Is This Real Lace Or Piping>

Decorating By Michele01 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 7:20pm by all4cake

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 45

Hello everyone! I have a potential customer wanting me to price quote this cake. The only problem is that I can't tell if the lace and bow are real or not. I know the bow could be done in fondant/gumpaste, but could someone really pipe this design on a cake. If so, I know I am not the decorator for this job. lol Can anyone give me some insight on this? Thanks. icon_smile.gif
LL

44 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 45

It looks like real lace to me, but ...

I would hate to think how much time that would take!! ...even if I COULD do it!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 45

I also think it looks real. If it's piped, I bow to the talent that created that cake! icon_surprised.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 45

I think it looks like real lace, but yes, you can make that edible...and yes, it would be VERY expensive.

Michele01 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 45

I know, right. icon_smile.gif I think the lace and the bow look like fabric. The way the bow is laying on the bottom is making me wonder if it's fondant though. Hmm....I guess I'll have to wait and see what others think. Thanks

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 45

I don't have the best monitor in the world (real old), but it looks like lace. But I have seen this designed piped. they piped all the criss cross part and the bigger pieces are a lace mold. It looks very pretty when piped.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 45

The only thing is, if it was real lace you'd have to sew it or fold it to make it fit the cake and I don't see any seams anywhere.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 45

Maybe it is lace molds for the big pieces and SugarVeil for the rest?

Brandy982006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandy982006 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 45

I think its the lace molds. I saw a tutorial on youtube or something like that. It doesn't look as hard to make as one might think. Although, I have never done it before but the video made it look pretty easy.

cagirlygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cagirlygirl Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 45

I was thinking about seams, too... but maybe they're just on the back side of the cake? Either way, it's pretty spectacular!

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 45

I think it is lace piped and fondant ribbon, I just found this website that has a cake almost identical and says that it is handpiped and fondant ribbon, here is the link to see http://suzifiner.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/01/index.html

sugarlicious Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #12 of 45

Ok the link doesn't work try to type in http://suzifiner.typepad.com and see if it will bring to the site

sugarlicious Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm
post #13 of 45

Hmmm ok going to try something else, here is the comment written under the cake " Gotta love this highly detailed hand-piped lace cake. Only the fondant ribbon is made of fondant (stability issuesicon_wink.gif the rest of the icing is pure-good butter creme " and I am going to try and attach a pic of the cake.
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #14 of 45

I wonder if they laid lace over the cake, spread BC over the lace, then picked the lace up, leaving a BC pattern as the lace pulled thru the BC? I've never done it .... but it seems that I've seen this done somewhere. icon_confused.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 45

Much better picture. Hand piped with lace mold pieces.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:08pm
post #16 of 45

I attended a wedding where the cake had cut doilies attached to it ... was not as beautiful

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:08pm
post #17 of 45

Wow! I have no clue but I will say that is BEAUTIFUL

sugarlicious Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:09pm
post #18 of 45

I found more info on this cake was made by Patrick Hansen of Hansen's Cakes Beverley Hills.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 11:52pm
post #19 of 45

I had a bride show up with that picture. It's not fabric lace. I declined the job.

Michele01 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:28am
post #20 of 45

I think I am with Leah_s I don't think this is a cake that I want to deal with. I am all for trying new things, but this is a little much. Thanks everyone. icon_smile.gif

Brandy982006 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:51am
post #21 of 45

here is what I found on making sugarveil lace...so pretty.

Brandy982006 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #22 of 45

I forgot to add the link, LOL

http://www.sugarveil.com/mat/index.htm

Brandy982006 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:01am
post #23 of 45

On this page you can get an actual pattern to use for piping on lace.

http://www.sugarveil.com/icing_dispenser/design_patterns.htm

I would love to try this on a cake icon_surprised.gif)

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #24 of 45

Here I found a detail - the cake itself isn't complicated, but very tedious.

The lace background (and the blue flowers) are simply white (and blue) dots, with piped gimps (the contours of the flowers). The bottom edge of the lace isn't again complicated - simply blue lines. With enough precision, piping skills and patience it can be done. I am lacemaker too, and would like to try a simple pattern on cake one day...

I would probably try instead of the hundreds dots use tulle without pattern to impress the background and paint the flowers (and then overpipe).

The cake is a wonderful idea, beautifully done, but it would be really expensive cake to duplicate it.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:02pm
post #25 of 45

IMO - looking at the 2nd picture, they have used something to TEXTURE the white buttercream first, then piped the blue over it - it gives the illusion that it is lace. That white is not piped IMO.....just the blue is.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:27pm
post #26 of 45

Loucinda,
the reason why I say it is piped is because I enlarged the photo I attached in my previous post. I THINK to see these tiny peaks you sometimes get when piping dots quickly and not going over them again with brush. But I agree, texture the buttercream would go much faster.

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:39pm
post #27 of 45

I think they are two different cakes. The boards are different, as are the bows and the placement of the flowers. Which one is the original?

I could be mistaken though.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:42pm
post #28 of 45
Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm
post #29 of 45

No, I still think it is textured. I have done it (not as nice as this!) I used a piece of copper that I bought at Michaels - it made that same texture almost to a T. (I used it for a football cake, textured it, then used viva over it to knock down the little points that the texturing caused) I will see if I can find a link to the piece I used. (I am talking about the 2nd pic posted, not the first one)

Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:58pm
post #30 of 45

Here is kind of what I used: (scroll down to see the finer kinds - the first pic is not the one I used - it was a finer mesh)

http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/category/~category_id=TWPCAT_3;jsessionid=DB56122225935B74CFCE32BB0BFB3AB7.jvm1

I got mine at Michaels, and cut it into a workable size piece. It made that exact pattern on the cake. Not sure if that is how they did it, but I know it is REALLY close.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%