Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 8:39pm by cloetzu

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #31 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by umgrzfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

I can't afford this now either.....can anyone give us some pointers icon_lol.gif

Obviously it doesn't look like anyone is willing to share the wealth. Ok, I for one am not worried about sharing some insight on what I know and how I gained the knowledge. So Tug, I'm going to put you in my buddy list and if I get the DVD before you do, I will PM you with instructions. How does that sound?

wow! this post has only been up a couple of hours and already jumping to the assumption no one is willing to help? I am sure people would share the info if they knew it.

I have never known this site or the posters on this site to be ones to hold back info....

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:13pm
post #32 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

I can't afford this now either.....can anyone give us some pointers icon_lol.gif

Obviously it doesn't look like anyone is willing to share the wealth. Ok, I for one am not worried about sharing some insight on what I know and how I gained the knowledge. So Tug, I'm going to put you in my buddy list and if I get the DVD before you do, I will PM you with instructions. How does that sound?

wow! this post has only been up a couple of hours and already jumping to the assumption no one is willing to help? I am sure people would share the info if they knew it.

I have never known this site or the posters on this site to be ones to hold back info....

Exactly. I just pointed out that this is also a holiday weekend and internet traffic tends to slow down considerably during such time periods. You'll get your answers ladies -- be patient! icon_razz.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #33 of 596

Someone on another thread told how to use the Cricut with gumpaste. Click on the link below and go down about 1/3 of the way - there's a post by a member named rvanok. Good, short description of how this person cuts gumpaste with a Cricut.

https://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-639858-previous.html

LSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:21pm
post #34 of 596

If you're interested in the cricut expression there are lots of them on ebay.I got a brand new one that came with 2 cartridges and free shipping for $230.00. I got it to use for stencils, but plan on getting the video soon.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #35 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Exactly. I just pointed out that this is also a holiday weekend and internet traffic tends to slow down considerably during such time periods. You'll get your answers ladies -- be patient! icon_razz.gif

Apologies to all...I certainly did not mean to sound impatient. icon_redface.gif Circumstances this weekend leave me the time to be at my computer. That's usually not the case...I'd normally be running my errands, doing weekend stuff till about 9 PM most weekend days...

When I said "it can't be that hard" - it was more "we should be able to figure this out" than "why aren't they answering".

Again - Cakers have ALWAYS been generous with advice and I'm sorry if I sounded whiney...

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:38pm
post #36 of 596

Id like to know the secret I have the small circuit everything I put in it to cut it shreds the edges I to are unable to buy the DVD at this time

Molly

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:56pm
post #37 of 596

Okay i just odered the video sweet Honey......Bought it for me!!! =) He keep's me happy! But anyway...... as soon as I get mine's I will share the love if you would like if it's not already shared.......just pm me! Also I bought a Cricut from HSN and they have Flex pay so you dont have to come off the money in one big bulk! That was alot for me to save at one time...... and it was a great deal! That's just alittle info if anyone is wanting one......and they dont let you use the coupons on the cricut products at all! Okay hope that helps.......

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:42pm
post #38 of 596

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/static?page=cricut

I saw this one just this week at Michaels....$99.00. is this one that you can 'do your own thing' or will you have to use the cartridges>

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:46pm
post #39 of 596

Have to purchase Cartridge also! but That's a great deal!

Candee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candee Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:11pm
post #40 of 596

Just a tidbit-if you are an educator by any chance, you can sign up for an educator's discount at JoAnn Fabric and think (not 100% certain-as I am sure it depends on who you talk to) you are able to use it on the Cricut/sale items.

So glad this topic ressurected.

I also had started a thread/topic on this back in February and so am very happy to know this info!

Can't wait to see what you find out about the DVD-that will be great!!

Candee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candee Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:12pm
post #41 of 596

Just a tidbit-if you are an educator by any chance, you can sign up for an educator's discount at JoAnn Fabric and think (not 100% certain-as I am sure it depends on who you talk to) you are able to use it on the Cricut/sale items.

So glad this topic ressurected.

I also had started a thread/topic on this back in February and so am very happy to know this info!

Can't wait to see what you find out about the DVD-that will be great!!

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #42 of 596

Oh no something else I'm saving for!

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 10:20pm
post #43 of 596

newmansmmom2004... I don't see it in that link?

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:18am
post #44 of 596

icon_smile.gif BTT.......I too have the 'baby Cricut'....am very interested in these video's.....what a great way to add to your cakes!

PS: The smaller Cricuts have come down DRASTICALLY in price....I got mine when it first came out....to the tune of almost $300.....several years ago. I have enjoyed it for my scrapping and cardmaking.....now to use it for cakes! I also will be upgrading to the big Cricut later this year.......so many things to buy!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #45 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

OK, that's wierd. The link has somehow changed to a thread about BBQ or something. How does that happen? Anyway - I cut and pasted the info here:

I use a Cricut to cut gumpaste. First of all, you have to remove all of the tackiness from the cutting mat, otherwise you can't get the paste off after it's cut. (I literally rub it all off with my fingers then wash the mat in hot water.) To hold the paste in place, I apply a thin smear of crisco to the mat. I roll the paste thin, to a #7 on my pasta machine, and let it dry slightly. It works best with old gumpaste actually. I trim the paste so that it does not extend beyond the area that paper would normally be on the mat. I set the blade depth to a 4.

