Anyone Else Think Cupcake At A Wedding Are Tacky?

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 12:38am by jammjenks

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #61 of 86

Ruth, the matchbooks are "out" but the napkins are still very much in for the newest trend which is cocktail parties rather than full receptions. Then the napkins are tied into the "motif" that the couple picks.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:01pm
post #62 of 86

Are you serious? Is this really an issue? C'mon man - let the Bride and Groom save some money!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:17am
post #63 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Oh, I'd forgotten about the match books with the names and wedding date. That was in the bad old days when people still smoked indoors. Gag... If you were really swanky, you also had cocktail napkins with the names and date.

Oh "in my day" swanky had nothing to do with it, you HAD to have printed napkins! icon_lol.gif I've seen couples give the matchbooks with a votive candle as a gift.

But a friend and I were talking about this just yesterday. We were on the topic of wedding favors, what a waste of money they are and how most of them end up in the trash. I asked her if she thought it was a relatively "new" thing. Yep, she agreed. That's when we remembered that in our younger days you were given a book of matches and that was it. I'd forgotten all about them!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:39am
post #64 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

I wish ppl would stop with this idea that the wedding has to be at a church,

I don't see how the wedding being held at the church you attend has anything to do with driving up the cost of a wedding. If you want a religious ceremony, the church is the most logical place to have it.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:59am
post #65 of 86

Ruth and indydebi - I haven't seen or heard swanky used in ages! When we got married I'd never heard of anyone having a DINNER for their reception. Good golly, FEED everyone and then give em cake, punch, nuts and mints? After our rehearsal we took everyone to Knotts Berry Farm for pie and coffee. Everyone thought that was pretty special. And the grooms parents who had driven all the way out from Kansas paid the tab. Nothing like the good ole days!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:54am
post #66 of 86

Uh, oh. I've shown my age again! I'm also prone to using "good heavens".

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:17am
post #67 of 86

What I'm trying to understand is how people think that a cupcake tower is a cheaper option than a wedding cake?

Not here it isn't !! so obviously brides are choosing them because they really like them and are prepared to pay more! no tbecause they are hoping to save money

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:35am
post #68 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

What I'm trying to understand is how people think that a cupcake tower is a cheaper option than a wedding cake?

Not here it isn't !! so obviously brides are choosing them because they really like them and are prepared to pay more! no tbecause they are hoping to save money

Indeed thumbs_up.gif - a hell of a lot more than your $5.00 per slice of a large cake.
Nine out of Ten wqeddings i do with Cupcakes are taken home - not eaten at the reception.
But then they are beautifully boxed with a ribbon and printed card.
And they are meant to be taken home.

I have never seen anyone open theirs and eat it whilst at the reception. icon_surprised.gif

It seems what works over here doesn't work in the USA - *shrugs*

Bluehue.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:04am
post #69 of 86

Done properly, they can be stunning. Look what these Artisans have done.

http://www.makiscakes.com/wedding-cakes/temari

http://sugarbloomcupcakes.blogspot.com/2008/12/tall-cupcakes-new-delicious-collection.html

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/gallery/wedding-cupcake-stands

There is another link someone here posted. I can't find it now, but they were from Norway I think and even more beautiful.

Then go to Cake Wrecks and see some cakes....just sayin'. It can go either way.

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:37am
post #70 of 86

Personally I think a cupcake tower can be done beautifully, but I agree with other posters that it depends on the event. Too each his own!

[quote="indydebi"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

But a friend and I were talking about this just yesterday. We were on the topic of wedding favors, what a waste of money they are and how most of them end up in the trash. I asked her if she thought it was a relatively "new" thing. Yep, she agreed. That's when we remembered that in our younger days you were given a book of matches and that was it. I'd forgotten all about them!

Indydebi, that's exactly why we didn't have favors at our wedding. We had a very small budget and there were other things that were more important. The only person who cared was my MIL, but she sure didn't offer to pay for the favors!! LOL

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:43am
post #71 of 86

"swanky" is an awesome word, but you have to say it while holding a martini.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:45pm
post #72 of 86

My SIL has a chair cover business and I set up a wedding for her the other day where they had cupcakes to make the wedding cake. Chocolate cupcakes with flawless ganache and a red rose, individually boxed in clear square boxes with ribbon and card. There was a small cake on the top tier. I stood there staring at it because it just looked so beautiful and was such a great idea. I also tried to work out how much work would have gone into it (I decided a ridiculous amount). There is no way that it was a cheap option. I thought it would be a great idea to double as a favor too.

All the weddings that I have been to over here NEVER serve the cake for dessert. The cake is usually served with coffee or given to take home. The dinner package usually includes dessert which is why the cake isn't served. I know that most, if not all, of the places will serve the wedding cake for dessert instead if you want but the plating fee means you are usually paying close to the same amount as if you ordered one of their desserts. A lot of people to have both so you can be certain everyone gets well fed. So, a cupcake would work perfectly for this. I also don't understand why if you had a cupcake at a wedding you wouldn't eat it off your plate with a fork? You eat it the same way you would eat a piece of cake.

