What Do You Use Ganache For?

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 24 May 2009 , 10:56pm by sugarshack

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #31 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinnane

I use ganache the ways the others listed, but I also use the cooled ganache to squirt into chocolate cupcakes before icing them. It doesn't take much to make people's eyes roll back in their heads (in a good way)!

Just want to add that I've used the same recipe for pouring and frosting - just different degrees of cooling and whipping - but I know there's room for improvement! I'm going to try Sharon's ratio next - thanks, Sharon!

I think you are doing it right. The 1:1 ratio can be poured or whipped to ice.

the 2:1 ratio will harden to a shell like thingy, not stay soft like icing. that's whay it is great under fondant!

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm
post #32 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamom

I have a question. When you use it as a filling for a cake or a cupcake can will it require refrigeration?

Thanks for the help!!!

I haven't refrigerated mine in the past, nor have I refrigerated cakes frosted with ganache - and they last several days without a problem. The sugar acts as a preservative. Think about candy made with cream, and how long it lasts - it's the same principle.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:59pm
post #33 of 85

Thank you, Sharon.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #34 of 85

Sharon, When you use the 2:1 ratio for a base under fondant how does is cut? Will it crack? I cant imagine it would set up REALLY hard does it? Also does the fondant pick up the chocolate flavor.. YUM... This sounds great I can't wait to give it a try.. Thanks for all your great input..icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm
post #35 of 85

Far be it from me to contradict anyone, esp Sharon...but... icon_redface.gif

A cup of my Ghiradelli chips from Sam's weighs only about 6 ounces.... I guess melted it would be 8 ounces???

I would think with ganache its more accurate to do your ratio using weight...since different sized chips would actually be a different amount (mini chips would probably be close to the 8 oz while larger more "gourmet" chocolates would fill up the cup faster and be fewer oz)

Okay sorry, back to the ganache cake show. thumbs_up.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:55pm
post #36 of 85

Thanks Dlinnane--this thread is inspiring and I just wanted to be sure that ganache didn't need refrigeration.

sugarshack Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm
post #37 of 85

hey Kitagirl,

I cannot see your whole post cuz that dang ad is covering part of the text, but I think I get what you are saying, and it is a valid point!

My only experience is with nestle small chips and I do it by cups to cups in the ratios I mentioned and it works for me.

but I think you bring up a good point we need to consider if we are using bigger chips or another brand!

We prob should weight the chips on a scale to be sure! I think I will start doing that.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:07pm
post #38 of 85

When measuring chocolate chips, I put them in a baggie and weigh them on a small food scale, by the ounce. icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:10pm
post #39 of 85

ok. I am a total MORON! I do not measure my chips by cups, I use the premeasured bags in 12 or 24 or 48 ounces. DUH! No coffee yet!

But I do measure the cream in cups.

OMG I need to have my head examined!

me tired.

cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #40 of 85

I have never put chocolate ganache under fondant but I've had a piece of wedding cake with the ganache under fondant. The ganache was soft and didn't crack when cut but the thing I didn't like was that the ganache stuck to the fondant so it makes you have to eat the fondant or try scraping it off if you don't want the fondant (to much work). Something to think about.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #41 of 85

classicake....that cake is a knock out!

And to answer the original question: truffles, icing, and fillings!!!!!!!!!!

Kitagrl Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:42pm
post #42 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

ok. I am a total MORON! I do not measure my chips by cups, I use the premeasured bags in 12 or 24 or 48 ounces. DUH! No coffee yet!

But I do measure the cream in cups.

OMG I need to have my head examined!

me tired.

Haha funny! Actually the last few times I"ve made ganache I've eyeballed it... icon_redface.gif I dump some chips in (the bags from Sam's are big, although they've shrunk them this past year, cheaters) and then estimate how much cream goes in it. So far so good, LOL, although it might be good to just measure!!! Actually the ratio thing is great, since I don't like having to follow a recipe just to mix two ingredients!

bcake1960 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #43 of 85

thanks cocobean.. icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #44 of 85

Bcake I cannot read all of your text either cuz of that dang ad haning there. Its is amzing how firm the 2:1 ratio gets on the outside to give you a very firm surfcae on which to apply the fondnat. but when you cut it, it is soft like the middle of a truffle. and yummy!

PS. I learned this ganache under fondnat thing from the Aussie cake boards.... not my idea nor invention!

