M.o.b. Refused My Cake!

Decorating By 1dessertdiva Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 3:22am by Cricketina

1dessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1dessertdiva Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #1 of 184

My assistant delivered my second of three wedding cakes on Saturday because I was BUSY!! cooking for a 130 person wedding reception as well as making the last cake ( 4 tiers).
Before she had even returned the mother of the bride called to tell me she was mortified by the cake and if her daughter see's it she will vomit!
Are you kidding me? icon_surprised.gif I proceed to ask what is wrong and what can I do to fix it to her satisfaction, she said I probably can't, it is tilted, the wrong color and it is hideous! I inform her I made it the color requested by her daughter which was "warm chocolate brown", she said NO it is to be dark brown!, I informed her I had the e-mail from her daughter and I would be happy to show her when I get there as I assume the cake was "tilted" perhaps in transport or some other way as it was straight when I got pictures of it. Any way after I get there she spends the next 1/2 hour or more berating me and my ability to do cake and ends with you need to get it out of here before my daughter see's it! OK So as far as I know one of her people bumped the table or something as it was a tiny bit tilted, my assistant took pics before she left it was straight. So now what? It was a variation of a Martha cake, the ribbon was imported from Germany, I made chocolate marshmallow fondant, matched the pink of the ribbon exactly with the royal icing, the cake was made from scratch and I had to pay to have it delivered, wasted time and gas to retrieve it and it made the rest of my day Catering a living hell.
Thanks for letting me vent icon_cry.gif
Joan

183 replies
2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #2 of 184

It sounds beautiful. Would love to see the pic. I am sure the Bride was happy or she would have called you. Keep your chin up!!

cakedoc88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoc88 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #3 of 184

just wanted to give you a hug ....and hope the rest of your days gets better... i dont bake professionallly so cant give advice... but i'm sure the others will

just a thought... did you get to talk to the bride at all? maybe she and her mom have really different tastes. at the very least i would email her and let her know what happened and give your side. keep us posted.

-ann

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:23am
post #4 of 184

Wait....so did you take the cake back with you, and? And??? Refund? Please no....

1dessertdiva Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #5 of 184

Her Mom made me take it away, including the sheet cake!
She said she was going to get a supermarket cake.
So she was more interested in ruining her daughters day, then looking for an alternative.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:26am
post #6 of 184

Why are people so dramatic?! I wish I could give you a hug. I know it's been hellish! Tomorrow will be better.

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:26am
post #7 of 184

Who paid for this cake? I wouldn't remove anything at the MOB's request unless the MOB paid for it. If it was my wedding, and my mother sent my cake away, she'd be headless.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:28am
post #8 of 184

You got proof that it was straight, DO NOT give her back a penny.Who knows what the Mom's problem was. I feel bad for the daughter, who didn't hav any control for what her mother did.

1dessertdiva Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:28am
post #9 of 184

Not sure how this will play out, I am waiting for a call.
I should have left the cake and told the Mom there is a charge for transporting the cake either way icon_lol.gif

1dessertdiva Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:33am
post #10 of 184

Mom paid for half. I think Mom has issues with how high maintenance her Daughter is.
Although this is one of my Brides that I had a million e-mails from, I should have known there could be problems
The Mom asked the Groom to be should I take it away before the Bride can see it and he said Yes, she then asked if he got pictures and he said lots.
So it does not sound like a happy ending is heading my way.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #11 of 184

Hum..... This story sounds familar to a past story that went on and on....... Think about it ladies.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #12 of 184

sounds like buyer's remorse....

trying to get out of paying for big expensive cake any way they can.

bet they went way over budget!

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:39am
post #13 of 184

"If the daughter sees it she will vomit!"

OMG, what a despicable old bat! Was "Momzilla" included in the cake ordering process? I hope for the sake of the bride & groom they plan on living a few thousand miles away from her.

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:44am
post #14 of 184

Not sure if it will help me in the long run but I put a disclaimer on my website that says problems with decorations must be photographed and problems with the cake must have a frozen sample returned for verification, no refunds on unsubstantiated claims and only credit on future orders for disagreements on quality of product. So far, a bear that delivered o.k. and didn't make it home with the buyer driving is my worst but I'm basically having them sign that they won't ask for a refund in a dispute and they're going for it or they're going elsewhere.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #15 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

Hum..... This story sounds familar to a past story that went on and on....... Think about it ladies.

detective.gificon_wink.gif

I almost hope you are right. I can't imagine this seriously happening. I feel for ya OP, if this really went down like this. Can't blame us for being skeptical though, there have been some crazy threads that started just like this and turns out, we were hoodwinked! icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #16 of 184

Picture? Before and after? Please?

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:49am
post #17 of 184

I'm with steplite....I'll wait and see. I've been wrong before, I could be wrong again!!!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:53am
post #18 of 184

Seriously? If this really happened, it is the craziest thing I've ever heard. They still could have eaten the cake. So, she sent your cake and sheet away, with the plan of getting a grocery store cake? what??

