Anybody Watching "last Cake Standing"?

Decorating By smitakasargod Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm by Alaskahsm

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #61 of 89

All bets on Mary. She is fantastic. I liked they incorporated both of their designs together. Their cake was great!

Go Mary...yeeeaaahhhh!

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #62 of 89

why, why, WHY do we have to wait until NEXT WEEK to see the finale?!!!! I need to know NOW. icon_cry.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #63 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Please keep in mind that while Kerry Vincent is indeed an ICES Hall of Fame member, she is NOT, however, a Certified Master Sugar Artist, like some other people are. So there's actually another level of status, and some of the people who compete in the Challenges have that, and Kerry does not.

Folks, I think you have it wrong. I know for a fact Kerry has credentials in Australia and the United Kingdom. She is a Master Cake Designer.

Kerry is not a CMSA, the certification offered (for the first time in 200icon_cool.gif by ICES. She does, however, have many other credentials to her credit.

I believe that the only CMSA (of the 7 certified:Regina Bankston, Norman Davis, Barb Evans, Kelly Lance, Sharon Low, Kathy Scott, and Jo Ellen Simon) who has competed in FN Challenges since having received certification, is Norm Davis.

Rae

jmlawren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmlawren Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #64 of 89

I was really disappointed about Mary and Courtney winning. The design concept was really poor (the eco part of the idea seemed to be stolen from Weber), and the "teamwork" was atrocious. On another note, I've seen another side to Mary during this competition, as much as I've loved her work and creativity in previous competitions (outside the last cake standing), she's really shown a catty side that I can't say I enjoy watching. I know it's a competition, but these are your colleagues.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:39am
post #65 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlawren

I was really disappointed about Mary and Courtney winning. The design concept was really poor (the eco part of the idea seemed to be stolen from Weber), and the "teamwork" was atrocious. On another note, I've seen another side to Mary during this competition, as much as I've loved her work and creativity in previous competitions (outside the last cake standing), she's really shown a catty side that I can't say I enjoy watching. I know it's a competition, but these are your colleagues.

Maybe I missed that...I always think Mary comes off classy.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #66 of 89

I was VERY disappointed to see James go. He is very talented- I wish I could make flowers like him!! Courtney & Mary are very catty & extremely critical of the others. Bronwen is such a good sport & ALWAYS fun to watch. I really hope she winsicon_smile.gif

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:44am
post #67 of 89

I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if my question has already been answered. I just caught the end of the show and just realized my DVR was NOT recording the show. Oh well. My question is....what did they use for the glow in the dark effect?

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:46am
post #68 of 89
Quote:

I feel the same way. It is clear that Mary and Browen are not friends. Maybe they are twisting this around to make it look more that way than for real but they both said things about the other on the first challenge. Maybe they are both just very competitive and see each other as the real challenge standing in their way to win. But Mary did come off being more catty. I think she was laughing when James and Browen thought their super hero was going to spin wrong.

ktm00n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktm00n Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #69 of 89

Mary used tonic water, which has quinine (which causes it to glow in the dark under a black light). It looked like she mixed it with piping gel, so that it didn't run all over the place.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #70 of 89

Both cakes were fantastic. I was glad I did not have to pick the winner. I thought Bronwen and James' extreme techniques were more showy. I think what put Mary and Courtney over the top was the "glow-in-the-dark" technique that had never been done before. Talk about innovative! I have been around the cake world forever and had never heard of anything like that. Kerry even seemed impressed!!

Also, I think that Courtney and Mary included 2 very complicated figures-sculptures. Browen and James really only had one.

To get where they are now...of course they are all great. Cattiness...in much lesser competitive events I have seen far more cattiness. This is a LONG stressful competition with very creative and accomplished people. The difference is the cameras are rolling and editing...

24 hours next week...they all looked sick at the end...OH MY!!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:02am
post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

Quote:

I feel the same way. It is clear that Mary and Browen are not friends. Maybe they are twisting this around to make it look more that way than for real but they both said things about the other on the first challenge. Maybe they are both just very competitive and see each other as the real challenge standing in their way to win. But Mary did come off being more catty. I think she was laughing when James and Browen thought their super hero was going to spin wrong.

