Finally Got A Backbone!!!! (Super Long Vent)

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 12:55am by sarahcupcake

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:07am
post #31 of 115

ImageImage You go, girl! ImageImage

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:08am
post #32 of 115

WAY TO GO!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

You handled that situation extremely well. You were professional, but refused to take her abuse, and gave them an option. If they even dare to call back and want money back, don't you dare give them a penny!! You gave them the chance to opt out and get a refund and they refused, so now that they've accepted the cake and eaten it, they get nothing back.

I think once she got to the point of bringing people over to show them how "awful" the cake was, I would've simply started loading it back up without even saying a word! What a witch!

Your cakes are both gorgeous, of course. I can see that the bows are red; a muted re, but red. If they don't give you a swatch, they can't complain, and matches can't be guaranteed in any case. Much better to be more muted than to be a bright tomato, bithday-cake, kind of red!

Sorry you've had such negative experiences. I guess I was lucky, I never had any bridzillas or complaints when I was doing wedding cakes.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:11am
post #33 of 115

Jen, when I told her she didn't give me a swatch, she told me she didn't know she needed to give me one for the color. Huh. I wonder how many shades of red there are out there?

gritswfire-the reason this is a big deal is because I am relatively spineless. I don't hardly ever tell people to back off. When it first started, my hands started shaking, and a little voice in my head said "What is the worst that can happen here? I can pick up the cake and march myself out of here with my pride." So, I guess something just clicked and it was easier than I thought.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:25am
post #34 of 115

Trust me--once you've put your foot down with a customer the first time, it gets easier. I've always been more of a doormat about confrontation, especially with someone like that. Then one day I realized that I have every right to stand up for myself if someone's going to scream at me, and tell them to shove off (in the nicest possible way). Now it's easier for me to be polite but very, VERY firm with screaming-meemie crazy people like your customer. You were perfectly professional but firm. Good good GOOD for you!

Your cake was beautiful (AND red), and anyone should be proud to have it at their wedding! The armadillo was adorable too.

If they try to take you up on the money-back thing, tell them absolutely no way. That was only offered IF they decided not to keep the cakes.

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:48am
post #35 of 115

Summer, first of all I absolutely LOVE all your cakes. Your website and all your work is beautiful, and if some snarky old biddy can't handle that, then she should just stick it where the sun don't shine. Good for you standing up for yourself, I'm relatively spineless myself and I bet that had to feel just fantastic!! Way to go Summer!!!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:22am
post #36 of 115

I agree with everything said above - the cake is gorgeous, the flowers are red, the armadillo cake is sooo cute and you were not rude - you were professional and just stated the facts. Poor bride - she probably has put up with this nonense her entire life! thumbs_up.gif

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:32am
post #37 of 115

Your cakes are gorgeous! Good for you for sticking up for yourself. There is no need for people to act like that!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:33am
post #38 of 115

<Standing up and applauding> Good for you!!! Now that someone has stood up to that woman and put her in her place maybe - just maybe - she'll think twice about verbally abusing the next person.

Your approach was spot on...direct yet professional. Some of these bridezillas' moms and grandmoms are like sharks. They smell blood and they go in for the kill. Showing no fear and standing your ground was the best thing you could have done.

You get the brass balls award for the day! icon_lol.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:34am
post #39 of 115

Oh I almost forgot - the cakes are FAB-u-LOUS!!!!

cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #40 of 115

First of all, that wedding cake is beautiful. They had no grounds for griping. Secondly--congrats on finding your spine while maintaining your dignity and professionalism. And what Indydebi said--ditto.

summernoelle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #41 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

You get the brass balls award for the day! icon_lol.gif

Woo hoo! That's a first for me! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

My DH is sick today, and I need someone to go have some margaritas with. icon_sad.gif

Thanks, guys. Still waiting for Monday and a nasty email. Although I agree with what everyone else said-I offered to take the cake and refund-she accepted the cake, end.of.story.

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #42 of 115

the RED bow cake is sooo pretty... I can only hope to be a good as this one day... as far as the "witch"... girl I have red hair and needless to say I would never have given her the option to keep the cake or a refund... Abuse is abuse and no one should have to deal with it. Don't let this bother you too much just know that people like that must have something very wrong in their life to act like that. YOU ARE AN AWESOME DECORATOR!!!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:00am
post #43 of 115

You go girl!! I am so proud of you! I know its not easy to say something like that, but at some point you just have to, not just for yourself but for everyone else in that room! I'm the florist would have given you a big pat on the back as well!!

The cakes are amazing!!!!!!! YOU ROCK!

