Ultimate Cakeoff

Lounge By madgeowens Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 3:33am by carolsue7

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #31 of 72

Yeah I really wanted to hear his pearls of wisdom.
Is there another website for his work? the one I found is a bit dated and hard to navigate. It only shows his people sculptured cakes.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #32 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymustard2

Mary,

I liked how you textured a couple of the fondant tiers with royal. Great idea! Do you have to wait until the fondant dries out a little, or can you texture it right away?

Jessica

You can do it right away!

sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:15pm
post #33 of 72

Yes the texture was very chic. I noticed that when looking at the cake close ups on line. You didn't really see it on camera as well. Fabulous texture! Very cool.

moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #34 of 72
Quote:
Quote:

[quote="TheCakeDude"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I wonder what Roland was trying to tell Ashley...?

Quote:
Quote:

As his assistant on the show I should know this, but I dont...I do know, however, that if someone as experienced and talented as Roland Winbeckler is trying to give you advice, you should take it and not cut him off rudely. Where is the southern hospitality?! And Mary, you are AWESOME! These people didnt see the real you that we did during the competition. I would work alongside you any day! icon_smile.gif[/quote

I would love to cake with you sir any day! See you in four days!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:25pm
post #35 of 72
Quote:

Yeah I really wanted to hear his pearls of wisdom.
Is there another website for his work? the one I found is a bit dated and hard to navigate. It only shows his people sculptured cakes.

No matter which URL you use, it brings you to the same site. I don't think he has a gallery, per se, of his work.

Duff used the same structure for his German Shepherd cake that they created several years ago.

And they carry masonite boards in almost every shape and size you could want.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:29pm
post #36 of 72

I only got to see a few minutes of the show but I have it taped and will watch it as soon as I can but I was excited to see Mary and Roland. Mary, I haven't really met you in person but I've been at OSSAS as an entrant the last 2 years and your work is amazing and the amount you do to help out- AWESOME! I did get to meet Roland earlier this year in Austin and you couldn't ask for a nicer man.

I hate editing cake shows for drama. I watch the shows to see cakes and learn - not to have fabricated drama thrown at me. If I wanted fake drama, I would watch soap operas.

The first couple of times they had James Rosselle on FN Challenge, he was portrayed as rather snotty. I met him at OSSAS last year and took a class with him after OSSAS this year and FN's portrayal of him is so off. He is extremely talented and a really nice kid. Yep, I'm 'almost' old enough to be his mom so I call him kid.

My brother and I seriously considered applying to The Amazing Race but my brother was so concerned that they would portray him as a grump old man ( at 40) that he chickened out. I thought it would be great fun and a chance for us to really bond.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm
post #37 of 72

Yes, I mean when they edit it to hear Mary shout "fridge"....and edit out the please part....thats really stupid. Makes me wonder what they edit out of Cake Boss

moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:43pm
post #38 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Yes, I mean when they edit it to hear Mary shout "fridge"....and edit out the please part....thats really stupid. Makes me wonder what they edit out of

I work in a kitchen. Just because we do not say please, does not make me a bad person. I was holding a cake that was 14" wide and 8" tall and was not light. If the one word that comes out of my mouth is Fridge.....Gosh by golly I am a bitch. Let us go another round.

moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:46pm
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I only got to see a few minutes of the show but I have it taped and will watch it as soon as I can but I was excited to see Mary and Roland. Mary, I haven't really met you in person but I've been at OSSAS as an entrant the last 2 years and your work is amazing and the amount you do to help out- AWESOME! I did get to meet Roland earlier this year in Austin and you couldn't ask for a nicer man.

I hate editing cake shows for drama. I watch the shows to see cakes and learn - not to have fabricated drama thrown at me. If I wanted fake drama, I would watch soap operas.

The first couple of times they had James Rosselle on FN Challenge, he was portrayed as rather snotty. I met him at OSSAS last year and took a class with him after OSSAS this year and FN's portrayal of him is so off. He is extremely talented and a really nice kid. Yep, I'm 'almost' old enough to be his mom so I call him kid.

My brother and I seriously considered applying to The Amazing Race but my brother was so concerned that they would portray him as a grump old man ( at 40) that he chickened out. I thought it would be great fun and a chance for us to really bond.

James is a doll! Loves him!

sadsmile Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #40 of 72

Since when is being efficient being a B*...? LOL I give one word instructions to my kids all the time. They know what I mean and there is no point to wasting words when it can get done faster then explaining how to do it.

moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:58pm
post #41 of 72

This is true Sadmile!

playingwithsugar Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:15pm
post #42 of 72
Quote:

Since when is being efficient being a B*...? LOL I give one word instructions to my kids all the time. They know what I mean and there is no point to wasting words when it can get done faster then explaining how to do it.

Hey, I've seen far worse in chef's kitchens. When some people hit the big time, their egos take over, they become Linda Blair in the Exorcist at any little thing. Don't talk while they're doing a demo, don't let anyone think you're knowledgeable while in their class, and by all means, don't ask them questions that don't pertain to the subject at hand, because they'll go out of their way to humiliate you.

