A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

m4rvelgeek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m4rvelgeek Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 9:56pm
post #9181 of 25877

AIt was ok Mel. Loved seeing the kids having a good time, but I spend most my time worrying about times, where people are and that everyone is ok - not exactly a fun and relaxing day. The joys of leading, eh?

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 9:59pm
post #9182 of 25877

AWould you want it any other way marvel? Nah probably not.

Ganache, step away from the ganache, very very bad, I only use choc and double cream, nowt else in it.

m4rvelgeek Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:00pm
post #9183 of 25877

AOh, and although not strictly a kids' film, The Sound of Music needs and honourable mention. I love it. We did the tour in Salzburg two Christmases ago and it was literally the best day ever! =)

m4rvelgeek Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:03pm
post #9184 of 25877

A

Original message sent by nannycook

Would you want it any other way marvel? Nah probably not.

Ganache, step away from the ganache, very very bad, I only use choc and double cream, nowt else in it.

I only say ganache because people talk about it on here a lot and my MMC is my most popular bake, so couldn't cheapen it with chocolate buttercream. What quantities would you use to make up a mix? And what sort of shelf life does it have on a cake?

nannycook Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:04pm
post #9185 of 25877

AWould Love go there! Amazing place I bet, as was Prague, you'd like it there I should think.

nannycook Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:07pm
post #9186 of 25877

AThe other day I used 600ml of cream and 400grms dark ( cheap I used ads I always do) . They differ on here someone else will maybe give you different quantities no doubt! Its lush whichever you use.

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:42pm
post #9187 of 25877

can't believe I forgot Big too! Doh!

How do you not come home twitching after taking care of so many kids in London M4rvel?? 

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:51pm
post #9188 of 25877

AOh my giddy aunt! An hour I've been away people!

M4rvel well done for not losing anyone!

Kuushi I don't know about cheapest (they're pretty expensive everywhere I found) but I used cigarello's from the chocolate trading company. It tells you how many you need on their website, their eBay listing and their amazon listing, check all three cos the prices fluctuate, they were on offer on eBay so I put them on my watch list but by the time I got round to buying them they 'd gone back up and were cheaper on their website. I was very pleased with the quality, they taste yummy and were quite uniform in height, the width varied a bit but that was useful when I was filling the last little gap at the back. (Reminded me, I did chuckle about military precision!) And they do milk, dark, white and (wait for it) .........pink!

Mel you grew up on the same films as me! Loved E.T, cried my little eyes out, snot an all! We watched it when it came out on video and my whole family were watching me at the sad bits, not the telly. They knew I'd be bawling, I cried at every episode of Lassie and The Littlest Hobo!

The Sound of Music is my favourite musical, it's Gota be everyone's tho surely, cried at that too!

Ganache, half chocolate to cream, that's what I do, make more than you think you'll need for erm, um, oh I've got it! Spillages!

Lizzybug78 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:58pm
post #9189 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisie73 

Oh my giddy aunt! An hour I've been away people!
You should know better than that maisie :)

The Sound of Music is my favourite musical, it's Gota be everyone's tho surely, cried at that too!
Grease is the word, it's the word that you heard, it's got groove it's got meaning, doo doo doo doo doo... 

Ganache, half chocolate to cream, that's what I do, make more than you think you'll need for erm, um, oh I've got it! Spillages!
maisie73 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 11:04pm
post #9190 of 25877

AYep, I s'pose I should know better by now! :-D

Grease is good Lizzy but it's not one of my favourite things.

I didn't like Big, I thought it was a bit ridiculous tbh. Completely normal for an alien to land on earth and befriend a small boy or toys to come alive as soon as you're not looking tho!

maisie73 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 11:11pm
post #9191 of 25877

AOops, sorry m4rvel, I make 300ml cream: 600 gm chocolate. That's plenty to fill and cover an 8 inch round, just over 4inch high cake. With a little left over for erm cupcakes was it? Oh, no, spillages, that's right! :-D

Lizzybug78 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 11:16pm
post #9192 of 25877

A

Original message sent by maisie73

Grease is good Lizzy but it's not one of my favourite things.

I see what you did there, very good :-D

maisie73 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 11:27pm
post #9193 of 25877

AThank you Lizzy. :-)

Off to bed now, G'nite everyone.

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 5:00am
post #9194 of 25877

AMorning guys, I know it's early but I've been reading the ganache recipes and I was wondering if it worked for all types of chocolate? Like if I wanted to make a white chocolate ganache would I still do half cream and half chocolate?

I'm thinking of using it as my filling and covering before I add the cigarillos. Never worked with chocolte like this before, do you think that will work?

Also thanks Maisie! They are expensive aren't they? Wow. Oh well it is what it is I suppose!!

m4rvelgeek Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 5:12am
post #9195 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Lizzybug78

How do you not come home twitching after taking care of so many kids in London M4rvel?? 

Practice? I just come home dog-tired...