I have to agree with you both. I've seen a side of Mary that I'm not really crazy about, but then I've also heard a couple comments from Bronwen and I'm not sure if they were intended to be slams (the one about how GREAT the silhouettes were that Mary made for the last cake challenge and how her grandma would like them - ????) but there's definitely some major competition between the two.

Seems to me like the judges look at Mary as the golden child but Courtney's looking strong, too. Next week will definitely be interesting!

Now...on to watch Buddy Valastro!!! Yay!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:05am
post #72 of 89

i'm not familiar with this show...does comcast carry that show???
what day and time does it come on?? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Nickilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickilyn Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:10am
post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm00n

Mary used tonic water, which has quinine (which causes it to glow in the dark under a black light). It looked like she mixed it with piping gel, so that it didn't run all over the place.

This would have been great to know last year when I made my godson's cake--party was at the bowliing alley--they do the whole black light thing.

His eye would have bugged out with delight if his dalamtian cake had glowed in the dark. icon_biggrin.gif

Nickilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickilyn Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #74 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm00n

This would have been great to know last year when I made my godson's cake--party was at the bowliing alley--they do the whole black light thing.

His eyes would have bugged out with delight if his dalamtian cake had glowed in the dark. icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #75 of 89

This may be a tad off topic but as a hairstylist I just have to ask..............

*Didn't anyone notice that Kerry Vincent FINALLY got her haircut?*

She still had the foolish headband on, but it was cut angled over her ears and tapered in the back without that dang braid she usually wraps around................Maybe she's been reading these threads after all...... thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #76 of 89

I thought it was tapered in back for a long time because I always wondered why she wore a headband when she had hair shorter than me?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:15am
post #77 of 89

Man, I don't think I want to watch next week...

I think I'll just wait until someone tells me who won... A 400 - 500 pound, 7 foot tall cake!?
ImageImage

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I thought it was tapered in back for a long time because I always wondered why she wore a headband when she had hair shorter than me?

Really? So you think she just ditched the braid? The sides were definitely different, cut at an angle, maybe she just pins a fake braid on once in a while! hmmmmmmm, now I'm gonna study all the repeat episodes icon_rolleyes.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #79 of 89

NoahLili, any protein will glow in a black light. Peanut butter is used often at Halloween for interesting effects.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #80 of 89

GO BRONWEN GO BRONWEN!!!!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #81 of 89

i'm rooting for bronwe or mary! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

i hope those two go up against eachother. i think they are two of the best in the country!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

IcingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcingSugar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #82 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeGe_Cakes

Maybe I missed that...I always think Mary comes off classy.

Me too, FeGe_Cakes...I thought her comment about the other team's superhero flying backwards was more of a "there but for the grace of God go I" type remark than a nasty dig. Seems like the editors are really trying to do their best to play up the rivalry between Mary and Bronwen, so every little comment and sideways glance is being emphasized for full effect. I happen to love both their styles and always look forward to seeing what they'll come up with next.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #83 of 89

In my opinion Mary's firefly character was turning backwards. If I were her I would have put somthing in the girls hand even a textured ball of fondant so that she would have still looked like she was going to throw something.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #84 of 89

I was really suprised Bronwen and James didn't win. I thought they really worked well as a team and did an excellent job! What was the firefly's superhero ability..............did she glow the hippo to death? I just really thought that Bronwen and James pulled off the topic better than Mary and Courtneys did.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #85 of 89

I missed this episode! Does anyone know if they are going to reair it?

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #86 of 89

Misdawn it will air again tomorrow 4/22/09 4pm-5pm Pacific time. I have my DVR all set icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #87 of 89

Thanks!

ilikeitdark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilikeitdark Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:07am
post #88 of 89

Ok, people...I think you are all still missing the big picture here with this Last Cake Standing show. They are trying to declare the winner the best cake artist in the country which is clearly impossible to state since the "best" in the country aren't in the competition! icon_confused.gif

As far as Mary's so called revelation to use a piping gel that actually glows in the dark...none of the gel she piped on did infact glow under the blacklight. What a earth shattering conclusion it is to realize that anything white glows under blacklight--amazing! If you noticed at all, the details on Mary's cake that glowed were all of the details in white, not really rocket science people. icon_lol.gif

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm
post #89 of 89

Okay this is from two episodes ago, but The wedding cake the elise strauss made looked very traditional. Kind of looks a little like this one.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-46844.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%