I agree that most of this is personal preference. I know a lot of people who LOVE the look of a cupcake with a swirl of icing and think it is classy. I know other people who couldn't care less for cake. A wedding is a reflection of the personal style and taste of the bride and groom. Sometimes it will be similar to your tastes, othertimes completely the opposite.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:57pm
post #73 of 86

You know, now that I'm thinking about it. I think it would have been wonderful if they had the cupcakes individually boxed up and used those as the favors. What a great idea! I really like that. However, I'm still sticking to my guns. The way they did it didn't match the wedding. If they had them boxed up that would have been perfect! However, just sticking them in the corner with the coffee, not serving them, and also removing all the silverware from the table so you didn't even had the option to use a fork....hmmmm not so much

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm
post #74 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

After our rehearsal we took everyone to Knotts Berry Farm for pie and coffee. Everyone thought that was pretty special. Nothing like the good ole days!

I LOVE Knott's Berry Farm. I could go for some boysenberry syrup on my pancakes now!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm
post #75 of 86

There was no way I was going to have any one tell me my wedding cake, venue or what ever didnt meet there standards. I had 6 ppl at my wedding, and 4 of those ppl happen to find out about it not because I told them. That's just me though. I felt it was a private matter and there was no way I wanted any one at my wedding who was going to judge me for how I wanted my wedding to be.

The TACKY match books, and napkins...YES those are TACKY!!! I havent see those in about 10 yrs.

costumeczar Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm
post #76 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

The TACKY match books, and napkins...YES those are TACKY!!! I havent see those in about 10 yrs.

I see the napkins all the time, but the matchbooks, not so much. People are starting to use them again, though, because they met on match.com ans thought that it was super-clever to give them out as favors (I've had a couple of clients recently tell me they were going to do this. I just keep my comments to myself!)

Bluehue Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm
post #77 of 86

because they met on match.com ans thought that it was super-clever to give them out as favors

Ohhhh thats just toooooooooo funny -
seriously, thats what people do ??? icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

Give me a beautiful boxed cupcake in a beautiful little box - wrapped like a present anyday - as a favour.

Still wiping tears of laughter from my eyes ........ match.comBwawawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Bluehue. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:12pm
post #78 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

because they met on match.com ans thought that it was super-clever to give them out as favors

Ohhhh thats just toooooooooo funny -
seriously, thats what people do ??? icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

Give me a beautiful boxed cupcake in a beautiful little box - wrapped like a present anyday - as a favour.

Still wiping tears of laughter from my eyes ........ match.comBwawawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Bluehue. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

This will make you laugh harder, then...When one couple told me that, I had just made some kind of a remark about wedding favors that nobody liked, and of course, had used matches as an example icon_redface.gif

Bluehue Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:33pm
post #79 of 86

*thud*................. just fell off chair laughing at that icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Don't you love iut when you put your size 5 foot in your size 7 mouth - icon_wink.gif

ROFL.

Bkuehue icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:15pm
post #80 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

This will make you laugh harder, then...When one couple told me that, I had just made some kind of a remark about wedding favors that nobody liked, and of course, had used matches as an example icon_redface.gif

I told a bride once, "No one will notice but you and your mother in law", forgetting that the MIL was sitting right there! icon_surprised.gif When I realized it, I said to her, "We MIL's get the blame for everything, don't we?"

I qualified for the Smooth Move Award that day! icon_redface.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:44pm
post #81 of 86

I am so glad to see this thread. Someone I work with is giving my name to her daughter's BFF and she is thinking about cupcakes instead of cakes. Now I know what questions to ask her about how formal, having to take the paper off, the messiness, etc.

costumeczar Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:12pm
post #82 of 86

Hey Indy, I see you over on twitter tweeting about matchbooks now...Isn't that considered cross-contamination or something? icon_twisted.gif

indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:24pm
post #83 of 86

And my 17 yr old helped me get a facebook page up and going, too! No wonder the letters have worn off of my keyboard AGAIN! (seriously .... this is my 2nd keyboard; I've had it less than a year and 6 keys have the letters worn off, with others in jeopardy!)

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:03am
post #84 of 86

For those saying that anyone can do cc's to save money:
1. when done elegantly, they cost more than cake
2. the way the op described the wedding, it didn't sound like they were looking to save $ (fireworks???)

and the least they could do is serve it, and leave the silverware so you can eat it in a polite way. i mean, if i made such a fancy affair, i wouldn't want ppl eating w/ their hands..

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:22am
post #85 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun

For those saying that anyone can do cc's to save money:
1. when done elegantly, they cost more than cake

Yep! http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/cupcakes

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 12:38am
post #86 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

To me, the tackiest thing at a wedding is the half-naked bride.

icon_lol.gif That made me slap my knee! Too funny! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%