How About A Thread To Discuss Brownies?

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm by cutthecake

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:42am
post #1 of 59

I love brownies. And I'd like to know more about making them. Do you prefer scratch or box mix?
Anyone try the Ghirardelli mix from Costco? They're great.

58 replies
moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #2 of 59

The very best recipe ever is from the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion Cookbook. They're called 'On the Fence' brownies. They're cakey and chewy and soooo easy to make. They take just one bowl. I make them all the time and they're really almost as easy as the box mix, but they taste amazing. I'd be interested to hear how people like the Ghirardelli mix because everything Ghirardelli makes is good!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #3 of 59

I love the Hershey's triple chocolate mix!! I doctor the heck out of it though. I sub melted butter for the oil and I add cocoa, bitersweet, semisweet & white chocolate chips, princess emulsion, Godiva chocolate liqueur, vanilla & espresso powder. I don't know why I don't just make them from scratch with all the stuff I add LOL!! They are soooo good though.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:04am
post #4 of 59

I found a great recipe in one of those cookbooks that are put out by church members (man, I get the best recipes from these books!). We call them our Triple Chocolate Brownie PLUS ... because it's 5 kinds of chocolate:
1) cocoa in the brownie
2) I add chocolate chips
3) I add some Hershey syrup
4) I cover the top with poured chocolate ganache made with Ghiradelli chocolate
5) Then I drizzle with stripes of white chocolate

One bite and it cures your PMS for a month! thumbs_up.gif

If I'm in a hurry, I like to use the Hershey Brownie Mix that I buy at Sam's club.

Remember that brownies don't have to be square. I baked some in my cupcake pan, dropped a big 'ole spoonful of cherry pie filling on top, then drizzled with melted white chocolate (pic in my photos). Black Forest Brownies!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:12am
post #5 of 59

[quote="indydebi"]

One bite and it cures your PMS for a month! thumbs_up.gif
quote] Laughing... icon_lol.gif You crack me! icon_biggrin.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:26am
post #6 of 59

For the Pillsbury box mix I add an extra egg and use milk instead of water. I put them in cupcake papers and make a choc ganach frosting. They are pretty popular.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 59

The King Arthur "The Best Fudge Brownie Recipe Ever" is awesome! I made it a couple of weeks ago, and we darn near died and went to heaven. Except I didn't use King Arthur flour, LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

mellee Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 59
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 59

mmmmm... yummmmm.... I so want brownies now!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 59

Always from scratch, and always with high quality chocolate, real butter... just top notch ingredients all-around. I'm PASSIONATE about brownies. They are one of my favorite things to eat. I CANNOT STAND cake-y brownies through. If I want cake, I'll eat cake. I want a dense, chewy, fudgy brownie that's smooth and practically melts in your mouth.

I have a few good recipes I can share when I get a chance, but I have one in particular--it's one of my signature recipes--that I don't share with ANYONE. These brownies make your eyes roll back in your head with delight they're so good... and so far they've made me quite a few new customers... these brownies will take me places! lol

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 59

I love brownies. I have always made them from scratch. I use the ghirardelli chocolate, too. I always add chocolate chips! They are so easy and most of the time you have all the ingredients on hand. Someone did just give me a brownie mix that has Andes mints in it. I am going to have to try that. I am going to try the King Arthur recipe. It looks yummy!!

indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

These brownies make your eyes roll back in your head with delight they're so good... and so far they've made me quite a few new customers... these brownies will take me places! lol

sounds like what I describe as a Mufasa recipe. You know that scene in The Lion King when the hyena (Whoopi Goldberg) says "the name Mufasa makes me shudder!" So the other hyena says "Mufasa". WHoopi-hyena shudders ... then says "Do it again!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #13 of 59

Mellee--thanks for posting the recipe. I don't have a decent scratch brownie recipe. When I have time I look forward to trying this icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

These brownies make your eyes roll back in your head with delight they're so good... and so far they've made me quite a few new customers... these brownies will take me places! lol

sounds like what I describe as a Mufasa recipe. You know that scene in The Lion King when the hyena (Whoopi Goldberg) says "the name Mufasa makes me shudder!" So the other hyena says "Mufasa". WHoopi-hyena shudders ... then says "Do it again!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

HAHAHA... I love it... and I love that scene!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 59
Quote:

Quote:

does it show how much of a Disney freak I am if I say I know exactly what scene you mean? icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #16 of 59

The Lion King is my (and my 16 year olds!) favorite Disney movie! We are the kind who WILL kinda dance thru the mall singing Lion King songs!!

(See what I mean? I posted on the Kerry Cake Challenge that as a kid, I was accused of being a little old lady, and as an old lady, I'm accused of being just a big kid! Here's a good example of why! I dance thru the mall singing Lion King songs! If you're easily embarrassed, stay 10 feet behind me! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #17 of 59

I use two brownie mixes. Mix up the first one and pour into glass baking dish, then lay 2 jumbo-size Symphony bars (the one with almonds and toffee bits) on top of the batter. Then I mix up the second batter and pour that over the top, then bake. Once baked and cut the candy bars remain ooey and gooey in the center. It totally freaking AWESOME!

