Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 9:43pm by tonedna

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 34

I would like to see a step by step instruction for gp roses. I have seen it before and can't find it. Search came up empty. Prefer still photo.

33 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 34

On U.Tube there are several.....several done by our own wonderful Tonedna

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 34

(psssst...it's "YouTube," not "U.Tube" - just in case you ever wanted to go there to watch videos. Both "u.tube" and "utube" are search engines)

Here's one: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/409694647SCfrnv

and here's another: http://www.sugarcraftandcakedecorating.com/how-to.php?page=162

and yet another: http://www.sugarcraftandcakedecorating.com/how-to.php?page=250

Enjoy! icon_smile.gif
Sherri

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 34

There is a few in Youtube, I made one for people that have no cutters and wanted to get started with just a simple round cutter. But you can use a cutter for separate petals. Eventually I might add one for a five petal cutter, but I think someone has one, not sure who.
Here is the link to my homepage..Under the big screen you will find all my videos..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 34

the sites are blocked icon_evil.gif I need the still photo, my daughter is trying to learn and the video goes too fast. She needs the pics to go slower to her pace. She is getting it slowly but feel I need to get pics for her. She wants to be like tonedna! accent and all and not sound like her redneck self!

tonedna Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 34

Pause the video!...lol..the beauty of it is you can watch over and over again!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 34

uhmmm, duhhh icon_redface.gif thanks, sometimes I miss the easy answer

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 34

The roses in my avatar are made by using the Edna method (Tonedna.) they were the first roses I ever made! Edna's method is awesome and one of the videos you can watch on YouTube. In my humble opinion... she's the best!

tonedna Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

The roses in my avatar are made by using the Edna method (Tonedna.) they were the first roses I ever made! Edna's method is awesome and one of the videos you can watch on YouTube. In my humble opinion... she's the best!

Wow win..the avatar looks awesome!..
Edna thumbs_up.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 34

Thanks Edna! I'm working on some even today... they really go fast now!

tonedna Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 34

I just finish this one today..love the spring look!

Edna icon_biggrin.gif
LL

jlynnw Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 34

icon_eek.gif wow

stephbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephbakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:37pm
post #13 of 34

Edna, that's GORGEOUS. I can't wait to see the youtube video!

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 34

Edna I learned more from your gumpaste rose videos than I did in the class I took! Thanks so much for sharing your info with everyone, I can't wait to play!! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:00am
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellBell22

Edna I learned more from your gumpaste rose videos than I did in the class I took! Thanks so much for sharing your info with everyone, I can't wait to play!! icon_biggrin.gif

Is this a Wilton Class?
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:23am
post #16 of 34

Actually it wasn't. It was an independant class in my local supply shop, but unfortunately the teacher had to run the shop while doing the class, which didn't leave alot of time for helping us newbies. At the time mine were the closest to looking like roses (I've done alot of sculpey before) but nowhere near yours!!

tonedna Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:00am
post #17 of 34

I was never completely happy with my roses... I kept trying and trying, and seems the more you do them the more you figure them out..I think they are pretty complicated, specially if you are trying for them to look real.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Jsowards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jsowards Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:44pm
post #18 of 34

Okay, silly question here....how is the cake cut and served with gumpaste roses on them? I'm making a Derby themed cake and want to have realistic looking roses on them, but don't want it to be a hassle for the customer to cut and serve the cake. For example, I'm putting a large horseshoe shaped (using the Wilton horseshoe pan) bed of roses in the center of a large cake. Should I make the horseshoe out of cardboard with a fondant "base" in the shape of the horseshoe and stick the gumpaste roses in that, only to be removed when it comes time to serve the cake? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

tonedna Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:58pm
post #19 of 34

Basically, my job is to make the cake pretty!..Now about the flowers, is just a matter of taking them off before serving. Just like they would have to do it if they were fresh..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

the sites are blocked icon_evil.gif I need the still photo, my daughter is trying to learn and the video goes too fast. She needs the pics to go slower to her pace. She is getting it slowly but feel I need to get pics for her. She wants to be like tonedna! accent and all and not sound like her redneck self!

Can't you pause the videos then restart them? Then replay them as needed.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #21 of 34

Im self-taught when it comes to roses but I think mine are pretty realistic! (Not to toot my own horn or anything!) If any of you need help, I would be happy to answer any questions!

tonedna Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

Can't you pause the videos then restart them? Then replay them as needed.

Yes it can be done..and you can watch as many times as needed too!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Basically, my job is to make the cake pretty!..Now about the flowers, is just a matter of taking them off before serving. Just like they would have to do it if they were fresh..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ditto!

btw, i *love* that cake you just posted tonedna...simply gorgeous. my favorite is the hot pink flower on top, what cutter did you used for it?

tonedna Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:14pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ditto!

btw, i *love* that cake you just posted tonedna...simply gorgeous. my favorite is the hot pink flower on top, what cutter did you used for it?

I used 2 different companies. The bigger one is form PME and the other one is from sunflower co.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:26pm
post #25 of 34

Toneda's rose tutorial on YouTube is fabulous. As a matter of fact all her tutorials are fabulous.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm
post #26 of 34

Hi!! I always had problems making my flowers specially roses (I love roses), I try everything and I never like them, after I see Edna's videos, I do my roses fast and sooooo much better, I need to practice more because I wish I can make them as pretty as her roses but, anyway I just want to say THANK YOU EDNA FOR YOUR VIDEOS THEY ARE A M A Z I N G, you are so nice sharing your techniques, thank you, thank you, thank you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
LL

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #27 of 34

thanks!

tonedna Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyola

Hi!! I always had problems making my flowers specially roses (I love roses), I try everything and I never like them, after I see Edna's videos, I do my roses fast and sooooo much better, I need to practice more because I wish I can make them as pretty as her roses but, anyway I just want to say THANK YOU EDNA FOR YOUR VIDEOS THEY ARE A M A Z I N G, you are so nice sharing your techniques, thank you, thank you, thank you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Aww thanks!!!!..As for as fast as you work on them and the quality of the rose I promise you that the more you make them, the easier and prettier they get!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #29 of 34

Thank you, thank you, thank you Edna!!

I can't wait to try your method! Your roses are beautiful!

Jsowards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jsowards Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:12pm
post #30 of 34

Thanks for the reply. Basically, make the cake taste and look fabulous and let them worry about cutting and serving it - works for me!

Next question, then...what do you use to make beautifully red, realistic roses? Color-wise, I mean. I'm past the point of doing red buttercream roses because I couldn't get the right color and consistency, so now I'm on to the more realistic look of gumpaste. But what about achieving that nice, deep red color? Thanks!

BTW, Edna, your videos are wonderful! I've been watching several of them and my 3-year-old daughter even turned off her Einstein's movie to watch you! I asked her what she was doing and she said she wanted to watch the pretty lady making the cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%