A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:07am
post #9211 of 25877

morning all x no caking for me today either, have a topper to do :)

I do want to have a go at some lilys though so maybe later....oh and i want to make a bear or a cookie monster cake lol

will see if i can get some better pics of vintage cake too before i rip it all off :D

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:12am
post #9212 of 25877

AMorning ladies! Lmao Mel I swear he's like a diabetic kid who isn't aloud sweets so he eats them in secret and gets a hypo. Usually his hypo though is passing out in front of the tv after too much cake hahaha!

Great for when I have to cake it!

m4rvelgeek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m4rvelgeek Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:19am
post #9213 of 25877

A

Original message sent by kuuushi

Just marked this one up in my diary now, really can't wait much longer for my snowflake cutters to arrive. I mean seriously. How long does it take to put the cutters in a jiffy. Take said jiffy to posty and send it?! GRRR

I have a spare unopened set if you're desperate? Don't know where you are mind...?

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:20am
post #9214 of 25877

AMorning all! Fell in love many years ago with Christopher Plummer when I saw SOM for the first time. Watched it again last Christmas and still cried. ET funny and sad.

I'm a musical kind of gal so Lion King is top of my chart. It even knocked the Phantom into second place. :)

kuuushi Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:21am
post #9215 of 25877

AThanks for the offer m4rvel! I'll keep that in mind! Make isn't due until next Friday but I get a bit fidgety when I don't have my tools. Like I may not even start it until Monday or Tuesday next week but at least I have my tools there for when I want to start. Haha!

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:26am
post #9216 of 25877

Thanks Mel hoping it goes ok, I'm pretty organised so far but that could all go out the window tomorrow :lol:

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:27am
post #9217 of 25877

ALynne funny that, I like him to, something about him!

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:27am
post #9218 of 25877

Kuuushi I'm the same like to have everything in on time and know it's there.

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:56am
post #9219 of 25877

AMorning fellow chatter boxes! :-)

Kathy and mel I cannot believe you've never seen the sound of music! Watch it! Immediately!

I use milk chocolate for ganache, my lot are not dark chocolate lovers. I use a 2:1 ratio, it's delicious. Going back to see if I've missed anything now the house is quiet and I've got 5 mins.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:01am
post #9220 of 25877

AKuuushi, you can freeze the left over ganache. I think Nanny does it, but I don't. Always finish within a week and have to make more!!! It does get hard but still easy to cut through. You want it to be the consistency of Nutella. Easy to spread it. :)

Tiddylicious Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:06am
post #9221 of 25877

there bit better i think :-? horrible colour to take picture of as it looks soooo orange in reality its not at all :(

can take it all off now :-D

maisie73 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:14am
post #9222 of 25877

AYeah it is a better photo tiddy, shows the bows off better. It's beautiful.

I ordered cake lace, a peacock mat and a spreader thingy yesterday, I can't wait for them to come but I dunno why cos I haven't got any cakes coming up I can use it on!

I'm making fruitcakes today for Father's Day. I should've started by now but getting everything out and getting the tin ready is the worst bit so I tend to put it off longer than I should. I'm going to try to ration my CC time today or I won't get them done! See you later. :-)

bashini Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:23am
post #9223 of 25877

AYour cake is beautiful Tiddy. :smile:

Maisie, hi... I've got my cake Lacey stuff but haven't looked at them properly, I am doing a wedding fair in September and I am planning to do a dummy with Ace for that. :smile:

I have four cakes to bake today for three communions including my son's for this Saturday. So better get on with it now!!!

kuuushi Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:59am
post #9224 of 25877

AI'm just wondering if anyone else does this?

My chocolate and vanilla batters are always mixed dry and wet in turn so I sieve all my dry in one bowl and gradually add to my wet bowl.

So my dry mix is quite labour intensive and I to save time I make up a batch of dry so I always have it on hand and I just have to grab the wet to start making.

Does anyone else do this? I tend not to have them laying around for long. They're in airtight bags inside an airtight box, I'd say about 5 or 6 batches a time for about two weeks maximum. Is there any chance that they could sort of 'go off' and not bake properly because I do this if I left them for longer?.

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 9:09am
post #9225 of 25877

AMorning all :-)

10am and already 2 more pages gone!

Tiddy, have you got a camera that you can adjust the white balance on? If you have, take a photo of a white piece of paper that's in the position your cake will be in. Set this as your custom white balance and then take your photo;the colour will be much more true, handy for if something just doesn't look the same in photos as real life.

You have to do it every time you take a set of photos if the setting has changed, ie different times of day, different rooms, that sort of thing, but it does help with colours.

Lizzybug78 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 9:11am
post #9226 of 25877

AAlso, my phone will not accept tiddy as a word and keeps auto correcting you to teddy. How do you feel about a name change? It would save me correcting my auto correct every time :-D

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 9:16am
post #9227 of 25877

ATiddy I missed your beautiful lace creation - sorry about that. So elegant.

