Cake Boards???

Decorating By Krystle56 Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 12:50am by kakeladi

Krystle56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krystle56 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 11

I was wondering what kind of cake boards everyone uses? Do you use Wilton's or make your own out of something other than cardboard??

10 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:13am
post #2 of 11

I use foamcore. If you do a search on "foamcore" you will find lots and lots of info.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 11

I prefer Wilton's cardboard cake circles etc......
When I had my shop I bought them by the case - not Wilton's.

Liniti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liniti Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:22am
post #4 of 11

I use Wilton's cardboard cakeboards on top of a masonite board, and wrap both of them together in decorator foil. That way, when the party is over, I just separate them and send the leftover cake home on the cardboard one. Since I have family members that forget to return my leftover dishes in a timely manner....lol...I don't have to worry about when I'll get my masonite board back to put my next cake on.
Besides, I like the extra strength the masonite board gives under a 11x15 sheet cake that is loaded with BC icing!

Krystle56 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 11

That's what I was kind of thinking...you would need a little extra support under the cake because they can get pretty heavy with a lot of frosting on them!

Someone requested a stacked (3 or 4 high) 9" cake that I need to figure out how to transport. Any suggestions?

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 11

I love foamcore! Yes I make my own bases. you can go to Hobby Lobby and see two main thickness. Both have their advantages (that I could go on and on about). The thickest should be perfect for you. HL usually has their foamcore on sale about every other month 50% off. I stock up. If they dont have any there then I get a rain check.

Rcrewof10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rcrewof10 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 11

If I don't want the cardboard back then I use pizza circles from GFS. I think the last time I bought them they were 10 cents a board? It's been awhile so I'm not sure on exact price. They had 3 different size circles. I tape, depending on the cake, 3 to 5 together to make a solid base.

Hope this helps

Michele

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 11

I went to an auction for a bakery that was going out of buisness. I haven't bought any boards since and it's been about 1 1/2 years.
I got all kinds of amazing stuff all for cake decorating.

cgcreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgcreation Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 11

For smaller cakes I use an old cardboard box, cut to fit the cake and wrapped with freezer paper. I'm so cheap I can't even pay 10 cents for a board.

For heavier cakes, especially those I have to transport, I have used leftover plywood or shelving cut to fit and wrapped with freezer paper.
Of course, I sanitize the board before covering befroe covering heavily in freezer paper.

I don't sell the cakes so I don't have to worry about the customer's face when they realize their cake was on a piece of scrap plywood.

Krystle56 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 11

Cool, thanks for all the ideas!! I really appreciate it!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #11 of 11

.......a stacked (3 or 4 high) 9" cake that I need to figure out how to transport. Any suggestions?.......

Are you referring to one cake that is 9" in diameter 3 or 4" tall?

If so doubling cake circles will be more than enoughicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%