Ok Very Angry...stop Payment Day Of Wedding

Business By dsevans Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm by indydebi

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:10pm
post #301 of 1040

This is the sort of thing that is the reason why I NEVER accept checks. CC or Cash only and all must be paid in full 2 weeks prior to event, no exceptions. It is harder to reverse a wedding cake charge on a CC than to stop pay on a check.

Congrats on standing up for yourself and withholding the cake from them. She doesn't even know the amount of trouble she is in. You more than likely will get your balance. I hope the check wasn't a joint account for the B & G or the groom can also be held accountable, even if he had no idea. Keep us all informed as to what the end result of all this is.

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:11pm
post #302 of 1040

Oh WOW I am just.... oh WOW.... Btw the cake is really beautiful!

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:11pm
post #303 of 1040

I would love to see the cake she passed up for Walmart cake!! Are you going to post photos!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:12pm
post #304 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Proudly display the WalMart cakes my **S! She's just trying to save face.

I think she meant that the venue rep said she, the venue rep, would "proudly" display the cakes in the walmart boxes ... kinda as a final jab to the bride/MOB.

OP,correct me if I'm wrong but that was my interpretation.

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm
post #305 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolesprinkle

I would love to see the cake she passed up for Walmart cake!! Are you going to post photos!

Nicole, look on page 20

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:15pm
post #306 of 1040

wow!!!! that's a gorgeous cake...she missed out! and sorry that you are stuck with it too...that sucks!

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #307 of 1040

Your cake is gorgeous, its sad the bride passed up a nicely decorated cake for walmart frozen then thraw out sheet cake.

Well now the Mother of the Groom knowns whats going on and I just could imagine her conversation with her son about the whole situation. Shame shame on the bride and mother of the bride. Sounds like the Mother of the groom has more sense than the others.

I must say again that cake is lovely, good job.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #308 of 1040

If my math is correct, she had already paid a 50% deposit on the $1100, so she'd already paid $550, right? She still owes $550, and that is what she stopped payment on. So because her little fraudulent plan backfired on her, she ends up losing the original $550 plus she has to shell out another $250 for Walmart sheet cakes. I'm laughing my butt off that for a grand total of $800, she gets Walmart sheet cakes in their boxes at her fancy shmancy wedding when if she'd just paid the OP in full (which would be only $300 more that what she's ended up paying), she'd have had her gorgeous, beautiful, showpiece wedding cake. Oh my, I hope those nasty Walmart cakes are worth $800!! Little twit is totally getting what she deserves!

I soooooo hope the bank prosecutes and she is scared to death and can't even relax on her honeymoon because she's too worried about the situation she's created for herself and what she has to face when she gets back.

Karma's a lovely little b!tch isn't she! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #309 of 1040

Dsevens just want to say that you are my hero today. You handled the whole situation so well. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with these people while trying to do another cake on top of it. You cake is beautiful, and the flowers amazing. I hope that you get what you are owed and 7 times that for your trouble. This is why wedding cakes scare me so much! icon_eek.gif

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #310 of 1040

icon_eek.gif What an absolutly gorgeous cake! I can't believe they Bridezilla and Momzilla thought $1100 for this work of art was too much.

I hope they remember just how wonderful their walmart cakes tasted (evil laugh) when they are trying to defend their actions in front of a judge. icon_evil.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #311 of 1040

Wow!! My family and I have been reading this all day. We have been running the gammet on emotions about this topic! Your cake was a beautiful thing to see!! Love your bank! I can't even imagine going through this myself. This is what has kept me from opening a business. I can be a little hot tempered when it comes to time and money. I think you handled this wonderfully, just sorry you hd to handle this at ll. People can be so deceitful. I had to tell someone off about a cake just the other day. I am so proud of you for sticking to your guns with this! Pat yourself on the back, thank the bank and venue reps, and keep your head up. She is the one who looks like an idiot in the end!! BTW, we are all shouting "Heck nooooooooo, don't let them use your dummy cake!!!!!!!!!!!"

