Finally Got A Backbone!!!! (Super Long Vent)

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 12:55am by sarahcupcake

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:43am
post #61 of 115

Very well done...each cake (they are beautiful) and your assertive (not aggressive) remarks! Consider yourself very successful!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:49am
post #62 of 115

Nothing I could add that hasn't already been said before me.

Hooray for you!! Image

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:53am
post #63 of 115

Good on you! I think you handled yourself beautifully. I kinda wish you'd just picked up the cake and left ... he he he ... but really, what would you do with all that cake? I shake too when I stand up to someone and it takes every last ounce of strength not to let the tears come as they just flow when I get really angry. You did it in such a great way and I'm sorry you're spending the weekend stressing about that phone call or email on Monday. But, if she does ask for a refund I'd say that she was setting you all up from the start. Maybe they blew their budget on the wedding and were screaming at everyone in the hopes of recouping some of the money? I agree with the others - you offered the opportunity for the refund when you were setting it up and gave her an alternative about what she could do. By the way, the ribbons are totally red - what other colour could you call them? That's the pic I would have had in my head when they said red. I like that someone shut that woman down by pointing out that it matched the flower arrangements! The cake is amazing!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:36am
post #64 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

She didn't leave, but did come up to me and compliment me on my armadillo.

I would have pointed to it's rear end and said "good because that's your piece."

*edited*

I forgot to add, your work was beautiful on those cakes.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:51am
post #65 of 115

Cakes were beautiful. I appluad you for standing up for your work and your dignity. That woman was very abusive. I would hate to be a part of that family. You did a wonderful job on those cakes.

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:16am
post #66 of 115

Good on you! I recently let fly at someone (an inlaw) who has treated me badly off and on for the last 20 years. I have always bitten my tongue just to keep the peace for the sake of my son, but he is now 18 and I don't have to put up with her rubbish any more.
Let me tell you I feel fantastic. The wicked witch is gone and out of my life and it feels great. Hence my new motto below. icon_smile.gif (the second one)

BTW your flowers ARE red and your armadillo is cute.

illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:48am
post #67 of 115

Wow, your cakes are amazing-and so beautiful! Congratulations on sticking up for yourself. She sounds like a monster-thank God she is not my mother or mother in law! Don´t stop doing weddings--your cakes are great

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:50am
post #68 of 115

Standing up and appluading!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! BEAUTIFUL cakes!!! I wonder what the bride would have said if she showed up for her wedding and there was no cake, no decoration, no anything and found out her grandmother had yelled everyone out of there? You probalby saved a relationship!!

You tell that Grandmazilla!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:29am
post #69 of 115

By the way, can I just ask out of curiosity, why did they have an Armadillo cake for their wedding?

loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:28am
post #70 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

By the way, can I just ask out of curiosity, why did they have an Armadillo cake for their wedding?

I get this request all the time from brides...I think they are just inspired by Steel Magnolias. I would love to know why THEY chose one as well....is there some kind of wedding tradition from it?
(they always want it bleeding red velvet as well)

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:48am
post #71 of 115

I'm sooo excited for you! You found the guts & told her, very professionally, just what needed to be said. You should be very proud of yourself, you did the right thing. thumbs_up.gif
Your cakes were gorgeous, as usual.

padawn71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
padawn71 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:32pm
post #72 of 115

Your cake is beautiful..please dont let this one person discourage you from continuing on... icon_biggrin.gif

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:43pm
post #73 of 115

1) Your cakes are wonderful. How could anybody complain except a grouchy old witch of a woman??

2) She would get a refund when Hades froze over and the demons skated on it.

3) You were firm, appropriate, and I say "WAY TO GO GIRL" !!!!

cakesgalore6373 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesgalore6373 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #74 of 115

Way to go by standing up for yourself. I had...a friend the same way. This was her way of getting refunds or discounts and then after she made a scene and left she would laugh at her success. icon_evil.gif I couldn't take her lack of morals and dropped the friendship.

Your cakes are beautiful. icon_biggrin.gif

I have only been doing cakes for about a year, but hope to be able to accomplish where you are today with your work.

You should be very proud of yourself, one for standing up for yourself, and two for your beautiful cakes. thumbs_up.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm
post #75 of 115

My first thought this morning when I woke up was OMG I actually told a customer to go get her cake at Albertson's. We joke about it all the time on here, but I actually said that! It makes it all worth it! icon_biggrin.gif I am super proud of myself.

I was talking to my mom last night, and she says she thinks that this woman's plan the whole time was to wrangle me out of money. This is the link the the first thread about her. She was a major PITA from day one. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=614537&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Today I am feeling good about the whole thing. I'm still expecting a call or whatever, but I will stay strong.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:58pm
post #76 of 115

If you have caller ID you could be conveniently "busy" when she calls icon_lol.gif But seriously, I agree with the other people who have said that she was given a chance to refuse the cake while it was being set up, and she said that they wanted it. That to me negates any kind of a request for a refund.

summernoelle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #77 of 115

Oh, I forgot to say for the people who asked-the Armadillo Groom's Cake is a southern thing from Steel Magnolias. In the movie, the Bride and her mom are very embarrassed that the groom wanted an armadillo for his cake, and that is kooky aunt was making it. Also, he wanted it to be red velvet, and they were laughing about how people would be "hacking" into this poor animal and it was going to look like it was bleeding. They are also appalled at how you could even make gray icing.
So at the wedding, they show this hideous thing, red on the inside, gross gray on the outside, and it is very funny. The dad is cutting it, and a woman he hates comes up for a slice, and he cuts off the butt and tells her "Hey there, how about a nice piece of a**".
So, I think it became a tradition in the southern areas. If you haven't seen the movie, it's pretty great.

loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #78 of 115

Hey summernoelle..I am doing my first armadillo cake in a couple of weeks. (I talked them into letting me doing it in fondant) Any hints?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:44pm
post #79 of 115

Summer, I am impressed with how you stood up to them. I just read your original post on this as well, and i can't even believe there are people in the world with the b***s to say such things and treat you like that. OMG!!! You handled it perfectly. Hey, can I borrow your backbone sometime? I'll think of you for my inspiration next time I have a hard time saying "no" to someone asking for a cake favor. The wedding cake is beautiful, perfect scroll work and I'm sure very red. The armidillo was actually cute, which I can imagine is not easy to do. Congrats on a great job and for standing up to yourself.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #80 of 115

Congrats Summer. That woman isn't just a b----h, she is, pure and simple, a bully. How do you deal with bullies, just the way you did. Calm, assertive and polite. Plus, whether you realized it or not, you had the whip hand. If she hadn't backed off, you could and would have taken the cakes and gone home.

Bullying is a control issue. She was trying to make herself feel important, and the only way bullies can do that is by denigrating others. Even calling someone over to check the color is a bully's trick. You didn't allow this bully to intimidate you or make you feel bad about yourself or your work. You knew your true worth. Notice at end she made a positive remark about the armadillo. She figured out that you were the one in control, and she had to "kiss up" to you.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #81 of 115

You handled the situation as a true professional, your a credit to the craft .Please don't allow this miserable person to rob you of your chosen career. Good luck.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #82 of 115

Hey Summernoelle,

I was just worrying about you this morning thinking about this bully MOB. I wanted to let you know I think the wedding cake was absolutely stunning. We put so much of ourselves into these cakes, so much planning and stressing and then someone acts like that and it really hurts deep. Hope you are okay! You can't quit doing weddings, you are just too good at it!

jo

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #83 of 115

WOW! Your cakes look great to me! What a horrible-foul old lady! Seriously, who did she think she was? Was she the one who paid for the cake?-just curious....

I'm not sure if I could have enough courage to tell some one that..but I if given the chance I hope I can.

I got my first wedding cake order for a friend of mine-she's getting married nex year so I have a ways to go. I dont think I would like to do allot of wedding cakes. Hearing some of the stories that have been told-well I dont know if I have it in me to handle all the stress.

But I think you handled yourself very well, and GOOD for you. Have you heard anything from the bride?

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:23pm
post #84 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Congrats Summer. That woman isn't just a b----h, she is, pure and simple, a bully. How do you deal with bullies, just the way you did. Calm, assertive and polite. Plus, whether you realized it or not, you had the whip hand. If she hadn't backed off, you could and would have taken the cakes and gone home.

Bullying is a control issue. She was trying to make herself feel important, and the only way bullies can do that is by denigrating others. Even calling someone over to check the color is a bully's trick. You didn't allow this bully to intimidate you or make you feel bad about yourself or your work. You knew your true worth. Notice at end she made a positive remark about the armadillo. She figured out that you were the one in control, and she had to "kiss up" to you.

I totally agree with this post. It had nothing to do with the cakes (which are totally awesome BTW) as she was also bullying the man hanging the decorations. I would hate to see how she treated the people doing the food catering... This was a person who needed to be taken down a peg and you did it in a polite, positive, and totally professional manner. You were the one totally in control, not her. You should be proud of yourself.

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:29pm
post #85 of 115

Summer - Even before I looked at the cake pics. I knew they would be perfect. Your stuff is always wonderful so DON'T let anyone tell you different.

You behaved in a completely professional, well-mannered way. If I ever find myself in that situation, I will remember what you did.

Bravo!

P.S. We are from Ontario, Canada and Steel Magnolias is one of our most Favourite movies of all time. The "Armadilla" is superb!

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #86 of 115

Oh WOW is all I can say! Your wedding cake is absolutely beautiful! And your armadillo really has a personality all his own. I just love him! I think this person is just one of those who can not be pleased or is only happy if everyone else is miserable. You were nothing but professional. I could only hope to handle the same situation 1/2 as well. Be proud of yourself and your work!

lgrtaust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lgrtaust Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:39pm
post #87 of 115

Your cakes were beautiful and it sounds like you handled yourself as a true professional. KUDOS to you!!!!!!!!!!!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #88 of 115

This whole thing smells of BBS (Blown Budget Syndrome).

If anyone dares to call/email about a refund, I hope you continue with the calm, yet firm approach you've displayed so far!

summernoelle Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #89 of 115

Thank you all so much.

No, I haven't heard anything today. (Haven't checked my caller ID yet though-I've been out all day). So, hopefully I won't. Like I said, I've been talking to my DH and mom about it, and they both feel like her plan was to bully vendors into giving her a discount. When I told her I would be taking the cakes with me, she decided to not mess with me anymore. Ahhhh. That's awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

Lorimoms: The armadillo was easy! I used the Wilton football pan for his body, rice krispies for the head. The scales on the back were cut out with the large, round end of a tip, and the scales on the face were made with the #5 tip at an angle, making imprints in the fondant. The eyes were from a small leaf cutter. The ears were just free formed. The tail is just a long rope of fondant. Really easy! I love him, too. icon_wink.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:01am
post #90 of 115

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif You done good summer!! Don't let anyone take your beautiful cake and tell it's less than what it was beautiful. Keep making wedding cakes too you are a wonderful decorator.

sari

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%