Anybody Watching "last Cake Standing"?

Decorating By smitakasargod Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm by Alaskahsm

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:12pm
post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

I watch EVERY show and I have never seen her give compliments. I am glad that she did on this show.

I bet she does but they probably get edited for rating purposes. It's all about the drama don't you know (and not by her I'm talking FN).

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm
post #32 of 89

I have seen Kerry calming contestants down when they are starting to get frazzled, and getting them back on track.
I would love to learn from her, my favorite teachers were always the ones who were the toughest. Those are the ones who teach you the most, they simply will not let you crash and burn.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #33 of 89
Quote:

Reqarding Ms. Vincent- EVERYONE has thier own opinions and I am no exception. I think it is totally possible to give someone constructive "tough" feedback without making them feel the way she does. She has to realize that these people are not at her level where decorating is conserned and that you can help someone become better and still be nice so they don't cringe when they see you comming. I am glad most teachers in our schools are not like her. I am glad that she is not like this in "real life" it would be nice to see her be kind to the competitors. I watch EVERY show and I have never seen her give compliments. I am glad that she did on this show.

Your opinion aside, I believe these people ARE at her level........that's why they are on FN Challenges.........you don't see you and me on there, now do you??????????

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:18pm
post #34 of 89

Well, I don't hear them introduced as "Hall of fame sugar artists" This is what I mean by "at her level" I know these people are extremely good at what they do and I never claimed to be at her level or thiers for that matter. I wish you would all get past my opinion of her and stop going on and on about it. It is what it is my opinion. I have taught in many different areas and it is possible to be tough and nice at the same time. Enough said.

xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #35 of 89
Quote:

Well, I don't hear them introduced as "Hall of fame sugar artists" This is what I mean by "at her level" I know these people are extremely good at what they do and I never claimed to be at her level or thiers for that matter.

That's exactly what I was thinking and I knew that's what you meant by "at her level".

For anyone interested or just plain curious (I know I was) here's a link with all the members of the ICES Hal of Fame:

http://www.ices.org/education/ICES%20Hall%20of%20Fame%20Members%2008.pdf

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #36 of 89
Quote:

... One last thing, If I ever see Ms. Vincent I will have to smash a cake in her face. This woman is the most pompus cow I have ever seen and I cannot stand those things she wears on her head. OK, I am over it heheh.

Quote:

I wish you would all get past my opinion of her and stop going on and on about it. It is what it is my opinion. I have taught in many different areas and it is possible to be tough and nice at the same time. Enough said.

Well you need to practice that 'tough and nice' thing, especially the nice part.

Quote:

Reqarding Ms. Vincent- EVERYONE has thier own opinions and I am no exception. I think it is totally possible to give someone constructive "tough" feedback without making them feel the way she does. She has to realize that these people are not at her level where decorating is conserned and that you can help someone become better and still be nice so they don't cringe when they see you comming. I am glad most teachers in our schools are not like her. I am glad that she is not like this in "real life" it would be nice to see her be kind to the competitors. I watch EVERY show and I have never seen her give compliments. I am glad that she did on this show.

So she should follow your example huh.

It's generally an eight hour competition--we see less than an hour of the event. So lots of other things are said and done.

If I was Kerry, I woulda been hurt by what you said.

xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:29pm
post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

... One last thing, If I ever see Ms. Vincent I will have to smash a cake in her face. This woman is the most pompus cow I have ever seen and I cannot stand those things she wears on her head. OK, I am over it heheh.

Quote:

I wish you would all get past my opinion of her and stop going on and on about it. It is what it is my opinion. I have taught in many different areas and it is possible to be tough and nice at the same time. Enough said.

Well you need to practice that 'tough and nice' thing, especially the nice part.

Quote:

So she should follow your example huh.

It's generally an eight hour competition--we see less than an hour of the event. So lots of other things are said and done.

If I was Kerry, I woulda been hurt by what you said.

Holy smokes! I must have missed her 1st post. Here I was thinking she was defending Kerry! icon_redface.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm
post #38 of 89

Fod goodness sake, I don't think I have ever seen anything be so drawn out. I won't be responding to posts conserning Kerry anymorre. You keep your opinions and I will keep mine.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #39 of 89
Quote:

Fod goodness sake, I don't think I have ever seen anything be so drawn out. I won't be responding to posts conserning Kerry anymorre. You keep your opinions and I will keep mine.

In lieu of an apology that'd be best.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:33pm
post #40 of 89

Which opinion though, the pompous cow, the smash the cake in her face, or the be ye kind, touchy feely one?

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #41 of 89

I thought that Bronwen Weber was going to win, her cake was great! has she ever won a challenge before? I have seen her in 3 so far and she has never won...the Disney Challenge, the Simpson's Movie Challenge and now this one.

I wish Elissa Strauss could step it up! I am such a big fan of her work.

