What's Your Most Important Piece Of Equipment?

Business By Jenthecakelady Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm by Jenthecakelady

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 20

Here's the backstory...My dad and step-mom own a restaurant and cater. They are looking to expand their catering business and offer only home made pies, cakes, and cookies. That's where I come in. I am going to start out making the restaurant's pies and cookies and as my skills improve eventually we will offer wedding cakes and more elaborate special occaision cakes. We have a separate building across the street from the restaurant that will house the catering kitchen/bakery. This is starting out small and we do not want to borrow any money and will be purchasing things as we go.

So I am wondering what one piece of equipment can you not live without (other than the obvious ovens, mixers, and coolers)? Thanks so much for your responses-this will help me make/organize my "wish list".

19 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 20

A cake leveler is a must for me.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 20

Agbay cake torter, expensive but soooo worth it.
Offset spatulas, can't have enough of those
fat daddio cake pans, love them
fat daddio metal cake turner (what are those things called again)
I don't have one, but a fondant/dough sheeter would be awesome if you do alot of fondant....otherwise
a pasta roller, I have the kind that goes on my KA and love it.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 20

I don't think I can live without a bench and a turn table.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 20

A large wooden heavy work surface. Not some flimsy SS table. A big heavy wood one for rolling dough, and such.

Mike

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 20

Honestly, It is the Agbay cutter. It just takes all the stress out of 'levelling a cake'

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 20

In order of importance to me.....

stand mixer
high quality pans (magic line)
Agbay
turntable

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 20

A sheeter. Not only great for pie and cookie dough, but for fondant as well. Saves SOOOOOOOOOOO much time.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 20

I also wanted to add RACKS you'll need at the very minimum 1-20, and 1-12 rack. Don't skimp on the sheet trays either.

Mike

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 20

Agbay
good turntable
high quality pans - Magic Line (nothing else compares)
lots of spatulas

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 20

Exactly what dkelly and leah_s said.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 20

I love my ateco 14" serrated knife for leveling and torting. I can't afford the agby so i bought this and I love love love it.

for smoothing buttercream I use my bench scraper and a turntable, which I could not live without.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm
post #13 of 20

Turntable
Bench scraper
Offset (cranked) spatulas - one small, one large
PVC pipe rolling pin
Rolling pin rings
Pizza cutter
Craft knife
Toothpicks
Long serrated knife
Measuring tape
Paint brushes
Cutters (lots and lots of cutters)
and....
Patience!

And these are all fairly cheap if you don't want to spend much money

Jenthecakelady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm
post #14 of 20

An agbay was #1 on my list. Guess I was right there! Thanks so much for all your input!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:57pm
post #15 of 20

I was just checking my answer and I forgot to add scraper, hehe.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:26pm
post #16 of 20

grease trap...seeing as that is the only reason my storefront is not open yet. I have to get an inground one. =( We're talking mucho mucho dinero $$$$$$!

theSophistiCakesshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theSophistiCakesshoppe Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:09pm
post #17 of 20

Why does it have to be "in-ground"? Doesn't Texas allow the box to sit on the floor next to the sink? Here in Michigan we buy a $400.00 trap, attach it to the sink pipes and the floor drain and poof your done! It isn't really that easy but sounds a lot cheaper that what you have to do.
So sorry,and I hope you get it up and running soon and very soon.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSophistiCakesshoppe

Why does it have to be "in-ground"? Doesn't Texas allow the box to sit on the floor next to the sink? Here in Michigan we buy a $400.00 trap, attach it to the sink pipes and the floor drain and poof your done! It isn't really that easy but sounds a lot cheaper that what you have to do.
So sorry,and I hope you get it up and running soon and very soon.

i was thinking the same thing......the government can have way way to many rules, it just really hinders people, it's maddening.

a few years ago i was reading on here where one gal ended up having to have 8 handsinks in her shop...health dept was just nuts in her area.

anyway i guess i got off subject.

big mixer is #1....you said not to list mixers...but a little one will really slow you down...and you can't have enough spatulas and canvas bags and tips.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm
post #19 of 20

A great website like CC to encourage you...or calm you down!

Jenthecakelady Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

big mixer is #1....you said not to list mixers...but a little one will really slow you down...and you can't have enough spatulas and canvas bags and tips.

I think we are looking at buying a 12-20 quart mixer to start off with and then also getting a small Kitchenaid to keep there too. Then after a few years when business has increased possibly getting a larger mixer depending on our needs. I lucked out-there is a 20 qt hobart on craigslist that looks like it is good condition that we are going to look at soon.

We are lucky with our HD. We have a lot of regulations here, but they love my dad and step-mom because the restaurant they bought was at one time a very popular eatery that was sold and then run into the ground by the new owners. It was dirty, gross food, bad business practices, etc. They have done and are still doing a lot to improve it and the people of the little town it is in are very appreciative of that, so in turn the HD not only tells us what is wrong, but what we can do to be better.

On another note-I am scheduled to take my ServSafe test later this month so things are definitely moving along.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%