Ok Very Angry...stop Payment Day Of Wedding

Business By dsevans Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm by indydebi

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #241 of 1040

What gets me so mad about the situation is that she was going to let you give her the cake KNOWING she stopped the payment and hoping her stopped payment wasn't going to be noticed until well after the wedding.

Unfortunately, I don't think she can AFFORD Hostess. Maybe the Little Debbie cakes that are 6-8 for a dollar?

I swear I could spit fire right now!

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #242 of 1040

Can anyone say "walmart to the rescue"

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #243 of 1040

Yes, please call the venue and tell them to lock the dummy display cake in a closet--quickly!

She has no right to get photos with ANY decent looking cake, especially one that you put time and effort into!

Rae

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:41pm
post #244 of 1040

Okay, I have to go out with friends now. BUT, I DEFINITELY want an update on this at some point! Will the venue lady let you know what happened? At least SHE has a grip! Like others have said.....I think this has "premeditation" written all over it.

NO CAKE FOR THEM!!!

Beth in KY

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm
post #245 of 1040

Hubby just got home and I MADE him sit down so I could share this story! The conversation with the MOB just floored him! He said he would have told mom, in response to the "How DARE you .....!", he would have told her "Did you realize that your daughter has committed a crime?"

NIce way to spend your honeymoon ... trying to defend yourself in court.

I wouldn't think twice about it! Straight to the DA/Prosecutor in your county first thing Monday!!! Looks like this Little Girl learned from her Momma .... teach them the old "there are repercussions for your actions" rule! thumbs_up.gif

We are all so proud of you!! One of those cakes should go to your friend at the bank who saved you a lot of grief!!! Compliments to your bank for great customer service and looking out for their customers!!! It's nice to see you're not just "a number" with that bank! thumbs_up.gif

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #246 of 1040

This angers me on so many levels. As a former bride, I know how time consuming it is to make a wedding cake. I wanted Cornelli lace on my cake. We had a cake large enough for 150. My husband and I were MORE than happy to pay for the cake. Our cake was delicious, beautiful and worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!
As a fledgling baker I understand the time that it takes to make those types of cake. Not to mention the pressure you are under to make that cake both perfect and special for some strangers special day. My family always call me to bake for them, because they know that it feeds my addiction icon_smile.gif I get to practice something that I love and they get a cake for the price of the ingredients. It's a win win for both parties. This seriously makes me think twice about taking this to a professional level. I just cannot imagine being that deceitful. I am a strong believer in Karma. She will definitely get what she deserves. Kudos to you for responding to the MOB in such a classy fashion. My family always refers to me as "The Warrior". If it was me, the MOB would probably have been wearing part of that cake after she made those nasty comments.

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:48pm
post #247 of 1040

Ohh, well said indydebi!! Something has to go to the bank employee!!! If not for her, we wouldn't have been glued to our computers all day thinking up delicious revenge for you! thumbs_up.gif

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:48pm
post #248 of 1040

Wow! Definitely take leagal action! If she thought the cake was too expensive now, she must of thought this scam up back when she ordered it! Talk about premeditation!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #249 of 1040

This whole thing just blows my mind! I want to drive down to Arkansa, find this little witch, and give her a piece of my mind right in front of all her guests!

Even though thank goodness the OP had her friend that notified her beforehand of the stop payment, say the cake had been delivered and she hadn't found out about the stop payment until Monday or later next week. Wouldn't she still have grouds to sue or take to court regardless of if she had found out in time or not?

Stories like these make me so nervous about starting my own business, which is what I'm in the process of doing right now.

OP you rock for stiking to you guns. I sooooo hope these people either call you begging on their hands and knees before the reception or I hope that whatever they find to fill the place of the cake tastes horrible and the bride has crappy wedding pictures the rest of her life to look at. I'd love it if the only picture she had of cutting her "wedding cake" was her and groom both biting on a Twinkie!

