Tylose Powder?

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm by Cakepro

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:02am
post #1 of 6

I finally got some Tylose Powder today. If I'm using Wilton Fondant and let's say enough to make a figure similar to what aine2 would make... how much Tylose do I add to my gum paste?

5 replies
cakecrazy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy09 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:01am
post #2 of 6

I would like to know the answer to this also.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:50am
post #3 of 6

you would add it to fondant, not gumpaste. gumpaste already has the drying agent in it.

you would add prob 1 tsp or so to a small sized figure, work it a while and let it start to take effect.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 6

Where do you buy Tylose?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 6

I got mine online. It goes a long way so it was worth buying. It makes great "glue" - just mix a tiny amount with water and it gets very thick.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 6

I just completed four days of Debbie Brown classes last week, for which her instructions were to use 2 tsp tylose per pound of fondant for our figures. I used Wilton fondant and 2 tsp per pound was WAY too much. She uses Regal Ice fondant which is a much softer fondant, and it takes 2 tsp per pound very well. Those of us who used Wilton fondant ended up using Fondx, which is softer than Wilton, which worked very well.

In the future, I won't be using more than 1 tsp per pound of Wilton fondant (or I may start using Satin Ice for my figures, which I use for cakes). The softer the fondant, the much easier it is to get all the cracks and crazing and fingerprints out of your figure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%