Anyone Else Think Cupcake At A Wedding Are Tacky?

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 12:38am by jammjenks

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 86

Every wedding that I go to I always first take a look at the wedding cake and of course critique it icon_smile.gif I've been to 3 in the last 2 months. One of them was absolutely beautiful! It was at the Navy Shipyard in Boston, right on the water overlooking the city. Just beautiful and extremely elegant! When we went into the reception I noticed that they didn't have a cake at all, just cupcakes. I thought this was extremely tacky considering how elegant and EXPENSIVE this wedding was (seriously, about 200 people and they had open bar all night!) Seriously! Cupcakes? I thought for sure she would have had a beautiful cake to go with her beautiful wedding. What does everyone else think?

85 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 86

I think it's possible to do cupcakes tactfully for a wedding. I think the cupcakes are only as nice as the stand they're presented on though. You can take the fanciest cupcakes ever and put them on one of those cardboard stands and it looks trashy!

If it's a nice painted wooden stand with beautiful ribbons/fresh flowers around the cupcakes I think they can be just as pretty as a cake...sometimes!

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 86

I think that whether you choose cupcakes or cake, it can turn out tacky. I've seen cupcake towers beautifully done and find them quite elegant. And I've seen the ugly plain cupcakes... and that goes for wedding cakes too! It takes a lot of detail and care for making beautiful cupcakes so I don't believe they are all tacky.

It all depends, just like a regular wedding cake. I love cupcakes!!! And hopefully I'll throw a big party next year for my bday or anniversary or something icon_biggrin.gif and I'll do cupcakes! icon_biggrin.gif just my honest opinion!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 86

No....

I have seen some absolutley stunning cupcake set ups for weddings - just the same as i have seen some bloody horrid 4 tier wedding cakes.

Depends on who made the cakes - and how they are set up i guess.

Cupcakes over here are more expensive than what a stacked wedding cake can be - because of the time and detail involved.
Especially if they are boxed then tired with a ribbon and little card.

I have an order for a wedding late November -
418 Yellow Gerbera cupcakes.

And there won't be anything tacky about them - thats for sure. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 86

Cupcakes can be the most stunning little creations in cake ever made. Tacky ain't defined by the size of the cake. icon_wink.gif

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 86

I do a lot of beach weddings and our cupcake towers are really poplular because then guests do not have to have a plate and a fork they just have their cupcake. We also provide a six inch cake that tops the cupcake tower so that the couple can still have their cake cutting phots.

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Cupcakes can be the most stunning little creations in cake ever made. Tacky ain't defined by the size of the cake. icon_wink.gif

With that said, I won't do them though, I don't have the patience for it. I'll make a dozen or so in addition to a wedding cake, for the kids, but not a straight up order of cupcakes by themselves.

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 86

I believe that cupcakes can be elegant and whimsical. Just like the difference between an all white wedding which is traditional and whimsical topsy turvy wedding with bright colors. I believe to each his own. Because this is my business. I'm all about making the client happy. I'm not here to say what I wont do because I think it's tacky. Now if it's something I truly dont like, I wont put a picture of it in my porfolio.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlonde

Every wedding that I go to I always first take a look at the wedding cake and of course critique it icon_smile.gif I've been to 3 in the last 2 months. One of them was absolutely beautiful! It was at the Navy Shipyard in Boston, right on the water overlooking the city. Just beautiful and extremely elegant! When we went into the reception I noticed that they didn't have a cake at all, just cupcakes. I thought this was extremely tacky considering how elegant and EXPENSIVE this wedding was (seriously, about 200 people and they had open bar all night!) Seriously! Cupcakes? I thought for sure she would have had a beautiful cake to go with her beautiful wedding. What does everyone else think?

Personally I don't care for making them.....but it is an easy way for a guest to take their "piece of cake" home if they don't want to enjoy it at the reception.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 86

Nope, not tacky when well done.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

No....

I have seen some absolutley stunning cupcake set ups for weddings - just the same as i have seen some bloody horrid 4 tier wedding cakes.

Depends on who made the cakes - and how they are set up i guess.

Especially if they are boxed then tired with a ribbon and little card.

I agree with bluehue! Cupcakes can be the most beautiful things ever!!!!!
I've seen many that can outdo a tiered cake!!!
(But I'm in no hurry to do them for a wedding myself!)

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 86

I think cupcakes at a wedding can be very elegant it's all in how they are designed and presented. I have seen some of the most beautiful cupcake towers at weddings and they was so beautiful.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 86

If they are for a very casual event I think they are fine. I don't think they are for formal attire events. To have people "open" their own cake is nasty LOL. To mess with those stupid lil wrappers is ridiculous.

Mike

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 86

I think it's a broad sweep of opinion to say all cupcake wedding cakes are tacky. All aspects of a wedding including the cake can be tacky it's got nothing to do with whether it's a cupcake or more traditional model... It's certainly not a 'cheap' option either????

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:49pm
post #15 of 86

Cupcakes for a wedding are not tacky.