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 5:28am
post #9196 of 25877

AMorning all - life's so hectic right now and I can only check in erratically. My favourite film is hard but Despicable Me2 and Frozen are tying. Not quite a kids film but my favourite of all time is Close Encounters have to watch it every now and then just to relax! Seems we are now going to musicals - Les Mis for me followed by Lion king. Never ever seen Sound of Music! Been to Salzburg though but Prague is definitely my new favourite place - everyone should go! Lol. Well im off to send people to far flung places and other odd stuff that'll hit my desk. See you all later. Kathy

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 5:33am
post #9197 of 25877

A

Original message sent by kuuushi

Morning guys, I know it's early but I've been reading the ganache recipes and I was wondering if it worked for all types of chocolate? Like if I wanted to make a white chocolate ganache would I still do half cream and half chocolate?

I'm thinking of using it as my filling and covering before I add the cigarillos. Never worked with chocolte like this before, do you think that will work?

Also thanks Maisie! They are expensive aren't they? Wow. Oh well it is what it is I suppose!!

Good Morning...kuuushi hi, for white and milk chocolate you have to use 1:3 ratio cream to chocolate. It's just the dark chocolate 1:2 ratio cream to chocolate. Yes, you can use it to fill the cake and around the cake to make the cigarillos stick too. But if it's a chocolate cake, mix some ganache to your normal butter cream and use that for filling. :-)

kuuushi Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:26am
post #9198 of 25877

AMorning bashini, thanks for the help!

So, 600g white chocolate to 200g double cream? That should fill and cover a 9 inch cake?

It's a buttery vanilla cake and the lady doesn't like anything too "artificial looking" so that rules out fondant for a start lol!

So I'm going to do it filled and covered in white ganache, cigarillos around the side and a big anemone on the top.

Probably will fondant the board as they don't eat that!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:30am
post #9199 of 25877

AHi Kuuushi, I have this chart and according to that, you will need 723 white chocolate to 241 double cream if it's a 9" round. But if it's a 9" square, then you will need, 921 chocolate to 307 cream.

Have you tried dark chocolate with vanilla cake? It's sooo nice. Never tried milk chocolate ganache though!!

kuuushi Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:36am
post #9200 of 25877

AOh right! It is a round but I only really want it for the fill and top and thin around the sides. Do you still think I should go for the full amount? I hate waste lol!

I honestly have never tried it before! I don't do a lot of chocolate flavours unless it's my cake lol

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:37am
post #9201 of 25877

AMorning! :)

Ooh now if we're talking musicals I'm afraid I would have to go with Grease as well, we never really watched SOM when we were small for some reason!

Kuuushi for white choc I use the 3:1 ratio, I actually use Sains Basics White Choc (more cocoa butter than their normal one oddly!) and their whipping cream and it works perfectly. 600g choc to 200ml cream, I use this to cover an 8" with leftover.....but I don't use it to fill so you might need a bit more than this.

So who's caking today? I'm getting ready for nephews, they finally settled on Debbie Browns Tom & Jerry cake so need to get a pan/bowl sorted for Toms head! Thinking hemishere pan might be best, but she says to use a 1.5l Pyrex, so need to work out size comparisons!

PS Maisie I now have the Littlest Hobo theme stuck in my head! :grin:

Mel37 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:47am
post #9202 of 25877

ALOL Kuuushi leftover ganache will never go to waste........! :-D

kuuushi Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:49am
post #9203 of 25877

AOkay thanks Mel! I will get down to sainsburys for their choc!

Just marked this one up in my diary now, really can't wait much longer for my snowflake cutters to arrive. I mean seriously. How long does it take to put the cutters in a jiffy. Take said jiffy to posty and send it?! GRRR

kuuushi Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:50am
post #9204 of 25877

AMel it will when Me and the other half are on diets! :(

Mind you... I'll probably find the sod in the kitchen again at half 4 in the morning spooning at it like he did with my choc orange cake!!!

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:51am
post #9205 of 25877

Morning :lol:

I used to love The littlest hobo and Disney's Hambone and Hillie. Don't know if it's classed as a musical but Mary poppins and grease of course.

Kuuushi Mel's right ganache never goes to waste, my family melt the left overs to pour over ice cream. 

I'm colouring Sp today ready to start the pillow cake tomorrow.

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:52am
post #9206 of 25877

Haha that's so funny Kuuushi, at least he enjoys your caking efforts :lol:

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:55am
post #9207 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel37 

LOL Kuuushi leftover ganache will never go to waste........! icon_biggrin.gif

Too true, not many people know this but it makes an excellent anti ageing hand cream.

Directions; apply liberally to backs of hand, allow to set slightly, remove with something rough, a tongue is excellent for this.

It really works!

Mel37 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:55am
post #9208 of 25877

AOooh good luck with the pillow cake Roxy! Can wait to see it!

Aw Mary Poppins! Loved that too LOL :D

ROFL Kuushi love the thought of that, sneaking to the fridge like an R Whites secret lemonade drinker!! Or Nigella LOL...

kuuushi Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:55am
post #9209 of 25877

AOhh that's a great idea Mel! Yeah he's always my happy obedient cake guinea pig! Haha

How hard does ganache set? It's it firm or does it have like a melted chocolate consistency? I'm a ganache newbie!

nannycook Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:59am
post #9210 of 25877

AMorning, theres nothing like a good laugh first thing is there? You guys are so funny.

Pop along and See what Cakebaby is up to, Maisie had, soooooo funny, to do with box v scratch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%