Taste After Freezing

Decorating By amyvelez11 Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 5:22pm by amyvelez11

amyvelez11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyvelez11 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 7

My mom does amazing things with cakes growing up, I always watched thinking I had the coolest mom ever. I was into it as a child, but more for just how cool it was. Within the last few years and since I've had my daughter I have really started to take a new interest in cake decorating. You get something from doing it yourself that no store can give you...and it tastes better icon_biggrin.gif

So, I am looking to make a three tiered "crooked cake" for my daughters birthday. My mom will be on hand for help assembling and decorating, but I want to show her she's taught me well thumbs_up.gif

I was lookin into making the cakes a week in advance and freezing them, as I not only have the cake task but all other food with a 2 yr. old under foot. I worry so much though about taste. I would sacrafice time for good tasting cake, because even if it is pretty if it don't taste good what's the point. I am really interested on what people have to say about how cake tastes after it's been thawed.

Also, I've read on here about people making their buttercream in advance and freezing it, is there a certain recipe for being able to freeze the buttercream. Again, with it still tasting good.

Thank you so much in advance, this site rocks I'm so happy to have found it.

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 7

When I do a tasting, I pull squares of frozen cake out of the freezer. Once in a blue moon, I'll have to do a quick bake job that morning. I'll have a bride ask me if I freeze my cakes. I tell them, "You tell me. 2 of these cakes were in my freezer for 2 weeks and one was baked this morning. You tell me which is which."

They ALWAYS .... ALWAYS!!!!..... guess wrong. They think the frozen cakes taste fresher.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 7

Hello and welcome to Cake Central!

There are so many threads here discussing freezing cakes, and I don't think you'll find anybody who discerns any difference in taste or quality if they properly freeze and store their cakes. You can bake, torte, fill, crumbcoat and freeze your cakes. Wrap twice with plastic wrap and then with heavy foil. Place in freezer. When you're ready to use them, leave them out on the counter, wrapped, for about 4 hours or overnight. Proceed to frost and decorate!

You can also freeze buttercream, but most buttercreams will store for many weeks in the fridge.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 7

Cakes taste great after freezing for a short time provided they have been wrapped well. It is advisable to place a box of baking soda in the freezer to absorb odours as well. Buttercream icing freezes very well. The key is to make sure everything is wrapped well to prevent frezer burn. I have frozen cakes in advance many times. Noone has ever been able to tell that they were ever frozen an d they taste very fresh and delicious. The buttercream tastaes just fine after thawing as well.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 7

Exactly what the others have said!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 7

I prefer the taste and texture of cake after it's been frozen. This doesn't hold true for me though, with cupcakes...ugh. For carved cakes, it does make it easier to accomplish.

Depending on your freezer, its, contents, whether it's over the fridge and its' contents, as to how it needs to be wrapped. If you have considerable space in a deep freezer, wrapping them in a couple of layers of plastic wrap should suffice. If there's questionable/items containing strong odors(garlic...)in the area the layers will be kept I would refrain from doing it at all. That's me though.

How cool is this set up??? See how this lady did her's...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smitten/2628707031/

read more about it here...

http://smittenkitchen.com/category/wedding-cake/

amyvelez11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyvelez11 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for all of your help, this is going to help make the week and day before the party so much easier and less stressful on me. I appreciate all of the feedback icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%