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #250 of 1040

I can't help but compare this MOB's attitude and thought process to another thread I read on here a couple days ago about a woman who ordered a cake then after the party called the baker and said the cake was inedible (although there was none left) and demanded her money back a then the baker was told later that the woman was bagging on how to get a free cake. This BTB and MOB make me SICK!!!!! Also I am very mad that your dummy is going to be in her pics! I bet they won't tell everyone that it is a dummy and try to pass off the Walmart cake as yours.

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #251 of 1040

again i say kudos to the OP, the real crime hear is the fact that your blood sweat and now tears are wasted on that little thing and her mother. I think you should take some to the venue site, the bank person, and even maybe some to the salon, they had to watch the catfight go down. In all cases, not only are you paying it forward, you will gain business for your class, and civalry. I also agree with ev1 to please, please, please, post a pic of this cake. As we all learn and seath over this with you, there could be some satisfaction that hundreds (more than 350) will be able to see it and admire it for all your efforts, whether this all works out for your interests or not. Thank you, for showing that dignity still counts for something, even when your hit in the face with a blast furnace like the MOB. Hats off!!!

StellaBean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StellaBean Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:57pm
post #252 of 1040

Thank goodness I caught the tail end of this... my whole day would have been a bust waiting for updates. Although.. now my evening is a bust...

Just FYI for the bank stuff since it's hard to tell from the posts:

deposit check at YOUR bank into YOUR account: a stop payment will pull that money back out of your account. Same as a check that comes back as NSF.

CASH check at THEIR bank: done. nothing else can be done.. safest way to ensure you get your money.

CASH check at bank where you BOTH bank: do NOT use your account information. cash check against their account, then deposit the cash into your checking. Do not use your account information to cash the check, or the funds will be held against your account. so a stop payment would pull that money out of your account.

Definitely call your banks and ask them their policy on this. Each bank may have a different protocol.

I'd so totally call fraud. this smells very much like intentional.

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #253 of 1040

i have been reading on this all day...it is the darndest thing i have ever heard of, ever! that was just....RUDE!

i was so glad to see the OP stick to her guns - you go girl! i am just dying to know if they get the money at the last minute or go w/ the dummy cake/sheet cakes...

*passes around the popcorn*

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #254 of 1040

Let's all drive up (or down) and picket the wedding together icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:03pm
post #255 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Let's all drive up (or down) and picket the wedding together icon_smile.gif

I'm in...but I don't think I'd make it on time!

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:07pm
post #256 of 1040

Wow!

You handle the situation like a pro...

her in the other hand...must be having a "heck" of a wedding without a cake and knowing all the trouble that she has gotten herself into...

Hope she learned the lesson...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:08pm
post #257 of 1040

I haven't gotten thru the whole thread yet ( I will) but I wanna say make sure she knows you have STOPPED ALL WORK until payment is made. If it's too late in the day the cake will arrive half finished.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #258 of 1040

I haven't gotten thru the whole thread yet ( I will) but I wanna say make sure she knows you have STOPPED ALL WORK until payment is made. If it's too late in the day the cake will arrive half finished.

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:12pm
post #259 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenid

Wow!

You handle the situation like a pro...

her in the other hand...must be having a "heck" of a wedding without a cake and knowing all the trouble that she has gotten herself into...

Hope she learned the lesson...

what is sad is...well, several things...

the BTB hasn't learned anything, she will try to be the victim in all of this
her mom will be having 'vapors' at the wedding, upset about the day being ruined
i bet they will trash the OP for the lack of cake
i bet they will try to sue the OP for breech of contract

sad, so sad

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:13pm
post #260 of 1040

well hat off to you for sticking to your guns.. and i think you shold give a layer to your bank friend also hehe she did you the biggest favour of all.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:15pm
post #261 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebea

the BTB hasn't learned anything, she will try to be the victim in all of this
her mom will be having 'vapors' at the wedding, upset about the day being ruined

You betcha this is exactly what will happen. Drama Queens have to have their quota of Drama!

I dont' want to search 18 pages looking for it, but didn't the OP say the venue rep would make sure everyone knew why there was no cake? I got the impression the venue "had your back".

