29 replies
lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:08am
post #2 of 30

have it set on my DVR

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 30

Im watching... what are the sugar sparkles????

Katie

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #4 of 30

im dvr'ing it I hope, hubbys downstairs...hope he didnt cancel it!!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #5 of 30

Those zombies are mannerless! (Duh!) I can't believe they attacked the cake and ate it with their bare hands. Yick.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #6 of 30

Uh-oh. Buddy's Devil Bride is back.

sweetsbystacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #7 of 30

This girl just took the word "bridezilla" to a whole new level.

sweetsbystacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #8 of 30

OMG! Have you guys seen this????? This girl is CRAZY!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #9 of 30

Does anyone besides me believe that about 98% of this show is staged for TV? I didn't buy a second of the bridezilla episode and really I'm not buying the whole thing about the "exotic" cake either. I love Buddy's cakes, but I think he takes away from his obvious talents with this over the top antics.

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #10 of 30

I like buddy but that bridezilla thing has to be set up. Seriously, I would have beat her with one of the decorating bags of frosting and there is NO way I would have done another cake. She would have had the self decorated cake.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #11 of 30

Yeah, Buddy's Mother was not believable. She had a smirk on her face when she "supposedly" walked in and saw them modeling the strippers. I swear if she said "No way, No how" one more time I was ready to throw the remote at the television. Couldn't they have given her another line?

I love his work and I wish they would just show more of that and less of the stupid silly "acting" stuff................ icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh and I agree about the zombies.........seriously......adults pulling apart a cake with their hands and stuffing it in their mouths! WTH? I must be getting old........... icon_lol.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:21am
post #12 of 30

you know...I love Buddy and I really love this show. The mom seemed a little staged..and so did the bride. but you gotta think, that bride seemed like she had some REAL mental issues! icon_lol.gif you know, little girl growing up with a whole bunch of money...people act like that! But, I'm very surprised at how Buddy kept his cool.

I just love watching the show. Such talent coming from making specialty cakes with all cake and it's GREAT entertainment icon_wink.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:15am
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiekatiekatie

Im watching... what are the sugar sparkles????

Katie

It was just sanding sugar...you can find it in the grocery store or cake decorating store.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:30pm
post #14 of 30

Wow! This episode had a lot going on. Those zombie people were super weird! From the way they had a zombie prom, to walking down the street, to wanting a nasty zombie cake... and yes, eating it with their bare hands. Gross. Think how many of those men didn't wash their hands before they ripped into that cake.

The stripper cake was hilarious! I loved the pink and white floor. So so cute! And yes, the mother was super dramatic!

And I forgot what the other cake was. (That will teach me to watch back to back episodes of Cake Boss. All the cakes are running together).

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #15 of 30

I have to say that I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited after the 1st episode where he made those 3 gorgeously piped wedding cakes. I assumed that all of the episodes were going to be like that -- showing the innerworkings of a bakery, awesome decorating talent, etc.

Since then, though, the show's really gone downhill IMHO. They've had multiple practical jokes, the bridezilla, the erotic cakes -- it all just seems staged, as others have said.

One of my daughter's students with autism who was tired of waiting for his grandma to finish chatting before taking him to lunch said to her, "Less talking, more McDonalding." icon_lol.gif

My family now paraphrases that to fit every occasion. So, I'm going to advise Buddy, "Less acting, more decorating."

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

One of my daughter's students with autism who was tired of waiting for his grandma to finish chatting before taking him to lunch said to her, "Less talking, more McDonalding."

That is the funniest thing I've heard all week LOL....love love love it!!!

Reminds me of my husband's favorite standing joke. Whenever our anniversary comes around, (or my birthday or mother's day) and I say, "where are we going to eat?" he says, "Im gonna super-size it for the little women and take your a&& to McDonalds" icon_lol.gif

<--- he's a southerner and likes Jeff Foxworthy.

Robertbakewell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Robertbakewell Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm
post #17 of 30

I agree that the reality show is staged. I found the mother super annoying and that bride was awful. I would have shoved her face in the cake.
I dont think many of the reality shows we see are real. I am sure they are being prompted constantly . they should come to our bakery, with all the characters and idiot customers, we wouldnt have to be prompted for excellent tv icon_eek.gif

scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #18 of 30

I totally believe this show to be scripted with a grabber, all in the name of the almighty ratings and ad revenue game. That said, I saw this episode last night (bridezilla, etc.) and what kept going through my mind was this... I want a better explanation of how Buddy handled the total redo of a cake that was done according to contract. I believe the MOB offered to pay for a new cake but did she? I know he said she was a good customer (she must frequent Carlo's?) so is that why he caved so easily? It didn't really look like Buddy did much of the redo- personally - except to supervise. OK - perk of being the star/management. Maybe there was a shot of him quilting the fondant. Personally, without an explanation, it sends a bad message. You don't have to look any further than recent buyer's remorse threads here on CC over the last month. CC members are learning the importance of a contract and how it protects the baker and client but the rest of the mass demographic of this show needs to understand this is not a standard business practice and contrary to today's mindset, contracts are legally binding and to break one results in consequences. That episode just set us back folks. How many of you are able to pull a 5 tier + flowers out in 24 hours notice? And, wasn't the original cake only 4 tiers? Why the need for an extra tier? I agree with the post that requests all the antics be curbed and let the real cake artistry shine. Lastly, all that yelling on that show leaves me with a headache and less inclination to watch the next episode. Like I said, I'm certain the show is scripted but I'm equally certain that there are viewers who believe it to be true to life, totally real. There is something to be said from the phrase... the magic of TV.

