Anybody Watching "last Cake Standing"?

Decorating By smitakasargod Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm by Alaskahsm

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:33am
post #1 of 89

I loved the cakes. I thought they were a step up from the usual food network challenege cakes. I found the winning cake absolutely amazing and also thought Bronwen Weber did a fabulous job. I thought Michelle Bommarito was decent but not not as good as she can be. What's with all the drama though? I wish they had not put all that reality tv twist on it and pitched the decorators against each other. These are cake artists and not "Big Brother" stars..
Can't wait for next week. Any predictions on who the final winner will be?

88 replies
FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #2 of 89

CAKE GIRLS ALL THE WAY...

GO MARY GO MARY GO!

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:50am
post #3 of 89

I really thought Bronwen would win. Her cake was amazing. I can't believe Michelle B made an all black cake. She is soooo talented, she could have done much better.

I agree with you about making the decorators each name who needed to go. That was really hard. I know so much of this is just TV, but I think some of those tears were real. I just love cake shows. I wsh they had more time to show more detail in how they carve and cover their cakes. One minute they are just crumb coating a layer and the next thing you know....there is is beautiful layer all covered and decorated. Can't wait til next week!!!

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:52am
post #4 of 89

Yes I watched it - it was great, but I agree Michelles cake was not up to the standards of the others. I always love James cakes with the flowers - even though Kerry Vincent always criticize's them. I loved Bronwen's cake also, I think either she or the lady who made the cakes with the paintings (not sure of her name) will win. I really do think it was unfair to make the decorators choose who would go.....I never like those reality shows so throwing that in did not add anything to it to me.
Karon

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:08am
post #5 of 89

Just wanted to let you gals know in case you want to join in that there are also 2 other threads started for this challenge:

This one's in the General Forum:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6329186#6329186

and this one's in the Lounge:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=625032&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=45

Personally, I thought Bronwen stuck to the theme more (telling her life story) then Mary did (it was more like the places she visited) and for that reason alone I thought she should have won. Both cakes were amazing though. I also thought James told his story well and his flowers were gorgeous. Loved Elisa's dress. Thought Courtney's cake was fantastic too with the topsy turvy that she does but didn't think she stuck to theme (it was more about things she liked then telling her life story) and although I love Michelle I don't think her story was easy to follow. Her cake was beautiful in it's own right but compared to the others I can see why she was eliminated (sucked the way it was done though). Just my 2 cents. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:16am
post #6 of 89

I agree.. loved the cake of Bronwen, I thought she would win. I didnt understand the shape of the cake girls design, I found it messy...Maybe I am too basic on my decor..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:23am
post #7 of 89

They are all so talented......Michelle does such beautiful cakes, I think the topic threw her and its a shame. it was a great cake, but next to the others even she said she was going home when she looked down the line. I love it when they let you see them actually working on something.

xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:23am
post #8 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I agree.. loved the cake of Bronwen, I thought she would win. I didnt understand the shape of the cake girls design, I found it messy...Maybe I am too basic on my decor..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I thought the same thing too Edna!

As for the cake girls design The shape was supposed to be an "M" to represent her name (Mary) and the paintings and such were places she's visited.

xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:23am
post #9 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

They are all so talented......Michelle does such beautiful cakes, I think the topic threw her and its a shame. it was a great cake, but next to the others even she said she was going home when she looked down the line. I love it when they let you see them actually working on something.

I heard the same thing too!

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:22am
post #10 of 89

This is going to be one of the best "Challenges" ever! I agree with a lot of you, I just knew Bronwen would win. Mary's design was good but I just didn't think she should have won. Bronwen had the concept down pat. Can't wait to see what next week brings.

Blueyslori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blueyslori Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:31am
post #11 of 89

Hi everyone!

I love the challange shows and this one is going to be spectacular! These cake artists are so talented! I loved Mary's cake, but I thought Bronwen's was more into the theme and was just an awesome gravity defying cake!

On to the next show...is it Sunday yet?? icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:51am
post #12 of 89

The only part of the show i didn't like is the drama at the end. I really didn't think that was necessary and i do think Michelle's cake was a basic design compared to the others. And the story was too abstract for it to be easily interpreted.