But if you have a Cupcake Cake for your wedding, now THAT is beyond tacky! icon_lol.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm
post #16 of 86

IMHO there are many tacky things done at weddings, but cupcakes aren't one of them.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:11pm
post #17 of 86

I wouldn't call them tacky. If it is a casual event or if the guests are taking them home I think they are fine, but for people to try to take the cupcakes papers off at the wedding is not very practical, IMO.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:19pm
post #18 of 86

Read my blog and the imbedded link on the topic of "tacky".

I think it's less "tacky" and more "personal preference". I am not a fan of cupcakes at weddings, but I've seen pics of set ups that were just elegant.

No matter how elegant they look, though, I'm not a fan. Maybe it's my age, but a wedding needs a wedding cake. I view cupcakes as a casual food. I dont' want to get all dressed up and peel a paper away from a cake and shove a big 'ole cake into my face. To me, a formal affair needs a formal dessert.

I think they are appropriate for a backyard reception, for a casual reception such as a pig roast in gramma's back-40 (and I've been to those! They are fun!), etc.

This is another topic where the word "tacky" is thrown out and it's really preference. I site the fountains/stairs topic. Sorry, gang, but I "grew up" with those cakes. I "grew up" in the era where a wedding cake was the GRAND centerpiece of the reception. So, no .... to me, these founatin cakes are NOT tacky. icon_razz.gif

So just beause it's not your preference, doesn't make it tacky.

Read the blog.

Edited to add the blog link ( icon_redface.gif ) http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2009/10/is-it-tacky.html

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:22pm
post #19 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

Cupcakes for a wedding are not tacky.

But if you have a Cupcake Cake for your wedding, now THAT is beyond tacky! icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:32pm
post #20 of 86

I believe there is a time and place for everything. If it is a casual event, then go for the cupcakes. However, I am one for tradition. I think a wedding, no matter how informal, needs a wedding cake.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:40pm
post #21 of 86

Tacky is a broad term, IMHO. To me, it falls under the same category as "One man's junk is another man's treasure." I, personally, love the look. I find it most often to be done with elegance and style, and have rarely seen them badly done. That "tacky" set up the OP refers to could quite possibly have cost as much if not more than an elaborately tiered wedding cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:49pm
post #22 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Tacky is a broad term, IMHO. To me, it falls under the same category as "One man's junk is another man's treasure."

THERE ya go! That describes it perfectly! thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:49pm
post #23 of 86

I'd much rather see a lovely tower of cupcakes than have the bride and groom smash each other in the face with cake.
Now that is not only tacky, but disgusting and completely disrespectful.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #24 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I'd much rather see a lovely tower of cupcakes than have the bride and groom smash each other in the face with cake.
Now that is not only tacky, but disgusting and completely disrespectful.

Totally agree....I hate when couples do that.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #25 of 86

Since cupcake weddings have paid my bills on a couple of occasions....no.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm
post #26 of 86

i don't think they're tacky, but i don't particularly care to do them-way more time consuming than 1 cake (to make them look cute for a wedding anyway) so, to whoever said they have to do over 400!!!! omg, good luck.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #27 of 86

Check out the definition of 'tacky':
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tacky

Definitely 'one man's trash another man's treasure' icon_smile.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:05pm
post #28 of 86

I have seen some gorgeous cupccakes on this site as well as others. Covered in buttercream or fondant and decorated. I think it could be a very nice option (although I personally prefer the notion of a wedding cake versus cupcakes). But as someone else stated, I think the presentation is key. thumbs_up.gif

... Just a little side note... There was another forum topic here about someone having to decorate Costco sheetcakes for a wedding, and indydebi had the most WONDERFUL ideas for presentation. So I think it can be tastefully and elegantly done, if planned and executed properly. icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:28pm
post #29 of 86

I think this is such an interesting phenomenon. More and more often I hear the expectation that all brides SHOULD:
1. have a big, beautiful, stunning, formal, expensive cake
2. serve a meal
3. serve free liquor
4. have entertainment

And if they don't, their wedding is considered cheap or tacky. Then in the same breath we criticize brides who think they have to purchase all of these things even when they can't afford them.

I read a comment on another thread that the poster was glad she'd gotten married when it wasn't considered "rude" to just have cake, punch, nuts, and mints. Wow, should a bride really feel embarrassed because she can't (or doesn't want to) put on a big, lavish wedding? How dare she not serve a hot meal?

The OP went to a big, expensive wedding and was probably treated to a lovely dinner and a night of free drinks and entertainment, but was disappointed because the bride and groom didn't live up to her expectations for the cake. Well, maybe they just weren't that interested in the cake and saved that money for the things they wanted more. That seems financially responsible to me.

Another poster says, "I am one for tradition. I think a wedding, no matter how informal, needs a wedding cake." If you feel that way, please be sure to do that for your own wedding, but you just don't get to decide that for any other bride.

Part of the problem brides have with spending too much is this impossible standard guests seem to have about what they are going to get treated to when they attend a wedding. We can't have it both ways, folks. I like a good party as much as the next wedding guest, but not everyone can afford that.

If brides want cupcakes (which I'm not crazy about making, but they help pay my house payment), that's HER call. She doesn't deserve to be called tacky for it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I am a convert on this subject. I've previously expressed the opinion that cupcakes are cheap and low class at a wedding, but I've decided that it's just not for me to say for any party but my own.

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:35pm
post #30 of 86

Nice Ruth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%