My Cricut Success With Gumpaste

Decorating By Jenn2179 Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 2:14pm by dylan123

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 8:34pm
post #91 of 129

I just went to the Joanns site now, to see if I can get a few extra cutting mats and here is where I got redirected to:
http://backup.joann.com/

I'm glad they'll be honoring their prices and coupons, but it's a bit ridiculous. I haven't had that trouble with any other online retailer.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:48am
post #92 of 129

I got mine! There were still a few left in the store at about 9:30 AM Friday morning. icon_biggrin.gif

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:53am
post #93 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

I got mine! There were still a few left in the store at about 9:30 AM Friday morning. icon_biggrin.gif

Yea Polkadot!!! So happy you were able to get one too!

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:55am
post #94 of 129

Cricuts for 69.00? Geez I paid almost 400.00 for mine icon_cry.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:58am
post #95 of 129

i was at joannes today, and they were demo-ing the cricut. a stunning machine! so i said to the sales lady, that it can be used for cake decorating - to cut gumpaste. she looked at me like i had ten heads! and she absolutely disagreed with me.
thank you for posting your pics so i know im not crazy.
would LOVE to have one, but way out of my price range.
have fun with yours!

andpotts Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:03am
post #96 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailika

Cricuts for 69.00? Geez I paid almost 400.00 for mine icon_cry.gif

Don't worry, you've got to be talking about the Cricut E, the $69 price was for the smaller Cricuts, but a good deal none the less. icon_smile.gif I was thrilled to get my Expression bundle from HSN for $280 at the begining of the year thumbs_up.gif
LL

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 5:52am
post #97 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

Yea Polkadot!!! So happy you were able to get one too!

Me too...made my day!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 6:15am
post #98 of 129

YAY Polkadot! I'm glad that it worked out for you in the end!! Now we can have fun together learning how to use our new toy. icon_biggrin.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:01am
post #99 of 129

I was gonna buy one this weekend, I couldnt resist the price. I was telling my boyfriend I was about to buy it, and he was like "NO YOU CANT!"

And I was like " Are you kidding me, its on sale?!"

Than he spilled the beans and told me he got me the cricut expression for christmas icon_smile.gif

I cant wait, I have the best boyfriend ever! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

andpotts Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:23am
post #100 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

Than he spilled the beans and told me he got me the cricut expression for christmas icon_smile.gif

I cant wait, I have the best boyfriend ever! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Kayla, he is a keeper icon_smile.gif Seriously you will love your E! I can't tell everyone enough to check out the my pink stamper website I posted, her Cricut videos taught me all of the cool features and how to use them before mine even came in the mail, there is so much about it that isn't easily understood just by reading, she makes it all sooooo clear. Congratulations, major, major points to your boyfriend!

CakeyThings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyThings Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:59am
post #101 of 129

Awwww good boyfriend!!

anyway....people will stop looking at us like nutters soon
I noticed at the Florida ICES mini classes

Using the Cricut Cutter- Norm Davis
Norman will show how to cut out fondant/gum paste by using the electronic Cricut cutter. You will see how simple it is to cut out intricate lace pieces, characters, flowers and numbers and place them on your cake. This method is so quick and easy. Now, what you can do for scrap booking you can also do on cake.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:34pm
post #102 of 129

That is really cool!

Jen icon_smile.gif

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:51pm
post #103 of 129

andpotts,

i don't have an expression but i think the mypinkstamper videos are worth watching because the woman is such a hoot!

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm
post #104 of 129

Yes, andpotts I got the cricut expression bundle from getmycricut.com I love it but the HSN bundle was better than mine & I have cute gumpaste with it. But I'm afraid the blade might get damaged at first had a hard time with the rollers marking the gumpaste lol.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 12:12am
post #105 of 129

I just got my Cricut at Michaels on Friday for $69. I was SO EXCITED about the price. I cannot wait to try it out!!!

crazydoglady Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:26pm
post #106 of 129

i'm finding that it's fairly easy to cut simple designs but takes some tweaking to get small detail. i'm going to try gumpaste today.

kayla1505 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:01pm
post #107 of 129

He's awesome, and he won major points for that. icon_smile.gif

Althought hes torturing me now cuz he picked the slowest shipping so it would get here closer to christmas. So I have to wait 2 weeks for my cricut. I hope he doesnt expect me to leave it wraped untill christmas, cuz thats just not gonna happen. lol

He propably got me the cricut to shut me up, lol. I've been talking it for months, since I saw it could be used for cakes.

