M.o.b. Refused My Cake!

Decorating By 1dessertdiva Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 3:22am by Cricketina

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #91 of 184

I'm confused. Was the cake with the butterflies the model and inspiration for the second cake, which was the one made for the wedding? What am I not grasping?

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #92 of 184

I am not sure either...how the second cake was inspired by "Martha" or by the butterfly cake, other than it was a stacked round cake. Did Martha invent those?

It's funny how one cake can get so far away from the inspiration! icon_smile.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #93 of 184

Hope this isn't a double post - my computer screen seemed to eat my previous one... anyway - I can't judge, by the camera angle, whether or not the second cake is tilting. Also, I LOVE love love the butterfly cake - the more I look at it, the better it looks. So appealing, lovely design, well executed! .. I want one....

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:56pm
post #94 of 184

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused. I love the design of the butterfly cake, but have no idea what it has to do with the second cake? Am I missing something?

naomipalomares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naomipalomares Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:30pm
post #95 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

Honestly, I can see why they were unhappy. Not THAT unhappy, but not thrilled. The cake is leaning (so is the butterfly one) and it is a little messy. The ribbon placement isn't uniform on each tier...

I don't know. The cake isn't great. But the MOB had no right to treat you the way she did, either.

If you look, the reason it appears to be leaning is because of the camera angle. The table must be leaning too. Take into account the bright light behind half of the cake, that messes with how things actually are. She said it wasn't absolutely perfect.

If it was per the bride's instructions, then only she should have been able to send it away. I do understand that in the moment, it is difficult to have done everything perfectly or said the right things or come back with a witty comment. I always think of the best things to say too late. It's experience for next.

I love the butterfly cake.

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #96 of 184

oh my!

OP: glad you could vent and get it off your chest.

As far as my opinion of what happened, or the design of the final cake...I dont' think you asked for either in your OP & I have none to give. You thanked readers for letting you vent...nothing more, nothing less. So if it hasn't been said already...your welcome and vent anytime.

sorry this MOB incident happened to you. And sorry it affected the rest of your busy day. That's certainly not a pleasant way to have any day turn out. icon_sad.gif

Thanks for sharing your story. It offers much to think about & learn from for many that are just starting out in the caking business.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:40pm
post #97 of 184

Did you get a fabric swatch or anything to confirm what her idea of warm chocolate brown was? I am always weary when it comes to colors, because people always have different ideas of what they are. Some people misuse words or use them differently too. She could have meant warm as to mean rich, dark, etc.

Personally I would have been upset over the cake. When I pay a certain amount of money I have certain amounts of expectations. Now, when I got married I was on a minuscule budget and found a homebaker to do my cake for a dollar a serving. I got what I paid for and I was ok with that. But, had I went to someone who was acting as a business and paid the going rate for a wedding cake I would have been livid.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm
post #98 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

looks like another clause for the generic boiler plate contract:

<name of bakery> will not, under any circumstances, be responsible for supplying any ribbons, crystals, or other similar hard goods decorative items for use to adorn the cake. All such items must be purchased by the bride supplied to <name of bakery> at least two weeks prior to the event.

Further, <name of bakery> having used and applied said hard good items to the cake as specified and agreed upon in this contract, will not be held liable or determined to be in failure to perform as contracted, if said hard good decorative items are later deemed by the bride or her agent to any way compromise, clash with or in any way impair the agreed and contracted design. The bride shall not be entitled to any discount or refund based upon such conditions.

Saved in with my contracts! Thanks Doug!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:55pm
post #99 of 184

Oh yes, fabric swatches, always. I never leave a color up in the air. Chocolate brown? Like what, dark chocolate? Milk chocolate? Whipped light chocoloate with a smidge more tan than brown?Ahhhhh!

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #100 of 184

yep, not everyone's vocab is upe to par, lol.

i don't have contracts yet as i am still a newbie but i do hand out a general info sheet that says if any details are left unsaid by buyer, i reserve the right to use my own indiscretion and if while decorating something does not seem to be working i reserve the right to make small changes to make it work. of course i will call first if possible.

yamber82 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:15pm
post #101 of 184

oops i meant discretion lol

and of course, it is worded a lot better than that icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:17pm
post #102 of 184

Oh yeah! Any color that comes with an adjective must also come with a color swatch! "Brown" I can do. "warm butter monkeybutt brown" must have a color swatch on file.

One bride brought me a paint card from the hardware store .... that was pretty neat!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:22pm
post #103 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

One bride brought me a paint card from the hardware store .... that was pretty neat!

I tell all the brides to go to the Home Depot to raid their paint cards! Or Lowe's, I'm an equal-opportunity paint card thief.

Another idea that I took from a rental place I work with is to take a three-ring binder with the pocket pages that you use for baseball cards and put a bunch of different paint cards in them. That way you can pull it out and have the bride show you the color they want if they don't have a swatch with them. The rental place uses that method to show all of the colors of linens they have, and I thought it was great idea. Whenever I go to the hardware store I "liberate" a few more color cards to put into my notebook.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #104 of 184

I like the one with the butterflies, its beautiful.