I get very clean, precise cuts except when the blade needs to be cleaned (after about 24 uses). I just remove the blade holder and use a straight pin to flick out the build up of paste. It comes right out, and I'm up and running again.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:50am
post #46 of 596

icon_smile.gif THANK YOU so much for your speedy reply! I am very anxious to try this......gotta get in some practice next week. icon_smile.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #47 of 596
Quote:

I have a wishblade - wonder if it would work? It is basically the same as a cricut but uses the computer! How cool!

I use my Silhouette for frosting sheets all the time!! (It's pretty much the exact same thing). I havent tried gumpaste yet, but I may now.

For those debating the Cricut, you should also take a look at the Silhouette. It's the same idea, but you dont have to buy the expensive cartridges. You use your computer and can purchase shapes online OR do what I do and buy a year long membership to their store (THOUSANDS of awesome images) and get free downloads all year.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:35am
post #48 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/static?page=cricut

I saw this one just this week at Michaels....$99.00. is this one that you can 'do your own thing' or will you have to use the cartridges>

Since the "cricut expressions" came out it's very common to get great deals on the little one but what's expensive is the cartriges but sometimes Michael's puts some on sale, sadly Michael's coupon don't apply to cricut but in a good sale you can get one for around $40.00 to $50.00

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:36am
post #49 of 596
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

Actually there are. I just got a PM stating that it "wouldn't be fair". Well as I explained in my return message...there is a "copy" right law. The law states you cannot copy or resell the information. I for one am soooo very thankful to the people on here that do give the information cause without them, I wouldn't know half the things I do. I am one of those people that will do what I can and share any information I have on any one topic whether I have the DVD or not. If I can help out in the least bit, I will do it in a heart beat without thinking twice!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:44am
post #50 of 596

What about the warranty on the machine after using gumpaste? Anyone know?

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:48am
post #51 of 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

OK, that's wierd. The link has somehow changed to a thread about BBQ or something. How does that happen? Anyway - I cut and pasted the info here:

I use a Cricut to cut gumpaste. First of all, you have to remove all of the tackiness from the cutting mat, otherwise you can't get the paste off after it's cut. (I literally rub it all off with my fingers then wash the mat in hot water.) To hold the paste in place, I apply a thin smear of crisco to the mat. I roll the paste thin, to a #7 on my pasta machine, and let it dry slightly. It works best with old gumpaste actually. I trim the paste so that it does not extend beyond the area that paper would normally be on the mat. I set the blade depth to a 4.

I get very clean, precise cuts except when the blade needs to be cleaned (after about 24 uses). I just remove the blade holder and use a straight pin to flick out the build up of paste. It comes right out, and I'm up and running again.

You are awesome newmansmom!!! Just that tid bit of info helps me out so much! I am an avid scrapbooker as well and have the cricut expressions. My hubby will be pleased to know that there is yet ANOTHER thing I can use it for. I made baby cards not to long ago with it. If you get a chance, check out my website. Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

laweymers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laweymers Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:17am
post #52 of 596

Walmart actually has pretty good prices on the cricut machines. I have the Sure Cuts a Lot program and absolutely LOVE IT!! The cricut design studio needs the specific cartridges that Cricut sells......Lots of $$$. There is a program called Inkscape where you can design your own stuff (you can download it off the internet for FREE at inkscape.org) You then use the SCAL program to cut your designs on the cricut. The SCAL program also allows you to use ANY font you have on your computer (there are tons you can download for FREE off the internet too). It costs about $75 but is really worth the cost. I just ordered the video and can't wait to try it out on my cricut! Hope it's as easy as it sounds. I suppose if the cricut messes up the gumpaste, you can roll it out again and start over!

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:30am
post #53 of 596

Posted this on the other thread but decided to put it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love this idea. Can someone advise the best machine to get. I have surfed the net and found there are three different models. Cricut Machine, Cricut Expression and Cricut Create. The last two seem to give you smaller cuts .25. With the DVD from Linda Mclure what machine does she use. Also looked at software you can download from craftedge.com. Need someone to advise me and give me info before I buy as these are very expensive from this part of the world. If you want to pm me that would be great as I don't want to hog the topic. Thanks Audrey

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:03am
post #54 of 596

Wow I've just downloaded and had a play with the software programme "Sure Cuts Alot" and it is amazing. Now I want to get a Cricut as soon as . Will start inquiring tomorrow. Can see lots of possibilities.

laura_7845 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura_7845 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 10:34am
post #55 of 596

Thank you newmansmom2004!!! I'm definately going to experiment with this monday once the kiddos go back to summer camp. Who knew my cricut would end up helping me with cake decorating!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Valgal820 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valgal820 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:44pm
post #56 of 596

I didn't feel like I could justify a Cricut for just scrapbooking. I think I may have to reconsider now!!!!

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm
post #57 of 596

Are the cartridges interchangeable amongst the machines? Would the Create one @ Michaels be good to start with or is it better to wait and get the Expressions?

So glad someone posted this info! I had tried it with fondant and failed!

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #58 of 596

never mind...found my own answer and they are interchangeable.

myluvkris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myluvkris Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:41pm
post #59 of 596

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. My mom is a huge cricut-er! She has almost every cartridge, it has become impossible to buy her any cricut gifts LOL. Anyhow, those who are worried about the cartridge cost...I agree. I have the original cricut (paid $300, too icon_cry.gif ). Anyhow, just wanted to say that after christmas sales at Michael's are awesome. This past year they were as low as $20 or $30, and i was able to buy a few of my own, instead of raiding my mom's. icon_lol.gif

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #60 of 596

Anyone have the slice and try it with that? I am (ok was until cakes came around) an avid scraper and really want the slice... so i would be willing to invest it i could use it for scrapping and cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%