That being said, i see why these people are the best.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:15pm
post #13 of 89

The drama at the end was almost embarrassing-for them, I mean. I felt like I was watching "Survivor: Network Challenge" The least they could have done was let them write down the names instead of announcing them out loud on camera!
I really loved Bronwen's cake. It told the story and was fun! The girl that one (don't know her name) was good at painting, but it didn't look as much like cake as Bronwen's.
Can't wait until next week!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #14 of 89

Keeghan says and I quote,

"It's all about you. Tell one personalized story in cake. Any style you want. Anything goes. We need you to show the world why you're worthy of being here."

So that's the framework of the theme of that challenge.

Just wanted to frame that up.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:15am
post #15 of 89

I like the idea of the show. I think it is just plain mean to make them vote against each other. Michelle should have done a book of her life story since books are what she is realy known for. One last thing, If I ever see Ms. Vincent I will have to smash a cake in her face. This woman is the most pompus cow I have ever seen and I cannot stand those things she wears on her head. OK, I am over it heheh.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #16 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

... One last thing, If I ever see Ms. Vincent I will have to smash a cake in her face. This woman is the most pompus cow I have ever seen and I cannot stand those things she wears on her head. OK, I am over it heheh.

That's disrespectful, uncalled for and just plain wrong.

She's a cake hall of famer and wrote an incredible amazing cake book. She gets paid well to be on tv. Nobody's calling us to come be the judge on cake challenges.

She put the Oklahoma cake show on the map. If you win or even place there, you've freaking arrived.

She's incredibly accomplished and she gets an undeserved bum wrap by being a good judge. She gets edited too of course. It's a competition.

While I might not be a big fan of her head bands apparently it's working for her and if you saw my head of hair you'd know I have no room to talk there either.

She's a freaking legend.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:37am
post #17 of 89

I love all the challenges. I was sad to see Michelle go because I love her, but honestly her cake just wasn't anywhere near as exciting as all of the others. I really liked Mary's and Browen's. They were by far the best. Browen's was just SO cute!!

And I felt bad for all of the decorator's having to out someone. But Elisa got lucky! She was saved from having to pick someone. I bet everyone was wishing they were her at that moment.

Can't wait for next week's episode. (Heck, I'll be watching this episode again).

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:33am
post #18 of 89

I really liked Courtney's and Mary's because they both stepped outside of what was expected from the theme. I think they both thought like visual artists and not just pastry chefs.

Courtney's cake~ it was very fun, whimsical and I liked how she kept some mystery instead of illustrating her story so specifically. Besides, her cakes defy gravity! icon_eek.gif

Mary's cake ~ I'm not sure what people mean by it not being about Mary... she explained that it represented her life as a visual artist and cake artist. I think she approached the cake like a piece of fine art... less literal and I really liked that. She took major risks and I'm glad she won.

Michelle's cake was beautiful, even if no one immediately understood her meaning.

I generally hate "reality" TV, and I really hope Food Network isn't going in that direction. thumbsdown.gif To be honest, the only reality TV that could ever exist is if the camera was hidden and the people had no idea they were being taped (which is probably illegal icon_rolleyes.gif ). JMO

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:52am
post #19 of 89

I was horrified not only that they had to "vote people off" but that they had to DO IT OUT LOUD with all of them standing right there! That was totally unnecessary. And it creates a horrible animosity going forward. Imagine if they hadnt all voted for Michelle? I really didnt like that! (That last sentence sounded like Marie Barone LOL!!!!)

Anyway, Michelle's cake totally surprised me because I would never have seen her as a "black cake with a serpent" kinda gal - she always seems so bubbly and vivacious. It had a beautiful elegenace to it though.

Mary did explain that not having gone to culinary school, she sees herself more as an artist than a pastry chef and artistically, the places that influence her style the most are the 2 places she represented in her cake. So I think that's where she was going with that.

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:20am
post #20 of 89

I think I saw a ring with a snake on it on Michelle's finger, don't know if that's significant to why she put it on there or not. Maybe she just likes them. icon_smile.gif

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:34am
post #21 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

And I felt bad for all of the decorator's having to out someone. But Elisa got lucky! She was saved from having to pick someone. I bet everyone was wishing they were her at that moment.