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #312 of 1040

i Thought.. the partial payment was the check that was stopped payment.. so they would owe in actuallity the entire balance now.. (not counting the court fees etc)

i may be wrong though. its so easy to get things mixed up on a thread this long lol

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
post #313 of 1040

Your cake is amazing and so very beautiful!

I can't believe the bride and the MOB....I'm speechless!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #314 of 1040

Gorgeous cake, lady! She didn't deserve a bit of it. I hate that you lost out on your time and talent but you know what, you came out the victor with the most riches on this one. This was like some cake underground railroad system in the works!

Wedding cake: $1100...$550 if you're a thieving fool
Salon Makeovers: $550
Wedding with 350 guests: $10,000
Having the police arrest you at your wedding reception and spending your honeymoon in the clink: Priceless

This is the Thread of the Year. BIG score for the home team.

AND HIP HIP HOORAY for the bank! She spent $800 for nothing. Just another 300 would've kept her out of court, saved her from having a record (unless she has one already!) and the humiliation. I hope it was worth it for her.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #315 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I'm laughing my butt off that for a grand total of $800, she gets Walmart sheet cakes in their boxes at her fancy shmancy wedding .......Karma's a lovely little b!tch isn't she! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif But wait!! Your numbers are wrong!! It's even better than this!!!!

$550 original down payment.
$550 she'll still have to pay for the stop-payment check.
$250 for walmart cakes
-------
$1350 paid for walmart sheet cakes!!!!! And that doesn't count any court costs, fines, etc. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

There are not enough little laughy-face icons for me on this one!!!

And yeah .... Karma is a very demanding mistress!!!

Cake .... $1350
spending honeymoon worrying about going to jail .... priceless!!

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:29pm
post #316 of 1040

My husband has been working in the yard all day, and I've been running back and forth to give him updates. You are my hero, desevans. I'll be thinking of you and how professionally you handled the situation if I'm ever caught like that. icon_smile.gif

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #317 of 1040

I am curious how did get her as a customer, was she referrred to you by family or friend?

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm
post #318 of 1040

Dsevens,

Awesome cake!!! I can't believe that the bride and MOB did that to you. I feel sorry for them because the cake really looks great. Oh well, her loss your gain.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:37pm
post #319 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsevans

and the bank is great, I knwo about 90% of the employess that work for that particular branch ( which is the main one) and so i typically at least once a month take them baskets of cookies and cupcakes and homemade bread, I do alot of business with them also though they get cookies and stuff for all of their"open house" events....

And it paid off!! The best PR you could have done, because look what you got in return ..... they returned the favor by calling you asap!!!

Next time you're in there, please tell them that I think they're all awesome (and I bet I dont' stand alone with that comment!) thumbs_up.gif

I agree -- and would take one of the large tiers into the bank with small dessert plates, napkins and forks - with a stack of business cards - so they can share a treat with all their patrons. And if anyone asks, they can tell what happened (don't need to mention names). Sympathy business, anyone???? icon_lol.gif

(Any way you might be able to use the flowers later? Ugh!!! I just hate to see that go to waste!)

icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm
post #320 of 1040

I only have a few things to say.

1. Your cake is so beautiful, I'm glad the church is getting it because she wouldn't deserve even the cake board it's on.

2. You did the right thing.

3. Take this crazy lady to Judge Judy and make an example out of her !!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm
post #321 of 1040

Bad guys get burned... icon_twisted.gif

Good guys get vindicated... thumbs_up.gif

Bride gets a $1350 Walmart sheet cake for her wedding (complete with Walmart box)... icon_twisted.gif

... And so goes the Cakes of Our Lives ... icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm
post #322 of 1040
Quote:

Quote:

I'm laughing my butt off that for a grand total of $800, she gets Walmart sheet cakes in their boxes at her fancy shmancy wedding .......Karma's a lovely little b!tch isn't she! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif But wait!! Your numbers are wrong!! It's even better than this!!!!

