Which Is It?

Lounge By kakeladi Updated 1 May 2017 , 10:42pm by kakeladi

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 13

Road or street

When I walk my dog she sometimes will step out into the road/street. I find myself saying something like: 'No you can't go in the road'; the next time it's 'get out of the street'. Back and forth I go. Which do you call it?

Supper or dinner

For me it depends on what is being servedicon_smile.gif This is the meal served at night. Noon meal is lunch.
Dinner is more formal. Supper is soup & sandwich or other simple fare. Dinner is sitting down at the table; supper might be on plates in your lap in front of the t.v. icon_smile.gif

12 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:15am
post #2 of 13

In my mind, road is a major trafficway or rural route. Street is a lesser trafficway, found only in residential areas or within the city.

Don't know why I define it as such, just seems to be how it is in my area!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:17am
post #3 of 13

LOL I use both words....they're interchangeable for me too! icon_lol.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:58am
post #4 of 13

I always think of a road as the highway, or where there might be businesses but no homes. Streets are where people live. Unless the street is named (Something) Road.
One of the main thoroughfares through our city is called Rodney Parham Road. Another is called Reservoir Road. Both used to be out in the country, years ago.

Rodney Parham Road has a small section of residential area, but the majority of it is businesses.

Reservoir Road was named for the fact it lies adjacent to our municipal water reservoir. Makes sense. But it is the address for multiple apartment/condo complexes and a school and a few businesses now.
Call it whatever you want. People will know what you mean icon_smile.gif

Supper is a regular meal served in the evening. Dinner can be at either noon or evening if it is a special occasion, or a large meal, like Sunday dinner or Thanksgiving dinner, or going out to dinner.

People "dress" for dinner, but they never dress up for supper.

It's also regional I think. Here in the American south, the evening meal in my house is always supper, unless it's a special occasion.

I guess in the end, it's all up to your personal preference. The terms are mostly interchangeable.

Just don't forget to call ME when it's ready icon_wink.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:58am
post #5 of 13

for mek, road is the tarmac for the cars, street is with the pavements (sidewalks!).

lunch dinner tea supper argh!
for me lunch is the 12/1 meal.
dinner and tea are interchangeable - 5/6 o'clock meal.
supper is a snack before bed.

but i work in a nursing home, with set meal times, and some of the residents are so set in their ways - and call lunch dinner, and dinner supper, and get confused as anything if you say it your way!
xx

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 13

You forgot about "icing" and "frosting!" icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 13

For me, it's a road when we're driving on it, a street when we're crossing it...the same road/street, just depends on if we're walking or not. And we eat dinner every night rather than supper and it's not a fancy occasion...dinner takes place on the couch in front of the TV most nights.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 13

so do you guys drive on the interstate or the freeway??? Just curious! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 13

.........drive on the interstate or the freeway??? ........

An interstate highway can go thru a town so it would not be a freeway icon_smile.gif
Yes, freeways do go thru towns but there is limited access and regress, where an interstate can have stop lights and/or stop signs - not so a freeway.

.......You forgot about "icing" and "frosting!" Wink..........

UUUuuuuugggggggg! icon_smile.gif Don't want to start a super awful thread.

To me it is always 'icing'. Frosting seems sooooo old-fashioned icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VannaD

so do you guys drive on the interstate or the freeway??? Just curious! icon_biggrin.gif

neither........I drive on the highway icon_razz.gif

I say icing, the rest of my family says frosting......cake muggles! icon_razz.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 13

i think it also depends on where you're from. i'm from the east coast and i've always said dinner, but when i lived in the south, they said supper.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 13

Growing up, we had breakfast, lunch, and supper. Breakfast was usually cold cereal, lunch was sandwiches, and supper was a hot meal with meat, potatoes, and veggies.

But all the country people that lived around us had breakfast, dinner, and supper, and often cooked a big, hot meal for each one, or at least 2 out of the 3. I would always get so confused by my friends calling "lunch" "dinner", LOL!

But once I was on my own, it was breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Everybody is on their own for breakfast (cereal or frozen waffles/fr. toast) and lunch (sandwiches or leftovers) and I cook a full meal for dinner.

"Roads" connect one town to another, "streets" are within the town & residential areas. Roads usually don't have sidewalks and have a higher speed limit. "Interstates" are the big limited access highways with high speed limits for driving long distances. We don't have "freeways" around here, but we do have "parkways" which are just like interstates, but are state-owned rather than federal.

And I put icing on my cakes, never frosting, LOL!

Does anyone else have trouble distiguishing between biscuits, rolls, & bread?? My husband thinks they are all the same.

kakeladi Posted 1 May 2017 , 10:42pm
post #13 of 13

..............anyone else have trouble distiguishing between biscuits, rolls, & bread?? My husband thinks they are all the same..............

Aahhh another delima:)   To me biscuits are usually small, light and buttery.  Rolls are big, dry and usually used for sandwiches and bread........well that is totally in a class of it's own:)  It can be used for french toast, reg toast or sandwiches.   I had a neighbor who at a picnic generously butter a piece of bread and used that to butter her corn on the cob!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%