Mary has been one of the building blocks of CC for a very long time, and one of the most helpful members here. I've never heard of her refusing to help someone or share a technique with them. We old-timers know her well and love her for all she's done for us.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:26pm
post #43 of 72

I would just like to say thank you to all those "old-timers" (as Theresa puts it) that take the time to share their endless wealth of knowledge and experience with us "newbies". I am so grateful to be able to learn from the best as I try my hand at this wonderful art.

moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:12pm
post #44 of 72
Quote:

Yes, I mean when they edit it to hear Mary shout "fridge"....and edit out the please part....thats really stupid. Makes me wonder what they edit out of

PS I actually do say "Please" in that segment.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:22pm
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Quote:

confused, I thought madgeowens was taking up for you IMHO

moydear77 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Quote:

Quote:

confused, I thought madgeowens was taking up for you IMHO

When you read what was written it says they edited the word
please out. If you watch the footage I do say please.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #47 of 72
Quote:

Cake Boss, from what I can tell, is the most highly exaggerated and playacted "reality show" I've seen yet regarding cakes...it gives me a headache to watch it! icon_lol.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:48pm
post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by patiese1

Why oh Why icon_cry.gif can't I remember that Ultimate Cake of is on Monday Night!!!! URRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Well me and my feeble mind will hope for a re run or mayb I will just stay up tonight and watch it at 1 or 2 in the morning.

Was last night the last episode? I noticed that Cake Boss returns next week in the 10PM time slot.

rugonna_eat_that Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rugonna_eat_that Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:44pm
post #49 of 72

I think, if anything, Mary came across as a professional. I don't recall seeing her "talk smack," or saying she was going to crush the other contestants, etc.

During the judges' critique she listened and nodded her head, and if I remember correctly, said, "Thank you," after receiving criticism. Often, contestants on these competition shows offer rebuttals or excuses for how or why they did what they did. However, when you design a cake or create a recipe in a professional setting you rarely have the opportunity to explain your creation to the audience. What they experience is what they experience.

I was quite impressed by this show of humility and professionalism on Mary's part. Frequently I notice that those people I know who are most accomplished at their professions are the ones who most easily accept criticism.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #50 of 72

moydear77!!!!!!!!!

what the heck???? All this time I've been calling you Maryann...have you just been bein' nice and lettin' me slide or is it Maryann and you've shortened it to Mary or what....?

I don't know that I would've buckled in front of Mr. Winbeckler or would've tried my darndest to outdo him (out of the utmost respect of course! I truly look up to him....30+ years of being in awe of his work...I've got nothing but respect for him and his work!).

Every one of the competitors gets a major high five from me...just going through it has got to be gruelling! (how do ya do a high 5?) ^5^ ?

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:24am
post #51 of 72

[quote="all4cake"]moydear77!!!!!!!!!

what the heck???? All this time I've been calling you Maryann...have you just been bein' nice and lettin' me slide or is it Maryann and you've shortened it to Mary or what....?quote]

That's why I had to look twice when I had first seen her.LOL!
I always knew her as MaryAnn, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:33am
post #52 of 72

I go by both! More on the culinary side I am called Mary. Mary is my first and Ann is my middle name! Roland is a gem! I will see Roland and Marsha this week. They are so awesome and the entire team was amazing! I told him that if I had won, i would have signed the check over to himicon_smile.gif

Thank you for the kind words everyone! It means a great deal and I am so proud of season one! If you get a chance, go to the TLC blog and tell them how wonderful the show is!

all4cake Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #53 of 72

I'll tell 'em how wonderful it is AFTER I get to be on!

I am J/K ya'll....I think...

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:48am
post #54 of 72

I am VERY proud to know Mary!! I think she did an AWESOME job!! To have someone like Roland have you sit out because you ARE a threat is a major compliment! I've met Roland & taken a class with him & he's a sweetheart. I'm looking forward to seeing you in more challenges! icon_smile.gif YOU GO MARY!!!!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #55 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I am VERY proud to know Mary!! I think she did an AWESOME job!! To have someone like Roland have you sit out because you ARE a threat is a major compliment! I've met Roland & taken a class with him & he's a sweetheart. I'm looking forward to seeing you in more challenges! icon_smile.gif YOU GO MARY!!!!

Again, does anyone know if last night was the last episode....Cake Boss returns next Monday at 10 PM and I can't find Ultimate Cake Off listed in the TLC schedule.

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:03am
post #56 of 72
Quote:

I go by both! More on the culinary side I am called Mary.

Um-hum - That's Chef Mary. Get it right. LOL!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:03am
post #57 of 72

Yes, Last night was the season finale! Be sure to tune in for season two!

all4cake Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:04am
post #58 of 72

Jeff, I have no clue...

moydear77 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:04am
post #59 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Quote:

I go by both! More on the culinary side I am called Mary.

Um-hum - That's Chef Mary. Get it right. LOL!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I laughed out loud!

It would be Chef Moy! They are not allowed to call me by my first name at school!

moydear77 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:06am
post #60 of 72

[quote="tcturtleshell"]I am VERY proud to know Mary!! I think she did an AWESOME job!! To have someone like Roland have you sit out because you ARE a threat is a major compliment! I've met Roland & taken a class with him & he's a sweetheart. I'm looking forward to seeing you in more challenges! icon_smile.gif YOU GO MARY!!!![/quote

LOVES YOU!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%