Help Please!

Decorating By percussiongrrl Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 1:44am by lthiele

percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 16

I have a cake that I'm doing for a friend's daughter, it's due the 10th. The daughter's birthday is a beach theme and they sent me the napkin I attached to base my design off of.

At first, she was wanting a round cake, 2 tiers, and I had my design ready and sketched. Bottom layer - 8in round iced in green with fondant palm leaves and flowers all the way around. Top layer - iced in blue buttercream with either sugar cookie or fondant sail boats standing upright in it. I was SO excited!

BUT

My friend emailed today and told me that the daughter changed her mind, she would like a sheet cake instead of a round cake. My design won't work any more and I'm at a loss. I have to start this cake tonight b/c my sister is getting married Saturday, so my Friday and Saturday are shot.

I'm toying with the idea of doing the sheet cake in blue and making an island out of a 6in round set off in one corner, but I have no idea what to do with it. I'm not a very skilled decorator (I have pics in the gallery if you need some idea), but I'm looking for some ideas. I'd appreciate any input or ideas. If you need to know, I really only work with BC and MMF for detail.

Thanks!
LL

15 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 16

OK, you can easily replicate this design. Just go ahead and make the sheet cake she wants. Cover it in blue then using various colors of fondant make the boats and trees to lay on the cake. You can do the offset round if you want but if she just wants a sheet then give her what she wants. You can make sugar hibiscus to go around the edge as a boarder. If you want some sand around it jsut crush nilla wafers in the food processor and sprinkle it around. I cool idea to make the palm trees is using tootsie rolls. I warm them for just a few seconds in the microwave then roll them out to shape and add the texture. There are some in my photos if you want to see them. Kids love to eat the trees. Let me know if I can be of more help.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 16

I agree - copy the napkin - it's set up perfect for a sheet design.
I would even be tempted to make a frosting sheet pic of the napkin....super easy if you have access to frosting sheet making.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 16

I think I'd do the water, sky, sand and sun flat on the cake. I'd make the boats, trees and flowers 3 - D. I'd make a couple of seagulls on wires and stick them into the cake. My Seattle skyline cake had a mix on flat and 3 - D and it worked well.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1271855.html

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 16

I don't really make sheetcakes but if I were to do it, I'd make a sheetcake and then an sculpte island on the corner. I'd add some nice flowers and sand.

percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 16

Here is what I ended up doing for the sheet cake....it is a half and half 10x15 cake - half chocolate and half yellow - iced with buttercream and then the picture is pieced together with fondant. Constructive criticism is very welcome (and even requested!)!
LL

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 16

Perfection! Way to pull it off beautifully. It looks gorgeous! icon_smile.gif

hluterbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hluterbach Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 16

OMG, that is perfect! great job. looks just like the napkin. excellent work on that one. they are going to love it.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 16

You did a great job! Your color matching is excellent, your work is exceptionally neat, you captured the invitation with the gorgeous flowers, really well-textured trees, and vivid sailbaots. Really well done! How can your friend and her daughter be anything but pleased?

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 16

You pulled it off spectacularly!! Great job!
I bet she loved it!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 16

That is AWESOME. They are gonna love it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 16

Oooohhhh wow!!!!!! What a fabulous cake you came up with!!

..........criticism is very welcome (and even requested!).........

Well now, what, oh what? can I criticize? icon_smile.gif
About the only thing that might have improved this great creation would have been to create those 'sparkle' highlights.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #13 of 16

i like what you did you worked it out well!! i really liked the flowers at the bottom because they look more layered it looks like there closer nice job!!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 16

See! You did not need us at all. great results!

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #15 of 16

criticism welcome? The only thing I would have done different is put the picture on the cake going the other way. That would have made the ocean seem bigger... but it is still a gorgeous cake!

I'd be happy to receive one exactly like you made it, so my "criticism" isn't really that critical!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #16 of 16

Great job it looks fantastic! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%