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #18 of 59

I have a scratch recipe that has orange marmalade and a bit of cayenne pepper. It is so good! It's chocolatey and it has this kick at the end because of the pepper. I'm at work right now, but when I get home I will type it up and post it!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #19 of 59

Gotta HAVE brownies NOW!!!!!!
I love mine slightly under-baked. Keep the great recipes coming! I will try them all.

indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #20 of 59

I've heard of people putting cayenne pepper in brownies but I've never been brave enough to try it. It's really good?

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #21 of 59

I can't imagine adding pepper to my brownies.

mellee Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #22 of 59

Indydebi, I'm interested in your idea of baking brownies in cupcake pans! Can you tell me how long you bake them? Sounds like it would be sooooooo much easier than cutting them from a big old slab, and plus they would look more polished too. Also, embarrassing question, you put the cherry pie filling on after baking, right? Hee.

I also am totally into the idea of orange marmalade and cayenne in brownies! Mariela, I can't wait to see your recipe! icon_smile.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #23 of 59

I love brownies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I always bake em' in cupcake pans... with liners of course!
I have a very yummy creamcheese topping recipe for brownies I will share with you all when I get time to post it.... Oh and one of my favs is brookies.... brownies &chocolate chip cookies icon_biggrin.gif

mariela_ms Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #24 of 59

Here it is! Thank God I only work part time icon_wink.gif! I love this recipe. For those that are a little concern about the pepper, you can try it with a pinch of pepper, just in case it's too spicy. I think one time I put too much in and they had a spicy after taste. It didn't bother me, but for sure not a lot of people have heard of cayenne pepper in brownies! Hope you like!

This recipe is from the:

Better Homes & Gardens "The Ultimate Cookie Book" pg. 375

Marmalade-nut brownies

1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c butter, melted
3 eggs
1/2 c orange marmalade
1 tsp vanilla
1 c AP flour
3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 c semisweet or milk chocolate pieces
1/2 c chopped walnuts, toasted
1/2 tsp shortening

1. Preheat oven to 300 F. Line a 13x9x2 inch baking pan with foil extending the foil over the edges of pan. Grease foil; set aside. In a large bowl stir together sugar and melted butter. Sitr in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in marmalade and vanilla. Stir in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and cayenne pepper until well combined. Sitr in 1/2 cup of chocolate pieces and the nuts.
2. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake about 30 minutes or until center is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Use the foil to lift brownie from pan. Cut brownie into 36 pieces.
3. In a small saucepan heat and stir the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate pieces and shortening over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly. Drizzle chocolate mixture over brownies. Chill until chocolate is set.

mellee Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:00pm
post #25 of 59

Mariela, that looks awesome! I will have to try it. I love orange and chocolate together, and anything with a spicy twang is OK in my book!

Cookiez says that she uses cupcake pans for brownies too. Why did I never think of that?? It would just make things so much easier! Cookiez, how much do you "glop" into the the cupcake liner? Roughly how long do they take to bake? Thanks!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:58pm
post #26 of 59

mariela_ms that seems like a yummy combo! It's just a 1/4 tsp. cayenne, plus the marlalade, can you even taste the spice or does it just enhance the overall flavor (like espresso powder in chocolate cake does)?

mariela_ms Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #27 of 59

rezzgirl- you can taste it! when you bite into them, all you taste is the chocolately goodness, but you will find a spicy kick at the end. You guys made me want to do them now.... lol .

indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:43am
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

Indydebi, I'm interested in your idea of baking brownies in cupcake pans! Can you tell me how long you bake them? Sounds like it would be sooooooo much easier than cutting them from a big old slab, and plus they would look more polished too. Also, embarrassing question, you put the cherry pie filling on after baking, right? Hee.

I also am totally into the idea of orange marmalade and cayenne in brownies! Mariela, I can't wait to see your recipe! icon_smile.gif

No idea. I never use a timer and I bake all cake products at 275 (commercial convection oven) and bake all cookies at 300. SOme take longer than others. I bake 'em "until they're done". (Drives my daughter crazy). But having one set temperature for all items eliminates the problem of having a too hot or not-hot-enough oven all the time.

Yes, cherry pie filling on them after they cool. I use the Texas SIze cupcake papers and I make sure not to overfill .... you need that gap between the top of the brownie and the top of the wrapper to have room for the pie filling.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #29 of 59
Quote:

I bake 'em "until they're done". (Drives my daughter crazy). .

Whenever I ask someone in my family to take something out of the oven "when it's done", they always ask how they'll know. I tell them if it looks like something they would eat, it's ready.

indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #30 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Quote:

I bake 'em "until they're done". (Drives my daughter crazy). .

Whenever I ask someone in my family to take something out of the oven "when it's done", they always ask how they'll know. I tell them if it looks like something they would eat, it's ready.

Popcorn is the one that kills me. THere's a whole generation that can't figure out how to pop microwave popcorn without knowing EXACTLY how many minutes and SECONDS to set the timer!! Holy freakin' cow, what is wrong with your ears? (btw, I used to work in a theater concession stand in my teen years .... back when they actually popped corn in the theater ... and it's done when you can count to 3 between pops).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%