Using The Cricut With Gum Paste

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:58am
post #211 of 596

Thanks icon_smile.gif

As for the attachment, it just started working icon_biggrin.gif I had posted the photos in the Template gallery the other night and had it removed too. Glad the function is working again.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:15pm
post #212 of 596

To all the Cricut users.......

It sounds like you have to let your Gumpaste sit out for a little while to stiffen up. If this is the case, can the gumpaste still be applied to the side of a round cake without cracking. My concern is that the GP will be to stiff to contour to the curve of the cake????

Thanks

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #213 of 596

WOW am I glad I found this thread. Now I am going to have to go buy something else to use!!! Husband is going to kill me ... that's for sure!!!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:51pm
post #214 of 596

Great demo using the nickle to show thickness. I have the Silhouette SD but it works the same as your Cricuts. I haven't found the 'extra deep' blade holders for mine, so I just trimmed down one of the plastic holders with a nail file to expose more of the blade and it worked just great.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:12pm
post #215 of 596

Okay, so I'm going to go buy the Cricut machine and order Linda's DVD. My head is swimming with ideas! I have a couple questions for those of you who have used this machine.
1. Does the Cricut Expressions come with the deep cutting blade or is that something I need to purchase additionally?
2. I still want to be able to cut paper products with it (particularly cupcake wrappers). Can the machine still be used for paper AND for gumpaste?

Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #216 of 596

No, the deep cut housing and blade must be purchased separately.

Yes and No: cutting the gumpaste does not stop you from being able to cut paper products. I have separate blades for gumpaste and paper products and separate ink containers as well, but use the same housing just switching out the blades depending on which product I am working on. I also have separate mats as well.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #217 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

No, the deep cut housing and blade must be purchased separately.

Yes and No: cutting the gumpaste does not stop you from being able to cut paper products. I have separate blades for gumpaste and paper products and separate ink containers as well, but use the same housing just switching out the blades depending on which product I am working on. I also have separate mats as well.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Thank you for your quick response! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm heading out today to buy the machine, so I'll make sure to look for the deep cutting blade (I hope JoAnn carries it) and probably will buy some extra mats. Thanks for your help!! icon_smile.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #218 of 596

I have got to get me one but so much information is overwhelming... need to sit and read everything a few times!!!

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:36am
post #219 of 596

Well, everyone here is my first cake with a decoration cut on the Cricut. I just had to try it and since I promised this guy at work I would make his cake...the rest is history. It does take a lot of trial and error, but I did it!!
I used Fondx and added a little bit of Tylose and it worked like a charm. icon_confused.gif

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:41am
post #220 of 596

I guess the pics didn't attach. I will try again.
LL
LL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 12:05pm
post #221 of 596

I'm here to tell you that you do not have to remove the stickiness from the mat. Just press on a piece of waxed paper, put on a thin film of veg shortening and proceed.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #222 of 596

Is the deep housing blade compatible with the Cricut Personal? I bought the Personal yesterday @ JoAnns for $99. Now I kind of wish I bought the Expression for $199.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:22am
post #223 of 596

Is there anyone who is using Linda's paste as I am having trouble rolling it out just to get it through the pasta maker and I seem to have to wait ages before it has dried before I put it through my Cricut. I did have success with my own paste with tylose added. I seem to get one in every three tries to work and my goodness should I decide to do scroll work on a cake it would take me ages and my hair would be turning greyer (but you can't see it it's blonded. lol). It is not going to beat me!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #224 of 596

lecrn, yes the deep housing works with the personal.

Briarwiew I never did try Lindas, I'm using Wilton ready made out the bag and it's worked best so far for me.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm
post #225 of 596

I am so lost with all this information. I had purchased the Sure Cots A Lot, but have no idea what to do with it. I also joined the scrap saavy group, and have no idea on what to do with it either.

I have used my cricut, added tylose to MMF, it worked great! Now I have to firue out the rest.