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 9:19am
post #9228 of 25877

Good morning everyone. 

Somehow I've missed a ton of pages again! I'm rather pleased to see many adults are also keen on kiddie films. I was quite tearful with the last film we watched- Paranorman. Found Coralyn pretty creeeepyyyyy!! Favourites are Wall-E ('directive!!!'), Toy Story, Despicable Me, Madagascar (I gotta move it move it, who says penguins can't fly?), Monsters Inc, Cars, Tangled, all the film shorts, etc etc etc. We all love them, including the hubby!

Tiddy, how about photoshopping the picture to adjust the colours?

I've got a cake to do for friday, freebie for friend's daughter. I'm trying to make myself go to the gym today though so I might make the cake tonight. We're low on supplies so gotta go to supermarket too. So many things get in the way of cake! Guess I better get myself out the door...

Tiddylicious Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 9:20am
post #9229 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzybug78 

Also, my phone will not accept tiddy as a word and keeps auto correcting you to teddy. How do you feel about a name change? It would save me correcting my auto correct every time icon_biggrin.gif

oooh i love teddy! in fact hes my next cake i think :lol:

Tiddylicious Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 9:20am
post #9230 of 25877

p.s thanks for the tip!

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 9:21am
post #9231 of 25877

Kuushi, should be ok so long as you use an airtight container!

Who was ranting about facebook? It drove me insane trying to set up a business page! I don't think you can add anything to a business page like friends, you have to add them to your personal page. I think the friends in the personal page will see posts from the business page, but if in doubt, invite everyone in your personal friends list to 'like' your business page, and from thereon they will see all the posts. HTH

maisie73 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 9:22am
post #9232 of 25877

ACan't help with the dry mix Kuushi but I can't see there being a problem. Flour and sugar are only stored in paper bags aren't they? Do you add baking powder? That's better fresher but even that's not stored airtight so should be ok.

Lizzy I've had some funny auto corrects with names but my phone recognises them after I've used them a few times and now if I spell Kuushi wrong, for example, it changes it to the correct spelling.

kuuushi Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 9:39am
post #9233 of 25877

AYou guys are crazy lol!

Thanks for the reassurance on the mix guys, I thought it would be fine but a few more people saying it was fine too helped!

Facebook has literally driven my crazy. All last night trying to figure out how I could add friends. Ended up doing a personal and tried to put my name as Waldorf Bakery but it told me off saying it looked like I was a business and it was against policy!! *pulls hair out*

I don't have a personal Facebook as I personally think it's stupid. So I can't exactly ask my friends to like it case I don't have enough scope to get them! So it has to be a personal. I think I just need to persevere and get it done as a personal. No idea how though!!

Tiddylicious Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 9:52am
post #9234 of 25877

Kuuushi just make a personal page, you dont have to add any info you dont want to, just hit the skip button. Once youve done that click the creat page button and you can then call yourself whatever you like for that one. It is correct that my friends on my personal facebook see all my business posts and im sure it drives them mad but they can easily opt out! When youve done it i will add you as a friend then you will have at least one :grin:

Oh i love auto correct on my phone hahaha! My eldests name is Cherniece but try putting that in your phone and it comes up Chernobyl :lol: has me in fits sometimes! Just last week Mr Tiddy sent me a lovely text saying how my choc fudge cake (which he'd stolen) was very scummy..almost as scummy as the lady that made it :lol: of course i knew what he meant and thought it hilarious but he didnt haha!

Lizzybug78 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 10:29am
post #9235 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiddylicious 

My eldests name is Cherniece but try putting that in your phone and it comes up Chernobyl :lol: 

Bahahaha :lol: Love it!

kuuushi Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 10:31am
post #9236 of 25877

AHaha! I'll do that tiddy!

Does anyone have an extruder? I'm in the market for one but don't want to spend through the nose but I want a good quality one. Any suggestions and could you link me to them? :)

bashini Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 11:02am
post #9237 of 25877

AKuuushi, I've got the red and black extruded. But I know lot of other decorators like the Makins ( hope the name is correct ) one. :)

Tiddylicious Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 11:12am
post #9238 of 25877

grrr to wired flowers!

bettybumblecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettybumblecake Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 11:14am
post #9239 of 25877

Hello fellow Brit-Bakers :)

I'm jst performing a bit of market research & would be super grateful if you could answer these 9

questions...  

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CXKPY62 

If you don't trust the link, or want some more info first, please see my facebook page:

www.facebook.com/bettybumblebakery

Those who choose to leave their name & email will be placed into a prize draw to win some yummy stuff through the post! 

Thank you in advance :)

Betty

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 11:19am
post #9240 of 25877

AI've got the Makins one, I did have the red and black one but found it really hard work on my hands. I like the green one as it's a bit easier to use a long as you get your paste really nice and soft!

Oh dear Tiddy, you ok?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%