My Cricut Success With Gumpaste

Decorating By Jenn2179 Updated 3 Feb 2011 , 2:14pm by dylan123

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 129

Ok so I bought the cricut yesterday and used it with gumpaste today and it worked. I rolled the gumpaste to a 9 on my pasta machine. Now I wish I had more than one cartridge. Here's a picture of my testing today.
LL

128 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 129

Sweet! I am so getting one. I don't care much for the price of the cartridges though.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 129

Tears of joy

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 129

Wow that is so cool - did you let the gumpste dry first - or better yet how did you do it?

Thanks

Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 129

Details please! Which machine , etc. I'd really like to buy a Cricut , but... you know ..money! I have to know more, please.

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #6 of 129

Yes, please, more detail! My husband is looking at getting me one for my Birthday next week but I was concerned about how it would work with gum paste. What a success. Which model did you buy? Where did you get it? Thank you for sharing, and great timing for me.

danizabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danizabe Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:06am
post #7 of 129

icon_biggrin.gif Thats great, i got it too,il like to know if you let the gum paste dry a little bit ?

Jenn2179 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:08am
post #8 of 129

I got the small machine for $99 at Michaels. I have found the cartridges are best priced on ebay. I am bidding on a few and will do buy it now on a few. Better prices than at the craft stores and larger selection. I got that other program too but haven't used it yet. Have to play with it. I put the gumpaste through my pasta machine to the thinnest setting. I have the blade on 4, the pressure on 1 and the speed on 4. After I rolled it out I stuck it on the mat that I took all the sticky off of. I used a thin layer of crisco to stick it down. Put it in the machine and cut away.

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:14am
post #9 of 129

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so excited to go home and tell my hubby what kind and where to get my Birthday present! icon_lol.gif

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #10 of 129

I got the Cricut this past Christmas, and I haven't had a chance to try it with the gumpaste yet but i have several cartridges... Thanks for posting this!! There's a system you can buy online- i believe it's called like cut anything or something, it shows up on ebay when you search for cricut. It's like 80$ but once you buy it you can do any pics you can find online or the cartridges without having to buy each individual cartridge.

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:18am
post #11 of 129

Sure Cuts Alot!!!!! The Best thing that I have found for cartridges! Well with SCAL you dont need the cartridges anymore maybe for somethings if you just want them but for fonts this program is the best buy! It's $75.00 but while worth it! I got it and I love it cause it uses all the fonts on you computer and other things you should check out the Web-site! But you did a Awsome job! Really check out the site! (hobby Lobby has cartridges this week 2/$89.99) not bad but you can check out Customcrafts.com for cartridges to! good deals there!

goddessa12 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:49am
post #12 of 129

That's it Cavette- do you have the Sure cuts a lot? is it easy to download fonts and everything?

cavette Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:53am
post #13 of 129

I got it about 4 days ago and there are so many things you can do withit! I am still learning somethings about the program but you should check out svgcuts.com great web-site to help you use the programs he has some awesome videos!

- The web-site for great deals on cartridges is customcrops.com not customcrafts.com sorry for the mix up! -

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #14 of 129

I bought the Cricut Expressions today at Joann for $299 and got the video today! Guess what I will be playing with tomorrow?!?!?

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:03am
post #15 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

I bought the Cricut Expressions today at Joann for $299 and got the video today! Guess what I will be playing with tomorrow?!?!?

Hi Wendy!

Keep us posted on how it works! I received my cricut this evening!! I was only able to play for a little bit...it works well but I feel like I am missing something icon_smile.gif I can't wait to hear about your experience...(if you don't mind sharing the knowledge icon_smile.gif)

Thanks!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:07am
post #16 of 129

http://www.craftedge.com/index.html

Now this looks interesting. All those fancy fonts I like to do with lightbox...hmmmm, NO MORE?!?! Woo hoo!

Tangerine1765 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tangerine1765 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #17 of 129

What kinda of pasta machine do u have? I have a kitchenaid mixer but don't really want to spend $60 on a pasta roller... is there a cheaper hand crank or do I need the kitchenaid roller? And how do you make your gumpaste creations stick to the fondant? buttercream or something else?
Thank you!