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #19 of 184

OMG - that is horrendous behaviour! Those kind of things cut to the core, she behaved so badly. My mum would never make a decision like that without asking me first.

I would not even know where to begin with a description like "Warm chocolate brown!" sounds like poo! I would have made her give me a pic of the colour at least!

What we do is creative, artistic and open to our individual interpretation, "Dark brown" is very specific, if they cant communicate a simple instruction - bad luck lady!

I hope it works out ok for you - post us a pic, I'm intrigued!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:04am
post #20 of 184

I almost hope you are right. I can't imagine this seriously happening. I feel for ya OP, if this really went down like this. Can't blame us for being skeptical though, there have been some crazy threads that started just like this and turns out, we were hoodwinked! icon_lol.gif[/quote]

Ooooh this is too interesting.................... Jamie, hoodwinked as in someone with too much time on their hands or as in the cake was seriously bad??!! icon_eek.gif

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:07am
post #21 of 184

Need pictures, please.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:10am
post #22 of 184

Hood winked as in made up, lie, false story to get our goats. I don't think the one I'm thinking of is around anymore. But I think it took a full weekend for someone to track down a pic of the cake in the center of the drama, turns out it was a photoshopped pic from another persons site. It had everyone going for quite awhile. True or not, it was a dang good thread! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:12am
post #23 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

Need pictures, please.

And why does your picture always, without fail, remind me of the movie "Super Troopers"?!??!

You boys like Meh-hee-coe??? Yeeeeehaw!!!

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

laboti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laboti Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #24 of 184

well if they come up with we need our money back or anything like it you should tell them that u delivered what the bride had ordered and there was nothing wrong, and a contract is a contract!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:16am
post #25 of 184

Seriously where are the pics? Go post comments on pics people actually posted.icon_smile.gif

1dessertdiva Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:35am
post #26 of 184

I will post pictures as soon as I get them from my assistant.
The cake was not "Perfection" but it certainly was worthy of the Wedding reception.
It taste fantastic too!! I gave it to my Grand daughter for her birthday!
A four tier fondant covered cake with ribbon imported from Germany, some one got to enjoy it!

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:40am
post #27 of 184

if the mom and bride were so high maintenance than surely they wouldn't have settle for a greocery store last minute cake under any circumstance. sounds to me like she had one one hand already or she would have atleast tried to make yours work

and yes, i fmy mom did that =, even if she paid for the whole thing she would be dismembered, lol

chryscrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chryscrazy Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:46am
post #28 of 184

I can absolutely see this happening. After the grocery store I have worked in, I can believe almost any outrageous customer behavior.

Once I had a customer come 2 hours late to pick up her cake, and then dropped it on the floor while she was holding it (1/2 sheet) in one hand and talking on her phone with the other. She brought it back to me and started yelling at me because she claimed I didn't close the container. After telling her that I could make her another one in about 20 minutes she started cussing at me about how her party was already started, so I told her it's not my fault she came late! I know I shouldn't have said that but she was already being so rude to me! Anyway while I am making her another cake she calls me a bitch and a tramp multiple times loud enough for the whole store to hear, and told me I would be standing in the unemployment line while her party goes on.

Sorry I got off on a long tangent just to say I can see that happening.

warmshade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warmshade Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:58am
post #29 of 184

I have so many people do this with tuxes. They complain about quality when they ordered the high end and then get mad at me when I wont CUSTOM alter a RENTAL jacket, which I most certainly do if it were something they were buying.
I had one MOB who said that if I didn't order her in the exact items that she was looking for the groom to try on she was going to sue the corp I work for, then she called two other stores. So not only did I get to listen to her b**ch and have to do it with a smile, I also got three separate calls from the managers and my regional. But after all that she still picked up in my store and we still got the volume. Ha, I win!-K

sarahnash_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnash_14 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:59am
post #30 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by chryscrazy

I can absolutely see this happening. After the grocery store I have worked in, I can believe almost any outrageous customer behavior.

Once I had a customer come 2 hours late to pick up her cake, and then dropped it on the floor while she was holding it (1/2 sheet) in one hand and talking on her phone with the other. She brought it back to me and started yelling at me because she claimed I didn't close the container. After telling her that I could make her another one in about 20 minutes she started cussing at me about how her party was already started, so I told her it's not my fault she came late! I know I shouldn't have said that but she was already being so rude to me! Anyway while I am making her another cake she calls me a bitch and a tramp multiple times loud enough for the whole store to hear, and told me I would be standing in the unemployment line while her party goes on.

Sorry I got off on a long tangent just to say I can see that happening.

Wow, that was awful! I force myself to accept that there are really people like that in the world and yet I still fail to understand why they act like they do. I mean, is it just a bad day (still doesn't give them the right though) or a psychotic disorder?

In response to the M.O.B.'s outrageous behavior, I would've left the cake there and left them to deal with it (after spending about five minutes forcing to keep my mouth shut and my hands from lifting the cake and shoving it in her face icon_twisted.gif ). No refunds! Please tell me you didn't give a refund.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%