I already saved the link to mypinkstamper and scrappydew.com.

I cant wait icon_smile.gif

kayla1505 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:55pm
post #108 of 129

OMG I came home from work and there was a big box waiting for me. YAY! I though I would have to wait forever.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

crazydoglady Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:05pm
post #109 of 129

kayla,

you are in for some serious fun!

i've had mine for a couple of weeks and finally had success with it today.

it's good to know that someone else is doing the happy dance today!

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:16pm
post #110 of 129

So, am I understanding correctly that you guys are inserting gumpaste into the machine and cutting it? I asked this question before and was told no, but it sure sounds like that's what you're saying (without going back to the beg. of this thread).

Moofiebonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moofiebonbon Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:39am
post #111 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIL

So, am I understanding correctly that you guys are inserting gumpaste into the machine and cutting it? I asked this question before and was told no, but it sure sounds like that's what you're saying (without going back to the beg. of this thread).

Yes, that is what people are doing. I have not tried it yet, waiting for all of my supplies to arrive. I have the cricut, the Linda McClure video, now waiting for my tylose powder (to use fondant rather than gumpaste) and my deep blade housing & blade. There is a wealth of information on here about how to do it, so it is worth the read. Do a search for cricut and there is a thread that is about 20 pages long that has a ton of info that is so helpful!

HTH!

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:59pm
post #112 of 129

I just got my new Cricut Expression on Tuesday from a local craft store (Craft's Direct). They still have this amazing deal on a limited edition (Blue) Cricut Expression and it comes with 2 cartidges, the mat, etc. Their website also has deals on cartidges right now - I just got one for $24.00. Since the store is in my town, I can pick up the items and not pay shipping, but I think shipping is $7.50 or so. I love my new Cricut and am excited to start using it for cakes. I have also been doing a lot of research on SCAL and I am waiting for Version 2.0 for the Apple Mac. Does anyone use SCAL with your Mac?

Here is the website...I'll put some spaces in so it doesn't get blocked.

http: //www. cricut-craftsdirect. com/servlet/StoreFront

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:03pm
post #113 of 129

I forgot to mention on my previous post that my Cricut on that site was $238. I haven't been able to find any that cheap for the "Expression." And it's so pretty with the blue and the designs on the front and back. Attached is a pic of iticon_smile.gif
LL

connie0603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie0603 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:52am
post #114 of 129

Got the Cricut today and my friend and my friend asked "did you get a food grade one? So that made me question the sanitary aspect of this. How do you get the sticky off and then sanitize the board? How about the needle etc.?

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:14am
post #115 of 129

The cricut cartridges are on sale this week at Hobby Lobby for 39.99 each

crazydoglady Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:25pm
post #116 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie0603

Got the Cricut today and my friend and my friend asked "did you get a food grade one? So that made me question the sanitary aspect of this. How do you get the sticky off and then sanitize the board? How about the needle etc.?

i put parchment paper on the cutting board. the needle is easily removed and cleaned.
because fondant w/tylose and gumpaste are the easiest materials to use in the cricut, i haven't cut anything that will be eaten anyway.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:51pm
post #117 of 129

Hi everyone! I'm glad you're all having such fun with your Cricuts! I'm still a bit to chicken to use mine for gumpaste yet, but I'm getting up the courage slowly.

I just found a craigslist add in my area for a woman who rents Cricut cartridges for $5 a week, with a $20 refundable deposit. Compared to the price of buying one that I would only use for one or two projects, that is a great deal. You may want to check to see if there's anyone in your area that does this!

lsmcvay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsmcvay Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:50am
post #118 of 129

I have been using my Cricut for a couple years now.....and have a HUGE library. I have something that I want to share that I LOVE!

Get the "Make the Cut" software...... you can convert all jpeg files to SVG files and cut the on your cricut. You will want to have the Cricut software on you computer...just so you can maniplulate things anyway. Also....If you go to Sure Cuts Alot's website...there are a whole slew of free True Type files....with AWESOME Wingdings!!!

I went with Makes the Cut instead of Sure Cuts Alot because it works well with my cricut software and it is OH SO EASY to use!

lsmcvay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsmcvay Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #119 of 129

After May 1st, you can get the food grade mats from www.cricut.com. Just keep them, and the blade that you are using seperate from paper tools.

MarieT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarieT Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:58pm
post #120 of 129

I hope this isn't old news but I just saw that they now have a Cricut just for cake decorating. You can see a short video on it here: http://www.cricut.com/cricutcake/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%