What Is Wrong With This Flower?

Decorating By too_nice_to_slice Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 4:08am by jlynnw

too_nice_to_slice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
too_nice_to_slice Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 17

I just tried my fist fondant rose tonight, but I think something looks "off" I'm not exactly sure what, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif

P.S.
I'm not sure why it's so gigantic, but I gues that makes it easier to see what's messed up about it. lol.

16 replies
shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 17

I've never done fondant, but just from looking at your rose, the center is standing straight up. I think if you could make them flair out a little, at least on the edges, it would look more realistic.

The outside of the rose looks great!

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:09am
post #3 of 17

It looks o.k. to me.....I have only made gum paste flowers but, I would say maybe putting the outer petals a little higher up and flaring out the petals that are surrounding the center. I am certainly no expert on this stuff though!icon_smile.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:31am
post #4 of 17

I agree with the PPs...the center looks a bit bunched up but the outside looks great. Still I think it's very good for your first.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 17

i think it looks really good. the center ones could be more spread out and ruffled. and i think if you could thin/ ruffle the edges of the bigger petals it would help too, but it can be hard to do that with fondant.
xx

too_nice_to_slice Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks for the tips. You're right about the outside petals, when I looked at it from the side, it was more "christmas tree" shaped. And I had one more question: I did this one petal by petal, but would i have been easier with the 5 petal cutters?

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 17

I love the 5-petal cutters. They are super easy to do roses with and are probably the best option if you are just learning.

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 17

Use the ball shaped end of a fondant tool to thin out the outside edges of the petals.

I use the 5 petal cutter and cut the petals deeper with a palette knife.

Your rose looks nice to me, though.

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:46am
post #9 of 17

Well, not that I'm perfect at roses or anything, but I wonder if the center of the rose should have petals that are packed so tightly together, that they take on a cone shape (not a cylinder). You shouldn't be able to peek down inside the center very much.

Don't know if that helps- I'm practicing them myself. (I have yet to make one I am truly happy with)

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 17

The center of the rose needs to have petals that are just starting to unfurl from the bud, and the very first petal needs to be a tightly-wound spiral. You don't absolutely have to thin and slightly curl the outer petals but it adds much more realism to the flower.

You did an awesome job for your first try! See if you can find some good, up-close pictures of roses so you can emulate the first few petals in that unfurling shape.

Here are some that I did which doesn't give you a good close-up of the center but you can see what thinning and curling the petals edges does for the rose.
LL

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 17

Just keep practicing! It takes a bit. Keep looking at the other roses on the site. artywest makes good ones even if she is not pleased. I think for your first rose, it is great. I can't wait to see the second one!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 17

Wow, I think you did really well. Very pretty to me, but I'm not an expert like the others are.
Keep on practicing because you're farther along than you realize!!!! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 17

You are well on your wayicon_smile.gif Just a little tweeking and you'll have *really* beautiful flowers.
Besides giving the center a bit more play on the edges, also pinch some of the outer petals - yes, actually pinch them around the center of the petal; pinch from the underside and roll the petal over your fingers. Don't make every petal the same.....do it different ways so there is not consistency in how ever petal looks.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:07am
post #14 of 17

Your first attempt looks wonderful, my first time involved about 300 roses but in gum paste. I really know how to jump RIGHT IN LOL !!! Good job.

jlynnw Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:31am
post #15 of 17

Have you tried to do another. Would like to see how things are going.

too_nice_to_slice Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:36am
post #16 of 17

Actually, I'm hoping to try again after the kiddo goes to bed icon_smile.gif so I'll definitely keep you updated.

jlynnw Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:08am
post #17 of 17

I'll check back in the morning. I am off with the kiddos myself! Keep trying and you can get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%