Disco Dust..confused..safe Or Not

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 3:18am by diane706

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:37am
post #1 of 6

I've seen both cookies and cakes with this stuff on it...love the look BUT after reading up on it i'm very confused. Here is what I found on just one website when talking about this stuff.."Non-toxic. Made in the USA *Please note that these dusts are not a food product and should not be considered as such. " I kept looking and i kept finding that it's not edible. The part i'm confused about then is WHY would they show a cupcake with this dust sprinkled ontop of it???? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif It clearly looks like they are trying to sell this as an edible product. I saw cakes etc..with it too. If it's not a food product WHY would you put it on food???? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
Please clarify this for me. Like i said earlier i love the look of it but would never want to feed someone somthing that isn't suppose to be eaten.

Also, for those who have used it on food...is it gritty?

5 replies
TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:00am
post #2 of 6

I believe that it is only to be used in small amounts as decoration only--it is meant to be used on food. It may be that it is just non-nutritive, or it may contain something which, while non-toxic, should not be eaten in large quantities.

(Just because something is not edible doesn't mean it is unsafe to eat.)

Those little packets of desiccant that come in shoe boxes, etc. labeled in large letters DO NOT EAT are a perfect example. My son ate the entire contents of one, prompting a call to poison control, who told me they are perfectly safe to eat (similar to eating large grains of sand), but are labeled that way because they are just not considered edible. lol sure freaked me out though.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:08am
post #3 of 6

What is the difference between Luster dust & Disco dust?

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 6

i agree with titiaM..

i guess its kind of like elmer's glue.. in school kids would eat that stuff along with glitter and other crafty things and you'd think that one day they'd poop out an ornament.

there are some things that you can eat such as disco that are considered non edible, mostly because you would/should never see someone eating an entire jar of it.

small quantities are not going to harm someone. and are perfectly fine to use on cakes cookies and so on

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:25am
post #5 of 6

The place I buy it from has some colors edible and some non edible. Example: Rainbow gold is edible, plain gold is non edible. The pink, viiolet, blue are edible. I don't know what the difference is. You might want to see want to see which you're reading about. HTH

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:18am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkfayex

...and you'd think that one day they'd poop out an ornament.

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%