.

It takes only a few minutes and the color is quite brilliant. The additional bonus is that these two brands do not impart any bitter taste to the icing like the Wilton colors do.

You certainly do not have to start coloring your icing the night before you need to use it. How impractical that would be! LOL

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 9

Oh thanks lmburlingame I was knocking my head with this I was going to use the whole jar but then I was wondering if it would alter the taste of the fondant so I left it purple/blue picture that for a man hahaha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%