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:46pm
post #105 of 184

"monkey butt" brown??? is that darker or lighter than warm chocolate?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:49pm
post #106 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by emccle

"monkey butt" brown??? is that darker or lighter than warm chocolate?

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:04am
post #107 of 184

Did I miss was he ribbon provided by the bride or the OP? The brown looks really light to me but if she never gave a swatch then she really didnt have anything to match it up to. I have had to make a cake with the color espresso and I was thinking that Id just use the choc brown fondant but then once I recieved a swatch I needed to darken the brown to match her color.

I think maybe if the tiers were all the same height that maybe the ribbon would have looked better. Im just not a fan of thick ribbon like that. I do think when making wedding cakes there should be no saying its not perfect. If someone is paying you to make a wedding cake the you should be able to give them something that is almost flawless because of course decorators notice flaws in cake that the normal person wouldnt notice but if there are obvious things wrong with the cake then they have every right to complain.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:09am
post #108 of 184

Be careful, Indy. Monkey butt brown could easily be mixed up with "Baboon butt red"...and I'm assuming that comes with your signature "Earwax filling"?

To the OP--so sorry you had to deal with such a jerk. I agree with previous comments that the bride should have had the final say. Does anyone establish with their Brides/Grooms who exactly should be there to "accept" the cake and deem it worthy? I'm thinking that's something I might cover now that I'm doing weddings.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #109 of 184

So sorry this happened to you. I sadly can see my crazy mother pulling something like that.. ugh, there is NO excuses for that type of behavior!

Just chalk it up at a learning experience. Next time make sure to get color swatches as we all have different opinions on what colors are. I recently had a bride ask for apple green flowers on her cupcakes for a cupcake wedding. Thank gosh I asked for a color swatch because the color was more of a chartreuse w/ a hint of gray. This is not how I imagine apple green, but everyone is different. Also, if they want ribbon, get the ribbon from the bride. The ribbon on this cake looks a little too thick for the layers and isn't uniform, which could be due to you being rushed. Maybe you can take one less order and insure you have time for perfection opposed to rushing on someone's dream cake.

Again, so sorry. Try to make it a positive and learn from the situation. Your cakes are beautiful btw.. I just LOVE the butterfly one.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:17am
post #110 of 184

I am a paint card liberator also icon_wink.gif

Most of the time people bring a swatch with them though. Most brides are pretty picky about colors matching and have the forethought to bring a sample of "their" colors.

The order forms and contracts that I use pretty much cover my butt for ANYTHING and I always get a contact persons name from the bride to verify the order upon delivery.

There are copies of my contracts in my photos if any of the newbies are looking for one.

serialbabe1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serialbabe1968 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:20am
post #111 of 184

i don't to be mean, but if i paid a professional i would never accept this cake either. i would have cried if this was my cake.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #112 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialbabe1968

i don't to be mean, but if i paid a professional i would never accept this cake either. i would have cried if this was my cake.

icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:27am
post #113 of 184
Quote:

But if that's what they ordered, that's what they ordered. If they special-ordered ribbon they obviously wanted that specific ribbon. I don't see what's so bad about it that you'd cry over it.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #114 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj

Be careful, Indy. Monkey butt brown could easily be mixed up with "Baboon butt red"...and I'm assuming that comes with your signature "Earwax filling"?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I am crying, that too funny alanaj.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #115 of 184
Quote:

well, I'd be crying having to make it.

It's one of those -- and why do I have to make cakes I do NOT like!!!!

(brown and pink -- YUCK!)

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #116 of 184

OP I'm sorry this happened. I don't know how that cake is worse than a grocery store cake but hey some people are just crazy. Not perfect but definately not worthy of ruining a wedding. I hope things work out for you.

I have a clause in my contract that states no matter who pays for the cake it's the Bride and Groom's cake and I will only accept changes from them (in writing). I go over that at consults too.

If the bride herself didn't tell me to take the cake away I wouldn't have taken it. And come to think of it I wouldn't have taken it either way. It's their cake. They paid for it. They can dispose of it. That way they can't make up some crazy story about how you left with their cake.

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #117 of 184

Okay...the bride provided that ribbon so I wonder if she thought the tiers would be taller and the ribbon wouldn't cover so much of the cake. Well...I guess I mean the MOB thought that....

I'm VERY interested also to see what the bride's reaction was to all this.

I like the idea of the color swatches from the paint sections...I'll have to remember that!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #118 of 184
Quote:

Quote:

Doug...brown and pink complement each other nicely when you have the right shades....although I would not choose those colors for my wedding more for like a baby shower icon_wink.gif

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:54am
post #119 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

Quote:

Quote:

Doug...brown and pink complement each other nicely when you have the right shades....although I would not choose those colors for my wedding more for like a baby shower icon_wink.gif

Bring out the color swatches icon_wink.gif DARK brown and hot pink look good together I think....but I'm with you...not for my wedding.

yamber82 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #120 of 184

aw icon_sad.gif i did a wedding cake for a 4th of july wedding and i actually think it is hideodorous but it is EXACTLY what she asked for. she even came over the night before and was overjoyed with the flowers etc. it's in my pix if you guys want to look at it icon_wink.gif

so yea, if it's what she asked for it's what she asked for. not your prob.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%