For Those Who Stick Wires In Cakes

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 25 Jan 2019 , 5:11pm by SandraSmiley

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 2:41am
post #211 of 289

There are flowers that you do need to use wire though. I just made some (baby breath) so what I did was wrap the wire's with floral tape, and since that's sticky...tightly wrapped that with cling wrap. I then plan on inserting it into a straw before inserting it into the cake.

evesa1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesa1129 Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 8:11pm
post #212 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

I swear, there is no wonder why there is so much cancer and other illness in the world. It seems like they stick the most toxic chemicals in things they really shouldnt. I had just received an email from a friend warning not to use the swifter wetjet if you have animals or pets because it contains antifreeze! That means if your baby is crawling on what you think is your clean floor, or your dog walks across the floor, then cleans his paws or you know babys put everything in their mouth. And voila, they can get poisoned. Its just sad that simple things in life have to be be thought twice before using.
Ive always been a drinking straw advocate, but waiting to hear what kind of toxic plastic they use to make those next!
Sad!

I couldn't agree more!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 9:19pm
post #213 of 289

[quote="evesa1129"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

I swear, there is no wonder why there is so much cancer and other illness in the world. It seems like they stick the most toxic chemicals in things they really shouldnt. I had just received an email from a friend warning not to use the swifter wetjet if you have animals or pets because it contains antifreeze! That means if your baby is crawling on what you think is your clean floor, or your dog walks across the floor, then cleans his paws or you know babys put everything in their mouth. And voila, they can get poisoned. Its just sad that simple things in life have to be be thought twice before using.
Ive always been a drinking straw advocate, but waiting to hear what kind of toxic plastic they use to make those next!
Sad!

Not true. http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

sweettooth7497 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth7497 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 11:17pm
post #214 of 289

Ok, after 6 pages I gave up looking for what I wanted to know. LOL I understand about using straws in the cake for the wires, but I'm sure my customers are going to want to eat the decoration on the end of the wire. Any ideas on how to make that safe? Or is it just wasted?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 1:38am
post #215 of 289

You need to let them know that they are not edible due to the fact that they are in direct contact with the wires. Though I have had many friends who shrug and go ahead and eat them anyway (always the guys, of course). Not sure what the customers do once the cake is in their possession.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 1:57pm
post #216 of 289

i think i posted this once before but I will place it here (for those who have asked me). at one time i had used the floral wire and then I read this post.. here is the lastest update on my wire use. ..

I stick my wires directly into my cakes 90% of the time, because I buy stainless steel food safe wire. It can be purchased in rods or on spools and in many different gauges. It is the wire used in orthodontics, surgery, baking and food industry. The manufactures have the food grade certification. I dont know if the websites will show up here, so go to your browser and type in "food grade safe wire" it will bring up a variety of sites and you can choose which company you want to use. i suggest looking for that certifcation notice. I prefer a company that doesnt have a minimum order and offers spools in a variety of guages. One company I came across offered it in a variety of colors, it was a thinner grade used for braces but can hold small delicate flowers. I hope this answers all the questions that have been asked of me.

Unless it is a certified food safe wire, I strongly suggest staws or coffee stirs. It would be bad to poison our family and friends (or customers). LOL

happy baking to all. icon_smile.gif

Seashell48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seashell48 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:34am
post #217 of 289

No reason to panic, people remove the flower sprays before they eat the cake! I dont think it leakes any chemical into the cake.
In general I use Wilton spiks, but if by any chance I run out i usually make a little cone made of foil an wrap it around the end of the spays wire so it will not be inserted directly on the cake.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 10:22pm
post #218 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

i think i posted this once before but I will place it here (for those who have asked me). at one time i had used the floral wire and then I read this post.. here is the lastest update on my wire use. ..

I stick my wires directly into my cakes 90% of the time, because I buy stainless steel food safe wire. It can be purchased in rods or on spools and in many different gauges. It is the wire used in orthodontics, surgery, baking and food industry. The manufactures have the food grade certification. I dont know if the websites will show up here, so go to your browser and type in "food grade safe wire" it will bring up a variety of sites and you can choose which company you want to use. i suggest looking for that certifcation notice. I prefer a company that doesnt have a minimum order and offers spools in a variety of guages. One company I came across offered it in a variety of colors, it was a thinner grade used for braces but can hold small delicate flowers. I hope this answers all the questions that have been asked of me.

Unless it is a certified food safe wire, I strongly suggest staws or coffee stirs. It would be bad to poison our family and friends (or customers). LOL

happy baking to all. icon_smile.gif

Awesome information!

Are you comfortable sharing the name of the company from whom you ordered? When Googling "food grade safe wire" all that comes up are links to forum discussions of cake decorators asking about food safe wire. icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 5:31pm
post #219 of 289

I wouldn't guarantee anything, but (as I've mentioned elsewhere), I should think that the stainless steel skewers that come in a turkey lacing kit (M.E. Heuck seems to be the biggest manufacturer) would be food-safe (given that they're normally in contact with meat, in a hot oven, for well over an hour), and the same can probably be said of potato nails.

Cakepro Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 5:47pm
post #220 of 289

Unfortunately, Tessa never responded to this thread or to my PM. I hope everything is okay with her. I'd really like to find out who supplies her with food-grade stainless wire so I could order it too.