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:06am
post #44 of 115

Oh wow, the wedding cake is gorgeous and the armadillo is adorable! Go YOU for sticking up for yourself!

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:18am
post #45 of 115

Summer,

I get it. I'm the type of person who thinks about the situation later and then I come up with, "Oh I should have said...". Any way, I'm thrilled you were able to calm the situation. I'm sure the others in the room must have been applauding you - on the inside. They probably wish you could have been there earlier.

Job well done!

While you are being so awesome, if they call for a refund, be sure to let them know you require the cake to be returned in full. icon_lol.gif (I'm living dangerously through you right now.)

Toni

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:22am
post #46 of 115

BTW,

I just ask my 9 year old daughter what color were the bows - she said RED! Like I had lost my mind. They're beautiful.

Toni

SassyBees2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyBees2 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:23am
post #47 of 115

Sorry you had to go through all that icon_sad.gif However, I am happy you found that place inside yourself to stand up to such a mean-spirited woman. Kudos thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:25am
post #48 of 115

I love the cake & you were totally professional (I hope I can be that professional) & the wedding cake is beautiful & the armidillo cake is SOOO cute!

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:26am
post #49 of 115

What a grandmazilla? I can't imagine how I will react if something like that happens to me Now you give me an idea of how I will handle a situation like that, considering, that, most of us when are delivering a cake that need to be fininsh at location are already nervous....and by the way...the cake its beautifull and the armadillo is perfect....GOOD JOB!!!!!

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:30am
post #50 of 115

Love the cakes.. Only hope my sisters turns out this well when I do them....

You go and keep that back bone....

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:34am
post #51 of 115

OMG! That cake is just beautiful! I don't know how anyone could say it was hideous and keep a straight face. I guess generally miserable people can. A person can only take so much abuse and you're right, some wedding party family members think that means they can all take on the role of bridezilla. Good for you!

summernoelle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:47am
post #52 of 115

Well, everything else in that room that they were complaining about was beyond beautiful. The flowers, the draping and lights, everything was just BEAUTIFUL! It's hard to believe they were complaining about everything that looked so perfect. Sad, really.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Thank you all for your nice, supportive words.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:48am
post #53 of 115

Very nice work Summer! Good for you! I always tell people, "I'm sorry but my crystalball is broken and my magic wand's batteries are dead". icon_lol.gif

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:02am
post #54 of 115

Your cake is simply lovely! I am a beginner, and one day, I hope to do work as fine as yours....

I think that you did all you could in trying to make these people happy and give them what they wanted. I think the grandmother had quite a bit of nerve to make complaints about the cake.

Personally I think I would have had to give her some alterations with my " Piping Bag" !!!! (LOL)

Rhonda

P.S. Your armadillo is just beautiful!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:04am
post #55 of 115

OMFG! OMFG! BRAAAAAAVO!! So so so proud of you, holy cow....I can't believe it. You GO girl!!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:11am
post #56 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritswife

...if they call for a refund, be sure to let them know you require the cake to be returned in full. icon_lol.gif (I'm living dangerously through you right now.)

Toni

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

LOOOOOOOVE IT!!!!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:18am
post #57 of 115

I'm posting this without reading all the replies (eyes still tired after last weekend's marathon posts icon_wink.gif so sorry if I repeat what others have said.
I hope you did not let this lady damper your confidence in your work. That cake is absolutely amazingly beautiful! Really!! Were they doing the show Bridzillas or something? I think MEAN is in the script of those things. Live and learn, and I'm so proud of you for firmly yet respectfully telling her to leave you to do your work.
You're a true cake artist! thumbs_up.gif

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:19am
post #58 of 115

Those cakes were gorgeous!! Please don't stop creating such beautiful wedding cakes.

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:36am
post #59 of 115

It can be hard to step out of your comfort zone when it comes to standing up for yourself, but sometimes it is Very necesarry, as in this case. This woman was being plain ignorant, and you had every right to say something to her. She was obviously getting away with it all day long until you said something, good for you! I hope this won't deter you from continuing to do wedding cakes, especially if you love doing them, and you are very talented. The side of you that spoke up and put this woman in her place should be like your alter ego, give her name and everything! (Beyonce Knowles is Sasha Fierce when she is on stage performing). Summon up this alter ego when you need to get in someones face. Good luck CC friend!! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:37am
post #60 of 115

Hang in there! No ones pays me enough to scream at me. Some just fight constantly hoping for a discount, refund, etc... and make the rest of us crazy.

Let's stay above the fray and make all accountable for their actions. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%