My First Gumpaste Figure.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 2:14am by MrsNancyB1

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:45am
post #1 of 25

I just completed my very first gumpaste girl. I wanted this girl to resemble my daughter, as it will be the topper on her first birthday cake. I know she's not perfect, but I wanted to post a picture of her so that I can hear others' opinions about her. I'm all about improving, so constructive criticism is welcome.

TIA!
LL
LL

24 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:50am
post #2 of 25

She's very cute!

Maybe you could make a couple of tiny buttons (use a small round tip to cut them out) or tiny flowers to cover the end of the straps.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

She's very cute!

Maybe you could make a couple of tiny buttons (use a small round tip to cut them out) or tiny flowers to cover the end of the straps.

Great idea!

Now that I look at her again, I think I'd like to take your suggestion, and I think I should add a small bow (like the one on her head) to the center of the sash around her waist.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:57am
post #4 of 25

LOOL! And now when I look at her again, I realize that I forgot the ears!!!

icon_lol.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 5:04am
post #5 of 25

LOL MrsNancyB, that sounds like something I would do. but that is a cute little girl. I haven't tried yet, I am trying to get a handle on a Calla Lillie. I will win sooner or later.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 25

she's so cute, i wouldn't put the ears on, they are under her hair, i like making figurines, what did you use? i think i would bring in one more color. she really looks like a real stuffed doll. calla lillie's are pretty easy cut out a heart shape, and for the middle i roll it in fine kosher salt. now if i could only master arrrrr the buttercream rose, i know i've made over a hundred, and i can't get the petals to seperate, i tried in gumpaste really stiff, but i think my hands make it to warm it looks kinda good then i take it off the nail and it just goes flat and ideas thanks, go to u-tube under edna's videos, she shows a good calla lillie

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 25

She is very cute! Excellent job for being your first one. I also agree maybe one more colour or some flowers on the dress. But even like that she is cute! Well done.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 25

I think this is a terrific effort for a first go. Definatitely don't add ears, it's for a 1st Birthday, you want to keep her looking young.

I agree that you should add some little flowers. The only thing I will say is that perhaps next time try and do her dress in one piece so she looks like a little girl. To be honest I thought it was a lady with big boobs until I read your blog - sorry icon_sad.gif

It all takes practice and you will be great at it in no time. Having said that though, her little face and hair is just perfect. Well done.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 25

Thanks everyone!

I will go ahead and make a couple of the suggested adjustments, and post a new pic a little later.

I appreciate all the help. icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 25

Ok, so I've updated my figure. I think everyone's suggestions definitely improved her appearance.

I also constructed a small cupcake beside the girl. What do you think? I thought I would only make one cupcake, since it's my daughter's first birthday. Any criticisms??

TIA!
LL

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 25

wow...beautiful...

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 25

The first one looked great But this one totally enhances it cupcake looks cute too

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 25

Soooooo cute thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I love it thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:16pm
post #14 of 25

perfect

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:20pm
post #15 of 25

wow, what an improvement just by adding those buttons and sashicon_smile.gif Really, really cute.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm
post #16 of 25

All I have to say is WOW - what an improvement and l Love the little cupcake - well done you - you should continue to make these, they will look brilliant on your cakes.

The buttons look fantastic !!!!!!!!

Keep up the great work
Kim

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #17 of 25

Very cute!!! the additon of the buttons and bow gives her a more finished look. If you want her to look a little less doll-like, try using something like a toothpick and making a small indent for her wrist, and maybe an elbow, little details like that can add a lot to the overall look, just like adding the white accents did. But for your first figure, you did an awesome job!!

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:54pm
post #18 of 25

Can i chip in without sounding cheeky. She is very cute by the way!! I've done a few figures and bought a tutorial from aine2 for modelling heads which was very helpful ( it's the kind of thing you look at and think why did i not think of that it's so obvious and simple when you see it) next time maybe shape the face more and give the figure a neck it makes such a difference. I love the way you have done the eyes, they have lots of character i'm hopeless at eyes and i think eyes can make or break a great look.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 9:59pm
post #19 of 25

now if your daugther looks like that, she must be the cutest thing you ever did see! icon_lol.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:08pm
post #20 of 25

That white really brought this figure to life!!!! Great job!!!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:15am
post #21 of 25

LOVE it wow you have talent to make this for the first time. Just sooooooo cute

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #22 of 25

That's really adorable! Can't wait to see pictures of the whole cake icon_biggrin.gif

Lynnzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnzee Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #23 of 25

She looks great!!!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #24 of 25

yes,yes so adorable and the cupcake idea is a stroke of perfection

MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:14am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknelliesmum

Can i chip in without sounding cheeky. She is very cute by the way!! I've done a few figures and bought a tutorial from aine2 for modelling heads which was very helpful ( it's the kind of thing you look at and think why did i not think of that it's so obvious and simple when you see it) next time maybe shape the face more and give the figure a neck it makes such a difference. I love the way you have done the eyes, they have lots of character i'm hopeless at eyes and i think eyes can make or break a great look.

First, thanks to everyone for the replies! I really appreciate all of them icon_smile.gif

marknelliesmum: You don't sound 'cheeky' at all! Actually, after I completed my figure, I looked at the figures that Mayen posted on youtube and realized that her heads were much smaller than mine, and they all had defined necks. I will have to do pay careful attention to that the next time.

Thank you for your opinion!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%