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:15pm
post #262 of 1040

Sorry have been fighting with cake #2 all day...fondant just doesn't want to work right...think half because of humidity and half because I have been aggitated but too busy to quit working< I did bring my friends cake home with me though to finsih since I am leaving early in the am to drive an hour with it and help finsih setting up for her wedding.......anyways to the continuing cake saga

venue rep decided it would not be appropriate to use my cake dummy for display, but did take brides $250 and buy a couple of wal mart sheet cakes ( which she says she will proudly display in walmart bakery box on the buffet...tacky i know but hilarious...

Groom's mother called to find out why the cake was late being delivered just about 20 minutes ago ( had it been paid for cake would have been delivered at 4:30...it's 5:10 )....I explained to her the situation....she was actually very nice...apparently no one had told her what was going on so she pulled my card and called.

She offered to pay the balance, and I told her that was very kind but there was no way I could load the cake and be there in time and after the huge ordeal from the bride and MOB I just honestly did not want to mess with it.... MOG said she understood, and she couldnt believe her son was marrying this kind of person. I also informed her that the bank had made the decision to prosecute this case as a fraud case after reviewing the contract therefore not only will bride have to pay me my money ( plus any fees incurred from it) but she will also be fined and most likely get jail time, though it could be suspended with community service.

I am glad the bank is stepping in, it will make less stress on me. but it's done and the venue rep is excited about eating cake with the other employees tomorrow and I am sure all the kids at church will be gaga over the cake!

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #263 of 1040

Oh and THANKS for all the support!!! It's been kinda a crummy day because I really worked hard on the cake, i took pics but of course I left my camera at the kitchen ( I dont actually have a store, just a commercial/lisc. kitchen I work from) so either I will have hubby stop by and pic it up or post pics tomorrow!

chicago1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chicago1 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #264 of 1040

Post a picture of the cake so we can see what she's missing!

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #265 of 1040

I love that bank!!!

She should have a great time at her reception! icon_twisted.gif

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm
post #266 of 1040

Hmm I wonder if the GROOM knows he's marring someone like this.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm
post #267 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsevans

I also informed her that the bank had made the decision to prosecute this case as a fraud case after reviewing the contract therefore not only will bride have to pay me my money ( plus any fees incurred from it) but she will also be fined and most likely get jail time, though it could be suspended with community service.

I am glad the bank is stepping in, it will make less stress on me. but it's done and the venue rep is excited about eating cake with the other employees tomorrow and I am sure all the kids at church will be gaga over the cake!

Woohoo!!! That bank does need a tier of that cake! icon_biggrin.gif I'm just hoping she told her son what's going on before the vows were exchanged -- it's not too late, man! Run! Run as fast as you can! She'll find someone else when she's doing time anyway. icon_lol.gif

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #268 of 1040

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall when MOG has that discussion with her son!?! This was totally a premeditated scam. MOG offered to pay up no problem ...if they really just didn't have the $$$, wouldn't you ask your parents or future in-laws for a loan until you opened all those envelopes? Should be a wonderful wedding! icon_smile.gif I hope the venue manager takes pictures!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:24pm
post #269 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I too am confused about the bank "recalling" back the money from the OP's account.

Even though the OP and Bride bank at the same bank, once the money is taken out of the bride's acct and placed in the OP's that transaction is complete. To me the bank is wrong to then turn around and remove the money from the OP's acct just because the bride issued a "stop payment".

Something fishy going on with this situation. I deal with about 100 personal checks a week at my Salon.........I've never seen this happen in all my years in business.

Regulation CC describes the time frames for which money has to be made available, but a bank absolutely has the ability to recall the funds up to the clearing date (noted under the same regulation).

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #270 of 1040

I'm so glad she's going to get her just desserts!

Proudly display the WalMart cakes my **S! She's just trying to save face. I wonder if the MOG will say anthing to the GTB? Glad she knows up front what kind of DIL she's getting.

Very happy to hear about the Bank situation too! Definitely drop some cake off for them too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%