Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:01pm
post #2881 of 6536

There was a small thread yesterday asking for filling ideas, i posted a bunch and then got a few recipe requests, so I posted on my blog with my favorite recipes for lemon and orange curd, whipped cheesecake filling (a little bit different than MacsMoms, but not really), and brown sugar buttermilk cake

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:38pm
post #2882 of 6536

Would the orginial wasc recipe be okay with choc mixes? I dont have choc extract, and no idea where to find it! And dont have regular coffee mix!

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #2883 of 6536

I am soo jealous of all of the fee samples everyone has gotten from Amoretti. I remember reading that someone else from Canada was going to get samples, but they had to pay for the shipping, but I don't remember seeing if they ordered samples or how much the shipping was.. anyone have any idea? Thanks!

sayhellojana Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:17am
post #2884 of 6536

Please don't order samples if you don't plan to purchase the products. It's hurtful to the company, and takes advantage of their generosity.

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #2885 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Please don't order samples if you don't plan to purchase the products. It's hurtful to the company, and takes advantage of their generosity.

I do fully intend on purchasing in the future, however at this time I am not really experienced with the flavourings and cannot afford to spend a tonne on things that I don't know if they will work well for me or not. Plus being in Canada we have to pay duty and taxes etc on anything we order from the US so I really need to be sure about items before I invest in them. Sorry if my question came off in the wrong way. I am not the type to take advantage of a company in that way I am just trying to be fiscally responsible.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:43am
post #2886 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

Would the orginial wasc recipe be okay with choc mixes? I dont have choc extract, and no idea where to find it! And dont have regular coffee mix!

Are you talking about the chocolate recipe I submitted? It is made with choc cake mixes and you don't have to use the chocolate extract - just use vanilla instead.

And it calls for brewed coffee, but it can made with instant coffee (prepared just like you would make yourslef a cup of coffee). Decaf is fine. The only reason coffee is used is because it enhances the chocolate flavor, but it can be omitted, using water in it's place.

sayhellojana Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #2887 of 6536

I didn't mean to imply that you were, I just know what many, many people from CC got samples from them, but I am doubtful that all of those people had any intent to purchase, is all.

I know they shipped FedEx when I got them. Maybe you can check fedex shipping rates to canada?

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:45am
post #2888 of 6536

I'm from Canada and ordered from Amoretti. The did not charge me for shipping, they said they would but told me after I received the first one was free after that I had to pay, Fair enough.
They have called me and finally sent me a price list but I have yet to put in an order with them. Their stuff is good but I only bake for fun, family so it is a little to expensive for me. Your right about stuff coming here. I have to watch the stuff I buy because when I pay the extras its no longer a good deal.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2889 of 6536

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! These flavors all sound delicious. To the store I go!

basketlacey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basketlacey Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:16pm
post #2890 of 6536

sayhellojana -

I just saw your post about banana cake with dulce de lecha (sp?). I posted on page 193 about the butterscotch cake I made with carmel pecan frosting (the frosting recipe is linked in my post). I think that frosting would be FABULOUS on a banana cake! In fact, that is one of the next ones on my list to try. I already bought the banana pudding!

sayhellojana Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:23am
post #2891 of 6536

I'll take a look at the frosting recipe. I LOVE pecans, too, so it deffinantly sounds up my ally

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #2892 of 6536

I originally posted this maybe back in 2005:

Hostess® Twinkie Creme Filling

2 teaspoons very hot water
rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups marshmallow creme (1 7-ounce jar)
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine the salt with the hot water in a small bowl and stir until salt is dissolved. Let this mixture cool.

Combine the marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl and mix well with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy.
Add the salt solution to the filling mixture and combine.
Makes 1 1/2 cups.

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #2893 of 6536

I have a dilemma. I have to make 2 12-inch square red velvet cakes (2 layers each). I have a red velvet recipe that my mil gave me a while back (before I ever even got into caking) that is really yummy but I'm not sure it will be sturdy enough for decorating like the tried and true WASC. The recipe uses a butter recipe DH mix (says can not be substituted), eggs, red food coloring, baking soda, buttermilk, vanilla, vinegar, stick of marg., and a little cocoa.

I guess what I'm thinking is the buttermilk and vinegar are 2 things that might give the red velvet cake that red velvet flavor and they aren't included in the WASC version in the google doc. I feel torn--I kind of want to stick with what I know is yummy but I also want my cakes to be sturdy and easy to decorate (not to mention I need a lot of batter for 4 layers of 12 inch squares!).