Help Please!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #226 of 596

http://scrappydew.com/tutorials/files/category-inkscape-tutorial.html

Deetmar check out this link, it really helped me figure out how to use SCAL and Inkscape

lecrn Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #227 of 596

Something else to consider: Cricut has color inks that you can use to draw letters or shapes. The site doesn't say they are toxic or non-toxic, but I think that because the inks aren't intended for use on anything but non-edible surfaces, that if you have used the ink or plan to, you will not be able to use the Cricut to cut gumpaste designs. Although the ink colors are inserted after removing the cutting blade and so maybe it might be okay, but I don't think I will take that chance. Maybe someone that has the Cricut Color Inks could check their product and see if it is toxic or non-toxic.

Just wondering about the ink cart. that Linda replaced with airbrush color on the DVD. Are these pens that you draw with once the piece is cut or is this something that goes into the Expression? I have the personal & there's no place for cartriages. I don't think she was too specific about what to do with these.

ptanyer Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:04pm
post #228 of 596

Lecern, Linda's DVD shows you how to fix the pens with food safe color, and also shows you how to use the colors in relationship to cutting your projects.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #229 of 596

I plan to empty mine like she did on the DVD and adding airbrush color. Thanks for the link, I have all the fun stuff, and no idea how to use it.

lecrn Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:17pm
post #230 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

Lecern, Linda's DVD shows you how to fix the pens with food safe color, and also shows you how to use the colors in relationship to cutting your projects.

I saw where she cleaned & refilled the pens. I must have missed her instruction on actually using them. I go back & watch again.

ptanyer Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:49pm
post #231 of 596

I can't remember if it is on the 1st DVD or the 2nd one...sorry I can't be more specific.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:35pm
post #232 of 596

What's the best price anyone has found on SCAL version 2.0? I've got the Cricut Expressions, now need the software.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #233 of 596

I apologize if this has already been answered.

I just cut some flourishes out of fondant and it worked pretty well, except for the indentions from the paper feed rollers. How do you work around the rollers if you don't want to actually cut them off the Cricut? I do want to use mine for paper too.

I just ordered Linda's DVD too. Looking forward to becoming proficient in this fun new way to make cakes pretty! icon_smile.gif

Briarview Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:57pm
post #234 of 596

Cakepro I just rolled mine back to the outside one and now no indentions. Still practising with Linda's paste and there is so much to try and get right.

Cakepro Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:01pm
post #235 of 596

Thank you! I will try rolling mine over too. icon_smile.gif

Briarview Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #236 of 596

I have had Linda's paste sitting out for over an hour but it is not cutting. It just bunches up. It is still soft underneath. Checked the blade to see if it is clean. OK. Not having a clean cut. Did a shadow cut Flourish on wedding cartridge okay now tried it just normal and it just pulls off the mat.
Looks as though I will have to email Linda. Looks as though the less cuts the better it is. That is no good if I want to do floral side designs.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #237 of 596

Briarview -- did you adjust the speed and pressure for Linda's paste? In the DVD when she pulls off the paste it looks very pliable like vinyl almost. She let her's sit for to - 20 minures I believe. Also, have you tried differenc thickness with her past? Good Luck. Hope you figure it out!

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:37am
post #238 of 596

Oh my, I can't wait to learn how to use my cricut on cakes! Who has time for a job?!?!?

Briarview Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:06am
post #239 of 596

I have managed to get some great cutouts. After playing around for a long time I have finally come up with some designs. I did try Linda's paste but think perhaps it doesn't suit here (NZ) I used just tylose and fondant. I have attached my cutouts and am rapt. I was just about to give up as I was getting very frustrated then it worked!!!! I have the blue housing blade on 6 pressure 3 and speed 3, rolled my paste through my pasta maker on 3 (1 being the thinest 6 thickest) and I didn't have to leave the paste for too long before putting through. I think also before I was not greasing the mat enough (using crisco) and now it is quite liberal and smooth the paste over with the smoother. Have finished for the night and will have another go tomorrow just hope I haven't fluked it.
LL

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:24am
post #240 of 596

Briarview that looks awesome

I cant wait to get one

It sort of elimates buying patchwork cutters and scroll cutters

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%