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydid

I totally believe this show to be scripted with a grabber, all in the name of the almighty ratings and ad revenue game. That said, I saw this episode last night (bridezilla, etc.) and what kept going through my mind was this... I want a better explanation of how Buddy handled the total redo of a cake that was done according to contract. I believe the MOB offered to pay for a new cake but did she? I know he said she was a good customer (she must frequent Carlo's?) so is that why he caved so easily? It didn't really look like Buddy did much of the redo- personally - except to supervise. OK - perk of being the star/management. Maybe there was a shot of him quilting the fondant. Personally, without an explanation, it sends a bad message. You don't have to look any further than recent buyer's remorse threads here on CC over the last month. CC members are learning the importance of a contract and how it protects the baker and client but the rest of the mass demographic of this show needs to understand this is not a standard business practice and contrary to today's mindset, contracts are legally binding and to break one results in consequences. That episode just set us back folks.

I enjoy the show, but completely agree w/what you said. I just kept thinking, "Man if he does a new cake LOTS of CCer's would eat him alive!". Doesn't send a real good message to bakers who are maybe a little insecure & have a hard time w/backbone as it is. IMHO.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm
post #20 of 30

Totally off topic...Isabow, I LOVE your avatar! House rules!

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:00pm
post #21 of 30

I definatley agree that the show has to be scripted however that is what gets alot of people to watch the show as well, the drama of it all! I mean for us cake decorators of course we just want to see all of the actual decorating but for some people they just love the drama of it.
Anywho i love the show anyway.. and omg i loved the stripper cake!! the floor was amazing!

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:49pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

Totally off topic...Isabow, I LOVE your avatar! House rules!

Thanks! I <3 House too!! thumbs_up.gif

katcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katcakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #23 of 30

Just a few thought on the whole televised cake decorating

I would imagine that 98-99% of the time your cakes go smoothly, only 1-2% of the time is there drama. Well, that is what the layperson tunes in for: The Drama. We watch to learn or review or see something new, the average person that doesn't make cakes day after day needs something that will keep them interested hence the stupid antics that take up too much time. So I will deal with Buddy's antics, Duff's lack of work and Amazing Wedding Cakes drama to be able to see what I really enjoy and that is the cakes.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:59am
post #24 of 30

I really do like how Buddy explains what he's making & how he's doing it briefly. He's very likeable. icon_smile.gif

What I don't like, is all the screaming. It's just hard for me to watch those scenes. I have to hit the mute button... icon_redface.gif

I'm happy for him that he's got his own show though. He's amazing. thumbs_up.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:44am
post #25 of 30

I love the "Joysey" accent.

..."Now this cake is cove'd in a smooth icing called fonDAWNT".....

icon_lol.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:24am
post #26 of 30

I otced they have all their cakes in the fridge.,...even the fondant ones before delivery....do you think he has a "sweating" issue with them?.....I always read here not to refrigerate fondant.

just a side note...I hope Buddy is reading because I think most of us want his show to be a hit and hope he will somehow heed our advice?...

my observation is that it totally mirrors Duff....I'm sure the producers are at fault...but now it's even come to a cake in the opening of the show with his likeness, and him standing in front of it with his arms crossed like a tough-guy. Hmmm......haven't I seen this somewhere before?
Buddy...you are extremely talented....don't let them copycat any other shows...you don't need to.

shadowcat1501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowcat1501 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:59am
post #27 of 30

I'm a newbie here and have to say, I watch every show on TV that even mentions the word "cake" in the title or the description. I also believe some of it is staged. And I agree with others that there probably wouldn't be as many viewers if not for all the "drama". As for the bridezilla on "Cake Boss", there is NO way I would have redone that cake!!! I wouldn't have even delivered the messed up one. I'm not trying to be mean here, but she'd have been a bride without a cake! I haven't really gotten into the cake business yet, but I hope when I do venture out I NEVER run into a client like that.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 9:25am
post #28 of 30

I saw the zombie cake part of an episode, i guess the ones who ordered the cake posted it on youtube. I didn't really see a lot of screaming and stuff and I like how they make cakes without styro and all edible stuff. but the guy, the main guy, he lacks charisma i think. when he does his "confessionals" i don't know what you call those, but when he does them it sounds so scripted and... doesn't feel natural. maybe more practice will help. but i like how they show you how they actually build the cakes.

i'd still watch ace of cakes over this. the people there are more likable.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:11pm
post #29 of 30

I actually prefer Cake Boss, even with having to mute the screaming. You can tell they all care about each other and they just feel more "genuine" and warm. (aside from the possible scripted parts).

I have nothing against Ace of Cakes, I just like how Buddy doesn't rely on PVC and inedible structures for the majority of his sculpted cakes. I also like how his bakers and designers actually have their hair tied back and his work area seems very sanitary. I can't watch food shows where people are touching their hair/face and then touching cake, among other things. I'd lose my license if I did that. icon_confused.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:39pm
post #30 of 30

I did not believe the show was staged. but then thought about it after the bridzilla cake episode. everything was somewhat believable but then I thought about it, and really, they baked, cooled, iced, covered in fondant, decorated the cake then made all the handmade flowers in one day? even with all the help, I can't seem to believe that they did this in one day.
your thoughts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%