So, what do ya'll think? Any suggestions? Thanks so much! This thread has been so amazing! It's defiently turned me into a WASC user (no matter what flavor cake I make) so you can see why I'm torn!! icon_rolleyes.gif

MacsMom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm
post #2894 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLady

Hostess® Twinkie Creme Filling

2 teaspoons very hot water
rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups marshmallow creme (1 7-ounce jar)
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2895 of 6536

If I add coconut milk to a mix should I cut back on the oil?

MacsMom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2896 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

If I add coconut milk to a mix should I cut back on the oil?

No. It would be similar to adding coconut flavored coffee creamer which also has a high fat content. The creamer actually adds better coconut flavor than the milk.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #2897 of 6536

Macs, it wasnt your chocolate recipe, just the regular wasc recipe. It says any mix, so I am hoping chocolate will be ok!

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #2898 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

Just a quick thought on the RV recipe - I made this and used it for a shower this past weekend. I got to have a piece of it and while it was VERY Good - I would suggest using Buttermilk for the liquid and adding some vinegar to the mix also (maybe a tsp for half recipe?) That's the only difference in all the other RV recipes that I've read. I think those two ingredients give the RV it's RV taste (JMO) I think next time I make it I will make those changes and see how it goes. Other then that mine turned out well!

Okay--I guess this is what I am thinking about doing too--has anyone tried this yet?

GrandmaG Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:08am
post #2899 of 6536

For my RV I always use yellow cake mix with chocolate pudding and buttermilk. I don't use vinegar unless I'm out of buttermilk then I add vinegar to milk or soy milk to make it sour. It really turns out good!

fievel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fievel Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:16am
post #2900 of 6536

Just wanted to let everyone know that Safeway has BC cake mix on sale for 79 cents this week!!

juleeab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleeab Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2901 of 6536

I really love the google document created from this thread and use it often. Is it up to date?

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2902 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeab

I really love the google document created from this thread and use it often. Is it up to date?

juleeab, the latest activity is at the very bottom. I always check there first in case I need to change my copies.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #2903 of 6536

Hi Everyone! I wanted to let you know that I made cosmopolitan WASC last night. OMG, sooooo good! I ate the trimmings off one cake and a cupcake that I made with the rest of the batter! It really did taste like a cosmo drink. I think nxt time I might just add some red food coloring to it so that the cake is red. I will be making the carmel frapuccino and white russian this weekend, I will let you know how it goes

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:53pm
post #2904 of 6536

Hi All,

I know that this has nothing to do with Red Velvet....but I have a question about cookies and cream filling and figured this is the best place to ask.

I can't get bettercream so is it ok to mix a package of cookies n'cream pudding mix into SMBC? If so at what stage would I add it?

I know that the goole doc. has a recipe but my mom loves SMBC and I am making her birthday cake..

Thanks

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #2905 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiegoddess

Hi All,

I know that this has nothing to do with Red Velvet....but I have a question about cookies and cream filling and figured this is the best place to ask.

I can't get bettercream so is it ok to mix a package of cookies n'cream pudding mix into SMBC? If so at what stage would I add it?

I know that the goole doc. has a recipe but my mom loves SMBC and I am making her birthday cake..

Thanks

I used the cookies and cream pudding in my buttercream for the c & c cake and it worked perfectly.

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2906 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats242

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiegoddess

Hi All,

Thanks

I used the cookies and cream pudding in my buttercream for the c & c cake and it worked perfectly.

Oh...but I don't know about in the SMBC...I'd be curious to know too. I just used it in regular buttercream.

GrandmaG Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #2907 of 6536

You can mix the cookies and cream pudding mix with 2 C whipping cream and whip together. Makes a great filling!

sayhellojana Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2908 of 6536

I use IMBC, but I know they are similar. I would mix the pudding with a TINY bit of milk, just enough to dissolve it, and add that in once the icing is done.

MacsMom Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #2909 of 6536

Okay. I knew it was bound to happen when I posted my flavor list in a very large public forum, but would the owner of this website
http://www.bamcakes.com/flavors.html
please at least change the wording and titles of your list so there is no confusion about copy-catting? This font ~ was even left in there... Orange Valencia is my personal favorite, but is it really also yours?

(My own flavor descriptions have already been changed)

Thanks.

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #2910 of 6536

Aww, that is so UNCOOL. Please respect the person that shares with us (MacsMom) and reword it at least. I know what you mean, it was copied word for word. No mention of the person who shared it all neither.

I feel you MacsMom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%