Kitagrl Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:04pm
post #45 of 85

I've done the ganache under fondant thing twice and I LOVE it! Its so smooth and the fondant attaches no problem. Plus it makes the cake extra yummy!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #46 of 85

I used Sharon's 2:1 ratio for underneath this cake that I then poured a 1:1 ratio ganache over after the harder "shell" layer was chilled. I made two cakes like this and I found that there is a fine window of time for the 2:1 ratio for it being the perfect consistency for spreading/icing the cake. I used a bench scraper to smooth the shell and then chilled for a bit and then poured the warm thinner ganache over top. Here is a cut section so you can see what the inside looked like with the shell part. Only the top 1/4 inch or so is the poured ganache and the rest of that under it is the thicker shell ganache. It's VERY rich and think....yum! This is my Triple Chocolate Fudge cake with Peanut Butter Cup filling. (sorry about the crappy pics, hopefully you can see it well enough)
LL
LL

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #47 of 85

classiccake would you mind sharing your recipe that you used? Beautiful cake as well as everyone else who posted!

cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:54pm
post #48 of 85

Here is a Sarah Bernhardt choc glaze dripped cake with store bought choc truffle dipped strawberries.

cocobean Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:55pm
post #49 of 85

oops! Cake didn't post! icon_confused.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #50 of 85

I used the Planet Cake recipe which is basically 2:1 and it turned out really pretty. my grandma's cake

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1343434

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm
post #51 of 85

Very interesting!!

How do you smooth the 2:1 ratio ganache in order to apply fondant?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #52 of 85

I love to use ganache on everything!!

BCo Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #53 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Very interesting!!

You will be surprised - it's not hard at all. It goes on like buttercream and I just used a hot bench scraper and spatula to smooth it. I did have to work somewhat fast with it but I did two cakes back to back and by the second one I had it down. Actually I thought it was a little easier then buttercream, it's more stiff.

I wish I would have taken pictures of the process. I will try to remember next time. If you go to SugarShacks blog she made a Cherry cake on there and you can see the process she did to make it and one step was the ganache. That's where I got it from. You can see how smooth it is on there.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #54 of 85

bturpin that cake just made me go *drool* and i totally hate that I'm on a diet.

BCo Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #55 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

bturpin that cake just made me go *drool* and i totally hate that I'm on a diet.

Yea, well so am I and April has been the busiest month on a personal level with birthdays in my house and at work. I've held back as much as I could.....but that chocolate peanut butter cake gives me Come Hither looks every time I walk into my kitchen.........and my family doesn't help any when they've been eating a piece EVERY night for the past few days....I just take ONE bite of theirs, it's too dangerous for me to have a whole piece on my own plate! Ok - so maybe I've sneaked a finger into the ganache boarder once or twice when no one was looking... icon_lol.gif Just knowing it's sitting there at my house all lonely looking for someone to give it some attention just kills me!! LOL My brother is getting married the end of May so I HAVE to resist ALL urges......Only one more bday in my family to go before then...I hope I can hold out just a little longer............Diets SUCK! icon_cry.gif

bcake1960 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #56 of 85

Thanks Sharon, I cant wait to give it a try!

bcake1960 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #57 of 85

Thanks Sharon, I cant wait to give it a try!

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm
post #58 of 85

I use ganache to coat my stomach while I eat more....get the point icon_biggrin.gif
Just make it and eat it....
If you are making for a cake make extra so you can eat it while you work icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #59 of 85

Bturpin... That cake looks awesome and sounds so yummy!
cheftaz.. Love your pumpkin Albums!

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #60 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Very interesting!!

I use the Planet Cake method (did a course there, they are fantastic - www.planetcake.com.au) basically you use a very firm cake like a mud cake, place it on a masonite board the same size as the cake, fill each layer with ganache then apply a ton of ganache to the outside - the aim is to have ganache sticking out further than the board. Then using a metal bench scraper, warmed up in hot water, you use the edge of the board as a guide to take off the excess, leaving a very smooth, perfect cake! You have to go back over it a couple of time to smooth completely and fill any bits you missed etc It will firm up in a couple of hours to be solid enough to apply fondant but when you cut it it is like a chocolate truffle.

I use dark choc with a cocoa solid content of around 50% - Lindt or callebaut work well - and always measure by weight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%