$550 original down payment.
$550 she'll still have to pay for the stop-payment check.
$250 for walmart cakes
-------
$1350 paid for walmart sheet cakes!!!!! And that doesn't count any court costs, fines, etc. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Cake .... $1350

do you think this is fitting?

carmenid Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:47pm
post #323 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Bad guys get burned... icon_twisted.gif

Good guys get vindicated... thumbs_up.gif

Bride gets a $1350 Walmart sheet cake for her wedding (complete with Walmart box)... icon_twisted.gif

... And so goes the Cakes of Our Lives ... icon_biggrin.gif

LOL!

carmenid Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm
post #324 of 1040

it's actually $1,390...you forgot the $30 dollar fee for the stop payment! ...ha!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #325 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

i Thought.. the partial payment was the check that was stopped payment.. so they would owe in actuallity the entire balance now.. (not counting the court fees etc)

i may be wrong though. its so easy to get things mixed up on a thread this long lol

That's the reason she okay'd getting the 2nd check this past Monday because the 1st one had cleared no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsevans

Okay so I have this massive six tier cake that is for a wedding TONIGHT.

Bride emails last night just checking in re-affirming delivery time and everything.....email her back, everything is great will be putting finishing touches on cake in the am , cake will be delivered and set up at 4:30pm ( wedd starts at 6pm). Basically confirming everything in our contract.

Okay so this may have benn stupid of me but I let them make the final payment on monday because they were waiting on their tax return to come through ( didnt think it was a big deal, their original check went through and they bank at the same bank so its not like i have to wait for the check to go through)

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:53pm
post #326 of 1040

Wow - I'm glad things are working out. I can't believe she didn't think the cake was worth $1100 its beautiful!!!

I think you had all of CC glued to their computers today - I know I have had to check back frequently.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm
post #327 of 1040

Wow! I've spent an hour on the couch reading. Major kudos to the OP - you rock. Can I borrow your backbone if I ever need it???

Now that I've read 22 pages, I'm going to go make my easter cake.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #328 of 1040

Whew, finally got through reading all 22pgs...WOW!!! icon_eek.gif
I'm sooo sorry this happened to you. Who needs this kind of stress, especially on a holiday. It is just horrible how they tried to stiff you out of the money you surely deserved. Your cake is absolutely beautiful. I can only imagine how angry i would be if had put in all that work and this was the end result. I surely hope she will pay dearly for this. It's wrong on soooo many levels. I can't imagine all this added craziness makes for a happy wedding day..that bride must be shitting buckets and rightfully so.
You handled this all very professionally. This is a classic example of how important cake contracts are and how important it is to get payment waaay in advance. I know i've learnt a very valuable lesson in this thread. I'm just sorry it has to be you teaching it. Both my husband and i feel for you. This would be a perfect night for a tall glass of wine and some chocolate don't ya think? thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif
Hugs,
suzanne

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #329 of 1040

I'm absolutely floored at this whole thing -- I just read every page! Good for you for sticking to your guns and not giving them any cake! I hope it all works out for you in the end! Sounds like it will. Kudos to the bank -- yes, take them some cake!

My Mom works at a Michaels in the custom flowers section, and I hear stories from her all the time about people coming in after the event and complaining about how the color or something else was wrong and totally ruined the event. And, unbelievably, they usually end up getting a huge discount credited back to them. It's a total scam that apparently everybody knows now and uses all the time. And this is just so much worse than that! I'm just floored.

So sorry you had to try to keep working today while dealing with all of this at the same time. Reminds me why I'm scared to death and will probably never make cakes as a business! Oh - and that cake was gorgeous!

Bless you.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:00am
post #330 of 1040

[quote="xstitcher"]

Quote:

Quote:

Cake .... $1350

do you think this is fitting?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%