How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1081 of 1361

Those are cute! I would stay w/ toothpicks b/c of food safety & wire. You could brush some colored chocolate on the toothpick if you're worried about appearance

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #1082 of 1361

Oooo good thinking dandelion. Thanks!

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:48am
post #1083 of 1361

Cruffles are slowly becoming my favorite thing to make! Everyone loves them and they are so easy to make! Here is my newest creation: The Lemon-Blueberry Cruffle icon_biggrin.gif It is my divine lemon cake with my even more divine blueberry cream cheese icing! I was going to do a yellow and blue drizzle on top, but I forgot to buy some :p

Question: How in the world are your cruffles coming out so smooth? My cruffles are perfectly round and not gooshy, but still don't come out as well...
LL
LL

Rhinestonegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhinestonegirl Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:25pm
post #1084 of 1361

I discovered cb when looking for items for a dessert buffet and I AM HOOKEDicon_biggrin.gif
It took 3 days but I finally read all 73 pages and loved every minute thanks ladies.

Question: Did we get results on using poured fondant?
Suggestion: I did not see this mentioned but I use the whipped version of frosting and found it to have a lighter texture for binding not too sweet.
Love this thread I am a fan!

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #1085 of 1361

on the smoothness, have you tried freezing your balls for a bit before you dip, maybe 30 minutes, although I have totally forgotten mine int he freezer and it still worked. Also the temperature of the chocolate is pretty important. If it is too hot it is thinner and therefore not as smooth.

That is all I can think of, but may come up with other ideas later.

I don't actually use frosting for my binder, I find it too sweet.

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 14 May 2010 , 7:25am
post #1086 of 1361

I freeze mine about 30 minutes before dipping. Could it be that I use bark coating instead of melting chocolates? I have yet to use melting chocolates, but may do so just to see if there is a difference.

deMuralist, what do you use as your binder? Also, hello to you, my fellow middle Tennesseean!

deMuralist Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:13am
post #1087 of 1361

Hi LaBoulangerie! I had been on this thread a while ago but stopped getting notices and forgot about it till yesterday.

For my red velvet I use just cream cheese with a bit of powdered sugar.

For the coconut I use a mixture that is pretty much like the inside of a mounds bar.

for the almond I use almond paste (my mind is not working this morning, I would have to look that up to be sure)

etc...

I try to keep the flavoring separate from the sweetening to the extent that I can so that by giving the cake bite mixture more flavor I don't have to make them sweeter.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:04am
post #1088 of 1361

I have tried to get caught up on all the pages here but it is a lot! Love this thread.

WHITE CHOCOLATE ? What do you use when you dip in 'white chocolate'. I think the almond bark and candy melts are actually vanilla flavored. Although I think that would still work fine and taste good I was curious about what others use.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:10am
post #1089 of 1361

see i never use candy melts, i used white chocolate wafers, or milk chocolate wafers, from bulk barn icon_smile.gif

deMuralist Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:23pm
post #1090 of 1361

I also use chocolate wafers, Merkens, I get them from a local cake supply store.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:29pm
post #1091 of 1361

I haven't had time to read through this whole thread but I'd really like to try making these. Anyone have an idea for Snickers cake balls? I have ingredients left over from a Snickers cake and would like to make them into balls. I have chocolate cake, caramel with peanuts and chocolate buttercream left. I had a nougat flavored filling for the cake but used all of that.

deMuralist Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:21am
post #1092 of 1361

sounds yummy, just add the buttercream a little at a time till you get a consistency that will do a little bit better than just hold together. Freeze em for 30 minutes or so, and start dipping. Hard to go wrong here.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:44am
post #1093 of 1361

I just made some out of boxed carrot cake and canned cream cheese frosting....now, I realize you all know this is coming but......YUCK! I dunno what kind of cake that was but carrot cake it was not. I'd only made them once before with some left over chocolate WASC and buttercream, but they were too sweet for me, so I thought I'd just grab a box of cake mix and try again.....bad idea!

deMuralist Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #1094 of 1361

Too sweet, is the reason I try to separate the moisture from the sweetener (ie. cream cheese is added separately from powdered sugar for my red velvet bites, etc), straight buttercream is too sweet for me unless you are able to adjust the sweetness of the cake or use a less sweet cake to start with. Personally, I never use box cake or canned icing, I am too much of a control freak to let someone else choose my ingredients.