I thought the exact same thing!! I'll bet she felt a big ol sigh of relief as well. I know I would have!!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:45am
post #22 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

... One last thing, If I ever see Ms. Vincent I will have to smash a cake in her face. This woman is the most pompus cow I have ever seen and I cannot stand those things she wears on her head. OK, I am over it heheh.

She's a cake hall of famer and wrote an incredible amazing cake book. She gets paid well to be on tv. Nobody's calling us to come be the judge on cake challenges.

She put the Oklahoma cake show on the map. If you win or even place there, you've freaking arrived.

She's incredibly accomplished and she gets an undeserved bum wrap by being a good judge. She gets edited too of course. It's a competition.

While I might not be a big fan of her head bands apparently it's working for her and if you saw my head of hair you'd know I have no room to talk there either.

She's a freaking legend.

I 100% agree K8.... she deserves all the respect she gets.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:48am
post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

I think I saw a ring with a snake on it on Michelle's finger, don't know if that's significant to why she put it on there or not. Maybe she just likes them. icon_smile.gif

she had said the significance was that her and her siblings all wore them growing up, I believe

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:59am
post #24 of 89

Hey did you all see what the next episodes are going to be about?

Last Cake Standing: Elopment Cakes
Part 2 of 4. The Five remaining competitors take a field trip to City Hall where they meet a couple who is getting married that very morning. Not only will the competitors stand as witnesses at the ceremony, they must create a wedding cake for the newlywed's reception party that night.

The FN website does not show the synopsis for eposide 3 or 4 so I found these on tv guide online:

Last Cake Standing: Extreme Superhero Cakes
Part 3 of 4. The four remaining competitors are paired up to create cakes based on original superheroes, and they must incorporate extreme elements, such as mechanics and fireworks. The losing team will compete in a sudden-death cake-off to secure a spot in the finals.

Last Cake Standing: Sweet 16 Sextuplets
Conclusion. The three finalists have 24 hours to make 5-foot-tall birthday cakes for a set of sextuplets who are turning 16. Then the winner of the $50,000 grand prize is announced.

For those who haven't seen the first one (there still doing re-runs) Here's the synopsis from FN's website:
Part 1 of 4:
In this first competition, it begins with six pastry chefs who think they have eight hours to showcase their skill and prove why they are the best of the best. Their task is to tell one story of their life in cake.

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:00am
post #25 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

Quote:

she had said the significance was that her and her siblings all wore them growing up, I believe

ahh, I must have missed that! I keep trying to ban the kids from the tv room during this show but they still keep interrupting. icon_smile.gif

luvsfreebies72 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:22am
post #26 of 89
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ahh, I must have missed that! I keep trying to ban the kids from the tv room during this show but they still keep interrupting. icon_smile.gif

And THAT'S why god invented the DVR! icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:23am
post #27 of 89
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And THAT'S why god invented the DVR! icon_lol.gif

I gotta get me one of those puppies!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm
post #28 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

She's a freaking legend.

I agree with this...I know she lookd tough in the show, but she os a very sweet and helpful woman in real life. Iam a big fan of her work.The fact that she is tough on the show and basically wanted to be portrait int the show like a tough cookie, just so people watch more, doesnt make her like that in real life.

Edna icon_smile.gif

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #29 of 89

Regarding Kerry Vincent ----
I think that Kerry got a much better edit on this show then she has on shows past. They showed her giving compliments to the different competitors and acknowledging their strengths. You could see by the reactions the competitors were giving that they considered this praise to be both surprising and meaningful - because it came from a reknown judge and perfectionist like Kerry.
I have no problem with her being tough on competitors - I think she is trying to get them to challenge themselves and produce the work she knows they are capable of turning out. Kind of like the team coach - comes down hard on short comings but recognizes and tries to bring out the "player's" hidden abilities.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:06pm
post #30 of 89

Reqarding Ms. Vincent- EVERYONE has thier own opinions and I am no exception. I think it is totally possible to give someone constructive "tough" feedback without making them feel the way she does. She has to realize that these people are not at her level where decorating is conserned and that you can help someone become better and still be nice so they don't cringe when they see you comming. I am glad most teachers in our schools are not like her. I am glad that she is not like this in "real life" it would be nice to see her be kind to the competitors. I watch EVERY show and I have never seen her give compliments. I am glad that she did on this show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%