Jenn2179 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:15pm
post #18 of 129

I just have an atlas one I got at the kitchen store for like $30. I will eventually get one for my kitchenaid but not yet. I haven't actually put anything on a cake yet. Just trying it out. I have been messing with some programs and can tell I am going to love the sure cuts a lot program and inkscape. I will just use a little water to stick them on fondant covered cakes.

Tangerine1765 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tangerine1765 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:25pm
post #19 of 129

Thank you!! I will go try to find a pasta machine next week. I don't know if you saw or not but if you get sure cuts a lot it will void your cricut warranty. I have both cricuts w/ several carts and you can usually find the cartridges on sale for $30. Customcrops.com has them on sale now for $34.99 I think.
Thank you!

danizabe Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #20 of 129

please ladys i need your advise,i got the cricut that was on sale at miquels.so before i go any further,il like to know if the cut a lot can be adapted to these machine i dont have that much to spend unless its worth it with the machine i have

cavette Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 129

The program will work with all the cricut system I believe!

Thank you!! I will go try to find a pasta machine next week. I don't know if you saw or not but if you get sure cuts a lot it will void your cricut warranty. I have both cricuts w/ several carts and you can usually find the cartridges on sale for $30. Customcrops.com has them on sale now for $34.99 I think.
Thank you!

( I was just wondering why would it void your warrenty?) I bought mine at H.S.N. so I believe i have a different warrenty with them outside of the the one that the makers provide, guess that's a good thing in case it does.

danizabe Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:58pm
post #22 of 129

no i dont saw,but i do cakes sometimes a lot sometimes nothing,but i really dont care about guaranties they have never work for me unlesss i bring my items next day or so,but i still wonder were is the swich to plug into the computer ,because i ask you is that it will keep me from bying more cartriges i guess that with cut alot ill get what i need for now,thankyou i really do appreciate your advice icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cavette Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:08pm
post #23 of 129

I found my pasta roller at Ross for $ 5.00 cause the box was messed up! You can check there they usually have them for around $11.00 or so! And it a good roller and a great price. Just a thought I budget everything and find great deals just looking and great products

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:08pm
post #24 of 129

Ok ladies just checked out hobby lobby's site.

Here's this weeks circular. The Cricut Personal is on sale for $159.99

http://hobbylobby.com/weekly/large_view.cfm

They also have their 40% off coupon & you can use it on the hand crank pasta machine. The ones in my town are located in the clay isle.

luvchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvchocolate Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:07pm
post #25 of 129

I thought some of you would be interested in this . . . HSN (Home Shopping Network) is selling the Cricut Expression with four cartridges today for $429 -- shipping & handling is free. I believe they are also offering "easy pay."

I ordered one!!!

goddessa12 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #26 of 129

Has anyone tried to use their cricut for cardstock after trying the gumpaste? My DH is worried i'm not going to be able to use it for both.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:05am
post #27 of 129

I have a couple of questions. How stiff does the gumpaste have to be before you cut it & how stiff before taking it off the board? I'm wondering about stretching, wrinkling or even cracking & breaking if it dries too much.

Then there is the ? of will it have to be removed before cutting the cake or will it stay soft enough? Although gumpaste is edible it isn't advised.

Has anyone tried adding tylose to fondant then using it in the cricut?

fontjunkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fontjunkie Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:12pm
post #28 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavette

The program will work with all the cricut system I believe!

Thank you!

( I was just wondering why would it void your warrenty?) I bought mine at H.S.N. so I believe i have a different warrenty with them outside of the the one that the makers provide, guess that's a good thing in case it does.

The only way that cricut will ever know that you are using surecutsalot is if you call them up and tell them you are using it!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:25pm
post #29 of 129

I am soooooo excited..I just bought my Personal cricut.I just didn't feel I needed the Expressions for what I want to do with it...it was on sale for $129.99 regular $269.99 Yipee!!! Now I have to get the DVD and the Sure cuts alot program as you can do more without spending hundreds on cartridges...

I can't wait!!!!

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:35pm
post #30 of 129

Where did you buy for that price? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%