dandelion56602 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:20am
post #1095 of 1361

Ok ladies. I need your suggestions. I've just received an order for 4 dozen cake bites for Wed night. Needless to say I do not have time to order shallow pizza boxes for delivery. And I only have a Hobby Lobby at my disposal. What size box would you recommend. I do have a few different size cake boxes at my house. They are all at least 5" deep. I wish I had more notice, but I won't turn down an order b/c I don't have the "right" box

deMuralist Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:28am
post #1096 of 1361

do you think they have pie boxes? or maybe something flowers come in?

have you asked at your bakery in the grocery store, or even at a local pizza parlor?

dandelion56602 Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #1097 of 1361

I will go by Kroger to see if they might sell me a couple of pie boxes. Also, do you put each ball in a paper cup? Others have had plates they wanted them arranged on so I just put them on the plates/platters. If I can't find a small enough box, any tips to keep them from sliding everywhere?

deMuralist Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #1098 of 1361

I do usually put them each in a paper "cup". If I have too much space I will put a bit of colored saran wrap down and bunch it up around the individual bites.

dandelion56602 Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:37pm
post #1099 of 1361

Thanks so much

cupcakeatheart Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #1100 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I haven't had time to read through this whole thread but I'd really like to try making these. Anyone have an idea for Snickers cake balls? I have ingredients left over from a Snickers cake and would like to make them into balls. I have chocolate cake, caramel with peanuts and chocolate buttercream left. I had a nougat flavored filling for the cake but used all of that.

I just made a Turtle one that was very similar to that:
Chocolate cake, mixed with toasted pecans, caramel sundae topping and chocolate icing....I rolled it up and then dipped it in caramel again, put it in the freezer and then dipped it in chocolate. Fabulous!

GrandmaG Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #1101 of 1361

Thanks Cupcakeatheart! That's exactly what I was wanting to do. Maybe coat with peanut butter flavored melts for that Snickers nougat flavor.

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:50pm
post #1102 of 1361

That sounds really good!! I have just been sticking to the basics....choc, vanilla red velvet , strawberry and coconut.

Has anyone rolled a cake ball without using a binder? I have some chocolate cake that I ground up and chilled and it is rolling up without a binder. Should I just leave it or should I add my usual ganache to it?

Thanks
Kerry

deMuralist Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #1103 of 1361

I am afraid if you add the ganache, it will get gooey. But for me the big flavor bang comes from the binder. I would try to think of a way of adding extra flavor without too much extra moisture...Maybe mini chocolate chips or other crushed candy? this seems like a good time to experiment with it.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:35pm
post #1104 of 1361

I stopped getting updates as well...

But I think I missed out on 20-something pages worth of info! I love the wedding blog that was posted and the packaging website that was posted closer to page 70-something.

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1105 of 1361

I haven't had a chance to read through all 74 pages yet, but I was just wondering...Has anyone tried a Boston Cream version? I would think yellow/butter cake with pudding or custard binder covered in chocolate. I started to read it and this is what came to my mind. Sorry if this is a duplicate...

Jen

cupcakeatheart Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1106 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Thanks Cupcakeatheart! That's exactly what I was wanting to do. Maybe coat with peanut butter flavored melts for that Snickers nougat flavor.

That sounds awesome! I may have to try that this weekend too.

motherofgrace Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:27pm
post #1107 of 1361

hey all im experimenting lol, and was wondering if anyone knew an idea for a TOFFEE binder?

I cannot for the life of me fine the toffee creamer here!

Any ideas?

GrandmaG Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:37pm
post #1108 of 1361

Can you get Toffee Coffee flavoring like Torani's? Maybe add some to some buttercream.

motherofgrace Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:51pm
post #1109 of 1361

ok i will see if i can find that!

dandelion56602 Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:42am
post #1110 of 1361

Well I had luck finding a box. I went by Kroger to ask about a pie box. They were busy and I noticed people loading up donut boxes. So I grabbed a couple and they each easily fit 2 dozen. They would fit 2 1/2 dozen but I'd rather divide the order in 1/2. But I was also wondering about gift boxes (like shirt boxes). They don't touch the box b/c of the mini cups. Just a thought

So, guess I'm off to roll 4 dozen balls after Housewives of NJ icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%