Not quite sure how turkey skewers or potato nails could be used in cake, but I would hope they would be food-safe too. LOL

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 6:34pm
post #223 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

SPAGHETTI!!!
You can buy pasta called Bucatini which is a spaghetti with a hole down the middle. I use #6 but it comes smaller and larger. The #6 is perfect for a #22 gauge wire or thinner (the larger the wire number the smaller the size). I also use it to build my fondant roses on, it is very strong because of the size and completely edible in case someone bites it. thumbs_up.gif

This is a great idea. At Greenfiield Village in Dearborn, MI they use something similar for staws in their restaurants because back in the day, plastic straws didn't exist, right? My kids think this is hilarious to drink from a noodle! icon_smile.gif

ps google orthodotic/ or dental wire and there are companies that show up. I have no idea what expense it is, though.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes by peeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes by peeps Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 10:39pm
post #226 of 289

That is gross....thank you for heads up and idea...I have not tried wires yet, but was looking at Duff's wires the other day, I assume those are food safe? Do you cover those also?

DreamConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamConfections Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 2:59am
post #227 of 289

Good tips, thanks!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 5:41am
post #228 of 289

Dunno if I'd be inclined to assume anything here. On his Food Network show, I've seen Duff Goldman do more than a few things I wouldn't classify as "Good Eats."

chocolatefudgecakefan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatefudgecakefan Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 11:48am
post #229 of 289

I have tried the straws, but ended up reverting to the good old posy picks, as they are ready made, already have the bottom and so cheap. I got my last lot from Lindy's Cakes and they are available in 2 sizes at Lindys - http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/shop/search.php?mode=search&page=2. They have 7mm ones and 9mm ones. They send their stuff all over the world.

Hope this helps someone.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 11:43am
post #230 of 289

Caljava (The makers of FondX) just posted this video online to demonstrate how to make a white flower cake. Watch closely. . . .she sticks wires in cakes!!!  OMG! Do you think Caljava doesn't know the dangers of wires or simply has a wanton disregard for the safety of people everywhere?  Someone should tell them before it's too late!

misschristinec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misschristinec Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 1:58pm
post #231 of 289

AAny new revelations on this thread? I'm about to get into gumpaste flowers (have only made bc flowers in the past. What about cloth covered wires? Or is that the same as floral wire?

Lillerips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lillerips Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 11:14pm
post #232 of 289

Great tips :) thanx!

Gingerbread_from_Germany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerbread_from_Germany Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 12:51pm
post #233 of 289

AAfter reading my way through the complete thread, I am yawning a little (ok, I have a really bad cold and don't suffer fools gladly at the best of times ), and shaking my head in something akin to awe/horror/amused dismay / disbelief....

I have decided to gather all the information together and condense it for you. Here we go:

Floral wires and craft wires being stuck in cake are a "no, no " Even if they are being sold in cake decorating shops - the owner either is in blissful ignorance to the dangers or doesn't give a fig about the consequences if he/she/it says they are food safe! Bad person! Boo! Hiss! Exception: the gold, silver etc wires... pls see previous numerous posts in this thread for further details.

And Just Because Famous Cake People Such As a Collette, a Duff, a Ron etc Do It, That Does Not Make It Right! Simples as the meerkat would say!

Use the flower/posy picks etc, that is what they were made for! Other alternatives are available as mentioned in numerous previos posts.... spagetti, straws etc... as long as you are sure these things are food safe. SURE not THINK.... big difference there. I always disinfect anything that comes into contact with my food, especially if it is to be inserted, with alcohol. Even if it does come straight out of a packet.... basic hygien common sense here folks...

And in the end, everybody is going to do their own thing anyway. Keep it legal, keep it clean, keep educated about important matters and keep it safe.

I will go now and take my runny nose and pounding head to bed. Have a lovely weekend everybody!:smile:

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 1:56pm
post #234 of 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro 

You do realize that everyone knows how to use Google, right? icon_confused.gif

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stainless+steel+food+safe+wires icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Feb 2013 , 6:17pm
post #235 of 289

AGreat synopsis, gingerbread!

prowlerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prowlerchick Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 10:41pm
post #236 of 289

Thanks for the info I knew not to place wires into cakes (kinda common sense really, well for some people!) but never thought of using straws that is a much cheaper option than buying flower spikes as usually have straws around the house! :)

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 5 Feb 2013 , 11:14pm
post #237 of 289

If you buy food safe grade stainless steel wire (The same metal used for your mixing bowl) you CAN stick it into the cake!  But it has to be the correct grade.

http://mightynest.com/blog/stainless-steel-all-about-food-grade-304-188-and-1810

Grade 304 wire can be purchased on amazon dot com in multiple thicknesses.  It's used mainly for fishing wire.  Makes sense....

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 3:44am
post #238 of 289

Dental wire (like for braces) is also food-safe.

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:18pm
post #239 of 289

great straw tip! thanks!

tootskds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootskds Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:29pm
post #240 of 289

what an awesome idea...Never thought of the straws...and was wondering when you mentioned it how to keep the cake from the straw...royal icing is a great tool...thanks for the tip... I have actually wrapped mine in wax paper or parchment paper before...this works well if you do it thick...but the straw will save so much more time...

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%