Any Suggestions On How To Make A Successful Fondant Recipe?

Decorating By kire Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 4:40pm by Marianna46

kire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kire Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 12

I have tried on several occasions to make my own homemade fondant but it usually either starts to rip when I pick it up to lay on the cake or for example what happened to me last night>>> The fondant after kneading it for like about a good 30 mins and struggling to just make it right, it started sticking to everything>>> to the rolling mat to my hands to the rolling pin, and then finally when I was able to pick it up it would stretch out like a piece of bubblegum and fall apart>>> I was so frustrated that I threw it away after struggling for almost three hours>>> I got the recipe from YouTube which they explain to you step by step, however this is my second attempt and yet another disaster, am I just no good for this.... HELP HELP HELP!!! Any suggestions on how to make a successful fondant recipe, I don't want to keep buying already made fondant; it's not the same...

11 replies
CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 12

Are you letting it sit overnight after making it? I've used Michelle Fosters and Rhonda's Ultimate, both from this site. Both recipes require that you let them rest overnight before you start working it to put on a cake.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 12

The two most successful are exactly what Shill mentioned; however I use the addendum to Rhonda's...

This is the original posting of Michele lFoster's:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html (Just a little more labor intensive, but amazing.)

This is the addendum to Rhonda's MMF (marshmallow based.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5213-Addendum-to-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 12

I feel your pain. icon_mad.gif

I covered a cake a few days ago with my MMF and it was sticking to everything!! I kneeded in lots of PS until it wasn't so sticky. Put down LOTS of PS on my counter and rolled it out. Every time I tried to pick it up it would stick!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif It took me 3 hours to cover two cakes!! So irritating thumbsdown.gif I wonder if it would be worth it to just order some satin ice. Your problem was that you didn't have enough PS in it to keep it from sticking. (and neither did I!!) It wouldn't have taken me so long if I had just added a bunch of sugar at once instead of a few sprinkles at a time. And, as the other posters said, you need to let it sit overnight or longer. Nothing in this "business" is easy; it all comes with lots of practice. Stick with it, and good luck icon_rolleyes.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 12

OBTW, kire, welcome to CC!!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 12

I tried for first time my MMF the one that shows on youtube. I have my kitchenaid mixer so I did with it I put a lot of PS and after that when I kneaded I used more PS until the fondant was not as sticky. Like she said on the video I let it stand for couple of hours, so I let it stand for 3 hours and put on the cake, before putting on the cake I kneaded a little bit again and rolled However, at the begging I thought that it did not work but I put a little bit more of sugar and it was fine...It came out really nice.....It is not easy at all...I got frustrated too...but it is really good, everyone liked it, and actually eat it, not as the one from Wilton that they just did not like it. Do not give up just try to put more sugar, and let it stand a couple of hours 2 is enough.

I hope this helps!!!

kire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kire Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 12

That must have been my problem, that I didn't let it sit over night. I figured that you could work with it right away, I'm so silly. I want to thank all of you for all of your advice and suggestions. I will definately take all that everyone has mentioned here into account the next time I make the mmf recipe>>>> MANY THANKS!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 12

I would also suggest getting a fondant mat(Ateco) or a piece of vinyl to roll your fondant on. After it's the size you need just pick it up, flip it over on top of the cake and then slowly peel the vinyl away. I've always had a lot of success with this technique. HTH.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I would also suggest getting a fondant mat(Ateco) or a piece of vinyl to roll your fondant on. After it's the size you need just pick it up, flip it over on top of the cake and then slowly peel the vinyl away. I've always had a lot of success with this technique. HTH.

I love this idea to use the vinyl under the fondant and flip and peel. I have to try this. Dumb question though......what kind of vinyl do you use and where do you get it?

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 12

I bought a piece of vinyl (you can pick it up anywhere they sell fabric), but my MMF was sticking to it worse than the counter!! icon_mad.gif I crumpled it up and threw it under the sink! Wondering if investing in a nicer vinyl mat would be better or if it was just my sticky MMF??

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 12

I also bought mine at the fabric store. There are different kinds - I went with a middle thickness. I would also suggest that you try making Michele Fosters fondant. It's a bit more work but it is consistently better than MMF and many prefer the way it tastes too. Oh, I also use Crisco on the mat and then powdered sugar when it starts to stick to the vinyl.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 12

When you get to the kneading part, try adding about a half teaspoon of CMC for every pound of fondant and THEN letting it sit for several hours or overnight (not in the fridge!). I know you don't want to hear this, but I think your experience is typical of almost everyone's first few experiences with fondant. I went through four recipes for fondant and about five messed up cakes (all for family, who were very forgiving, fortunately) before I finally found my "groove"!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%