Looking forward to the next show!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm
post #42 of 89

Please keep in mind that while Kerry Vincent is indeed an ICES Hall of Fame member, she is NOT, however, a Certified Master Sugar Artist, like some other people are. So there's actually another level of status, and some of the people who compete in the Challenges have that, and Kerry does not.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #43 of 89

Yes, Bronwen has won gold in the challenges, although she usually silvers. She won grand champion in the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show wedding cake division.
http://www.frostedart.com/Press3.htm

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #44 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Please keep in mind that while Kerry Vincent is indeed an ICES Hall of Fame member, she is NOT, however, a Certified Master Sugar Artist, like some other people are. So there's actually another level of status, and some of the people who compete in the Challenges have that, and Kerry does not.

OMG! icon_eek.gif ((( How many levels are there? ))) <---- the echo is coming from the bottom of the barrel, in the bowels of cake decorating hell... hoping one day to dig my way up far enough to see the sun. icon_redface.gif

This has been a fascinating journey (venturing into the sugar arts). I had no idea there were so many levels to this art. Kerry Vincent is the best I've ever seen. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #45 of 89
Quote:

Somehow I think she might not really need that. I mean she could go for anything she wants but have you seen her book?

xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:10pm
post #46 of 89
Quote:

Quote:

Somehow I think she might not really need that. I mean she could go for anything she wants but have you seen her book?

I didn't even realize she had a book until the other night. It's in my cart at amazon of all the books I want to get (I'm thinking I'm going to need to get a job to support my hobby icon_lol.gif )

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:18pm
post #47 of 89

Well if you'll allow me to display her design in advance of the arrival of your book

http://acmecakes.com/images/R00109792.JPG

That ^^^ is my version of her cake-- only hers is much more ornate. Fuller with stuff. (Our bride requested it to be scaled back)

And all credit to Kerry for such an incredible and unusual and unique design.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #48 of 89

I think Mary Maher does incredible cakes, but for THIS challenge I just didn't see a real coordinated design. The work itself was amazing, but I thought it was a little discombobulated in theory. I really thought Bronwen's cake did the best job of telling a story, then the cake James did.

Gotta gripe a bit here, so please indulge me. And I'm not hating on anyone. With that said, I really do wish Kerry would stop hounding James about his flower work. Some of these wonderful people have their own signature style or way of decorating that sets them apart and I think James does some of the most amazing flower work out there just like Joshua John and Jason - can't remember his last name - and their crazy awesome piping skills. Kerry was on Joshua's case in the Battle of the Brides challenge because of all his piping but that's what his bride wanted. Kerry's a very talented decorator in her own right but even she has a decorating style that sets her apart and I find her cakes are quintessentially Kerry because of her style. I would NEVER think to tell her to stop doing what she does best. I understand they want some variety and they want to see what "other" skills these people have, but don't knock them for doing what's made their cakes (and them, as decorators) so desirable.

xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #49 of 89
Quote:

Well if you'll allow me to display her design in advance of the arrival of your book

That ^^^ is my version of her cake-- only hers is much more ornate. Fuller with stuff. (Our bride requested it to be scaled back)

icon_eek.gif WOW icon_eek.gif That's one amazing cake Kate! I think you did her proud. I'm definitely looking forward to the book now, even if it is only to oogle at all the awesome designs!

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:30pm
post #50 of 89

I watched it and I think Bronwen's cake did the best job of telling a story.
To me Jame's flowers are awesome! Can't wait to see who's going to win but I think that Bronwen might be the winner.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:35pm
post #51 of 89

Thank you, Cross Stitcher, but dude you look through that book like the pictures are printed in another language or something.
You're just going, "Whaaaat???" icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #52 of 89
Quote:

Thank you, Cross Stitcher, but dude you look through that book like the pictures are printed in another language or something.

I can just picture me know....I'll just have to pretend that ummm, like ummmm, I'm a kid again and stare at the picsicon_lol.gif

Parm

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #53 of 89
Quote:

That's what I thought about Sylvia Weinstock's book. You just look at the photos with your mouth hanging open, drool dripping off your chin onto the pages.

Will have to go look for Kerry's book. Had the chance to take a class from her a year or so ago and didn't do it - wish now I had!

Nestley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nestley Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:12pm
post #54 of 89

I felt really bad for Michelle. Her cake was beautiful but plain compared to the others. Even though she didnt win this challenge, she still has great skills.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #55 of 89
Quote:

Folks, I think you have it wrong. I know for a fact Kerry has credentials in Australia and the United Kingdom. She is a Master Cake Designer.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #56 of 89
Quote:

You did awesome with her design... she would be proud!
Edna icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #57 of 89
Quote:

Excellent job! I have that book and I stare at this particular cake all the time ... wanting to make it and being scared to death to try it! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #58 of 89

ok, the show is not even over but I HAVE to say that glow in the dark cake was AWESOME!!

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:01am
post #59 of 89

Mary and Courtney deserved to win...I think their cake was fabulous!!!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #60 of 89

I was suprised to see Mary & Courtney win, they didn't do an "original" design - they just took the ones they made and put them together. Atleast Bronwen & James did something original. Oh well...onto next week's finale icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%