Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:02pm
post #2821 of 6536

Ladies, this topic is incredible!!!
When I found it, I had to stop at page 52. I came back and could not easily get back there. I either had to click on page 3 and keep clicking ... you know what I'm talking about(so anxious to get back to where I left off) it was taking too long. So I started from the last page (189) and just read backwards. I'm now on page 153. For the future is there a quicker way for me to pick up where I left off on these long topics.

Macsmom, You're a GEM!
I'm looking for your RV, Tarimisu, Orange creamsicle and Tropical Breeze recipes. I remember from way back in the earlier pages your favorite is the OC cake. Which is your favorite and your customers prefence between the Pina Colada or tropical breeze?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:17pm
post #2822 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Ladies, this topic is incredible!!!
When I found it, I had to stop at page 52. I came back and could not easily get back there. I either had to click on page 3 and keep clicking ... you know what I'm talking about(so anxious to get back to where I left off) it was taking too long. So I started from the last page (189) and just read backwards. I'm now on page 153. For the future is there a quicker way for me to pick up where I left off on these long topics.

Macsmom, You're a GEM!
I'm looking for your RV, Tarimisu, Orange creamsicle and Tropical Breeze recipes. I remember from way back in the earlier pages your favorite is the OC cake. Which is your favorite and your customers prefence between the Pina Colada or tropical breeze?

Here is the recipe file
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

If you simply copy the url in the address bar and paste it in a draft e-mail or word doc (or write it down)--or save it your favorites on your computer, that url will bring you back to the same page you left off.

I prefer the Tropic Breeze, but it really isn't so different from Pina Colada - just the banana flavor added. Tiramisu is another favorite.

cocobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobaby Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2823 of 6536

Just wondering if anyone has come up with a Banana Fosters recipe yet?

Wanda

MacsMom Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2824 of 6536

Who has tried the Torani (or other brand) beverage syrups and how much did you add - and did you lke the outcome?

I don't have LoRann peach in stock and a customer wants Peaches-n-Cream for this Monday, so I thought I'd go look for Torani peach flavor syrup to use instead of Kerns nectar.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2825 of 6536

I just got pistachio and mango lorann flavors today, my order came in from fon dant source dot com. my first time ordering from them, they shipped pretty quick and the prices weren't too horrible. I'm trying to talk a friend into wanting a pistachio cardamom layer on her cake I'm making next weekend. She can't decide on flavors and doesnt seem to understand that I need to buy ingredients, lol. What would you use for pistachio cardamom cake filling? I had thought coconut cream filling or maybe a pistachio pudding/frostin pride mix. Any ideas?

MacsMom Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:15pm
post #2826 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I just got pistachio and mango lorann flavors today, my order came in from fon dant source dot com. my first time ordering from them, they shipped pretty quick and the prices weren't too horrible. I'm trying to talk a friend into wanting a pistachio cardamom layer on her cake I'm making next weekend. She can't decide on flavors and doesnt seem to understand that I need to buy ingredients, lol. What would you use for pistachio cardamom cake filling? I had thought coconut cream filling or maybe a pistachio pudding/frostin pride mix. Any ideas?

I really like LoRann coconut with the white chocolate truffle filling and about a cup of Bettercreme folded in. Or use LoRann pistachio in the truffle filling instead of coconut if you have enough.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #2827 of 6536

I am starting my first experiment with some of the ideas I have found on here.

Can anyone tell me if the baking temps and times are the same for all the different cakes?

Thanks,
Katie

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 27 May 2009 , 10:57pm
post #2828 of 6536

Thanks Macsmom.
When halfing the recipes do I half the oil to. The rv recipe calls of 9 eggs and 1/3 c. of oil. How many eggs should I use 4 or 5?
Some of the recipes says 1/4 c oil you use 1/3 c in all the recipes right?
I know you recommend the wc truffle filling for the orange dreamsicle and I think the rv cake. What would you suggest for icing for the rv, od and tarimisu cakes? I was thinking white choc. bc for the first two. I'm sorry I know its been asked but what can I use instead of pastry pride and bettercream; I can't find it anywhere

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 27 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #2829 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Who has tried the Torani (or other brand) beverage syrups and how much did you add - and did you lke the outcome?

I don't have LoRann peach in stock and a customer wants Peaches-n-Cream for this Monday, so I thought I'd go look for Torani peach flavor syrup to use instead of Kerns nectar.

I tried the Torani Sugar Free Raspberry. IMHO, I didn't care for it. I thought it was too synthetic and left a chemical aftertaste. A good raspberry is hard to find -- next time I will use pureed raspberries instead. DO NOT put it into SMBC -- I knew I shouldn't have, but wanted to try a small amount and, like they say, oil and water don't mix!! Proved that one again!! icon_rolleyes.gif I do like the Torani White Chocolate Sauce used for Mocha Drinks. I mixed it with some Frostin' Pride and it was good!! Sweet, but good. I usually overdo, so this time I purposely underdid adding what I thought would work. If memory serves, I think I used about 2 c. Frostin Pride, one package white chocolate pudding, and around 1/2 c. white chocolate sauce. Melvira uses A LOT of sauce so I think you could easily get a stonger flavor with 1 - 1 1/2 c. of sauce. (I will be using it for the White Chocolate Macadameia Nut Cake sometime this next week.) Hope that helps a little!!

fievel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fievel Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:39am
post #2830 of 6536

Macsmom I used the sugar free white chocolate Torani syrup for a white chocolate raspberry cake. I think I used 2 cups of it in the recipe and it tasted great. It's hard to get a strong white chocolate flavor, but this did pretty well.

MacsMom Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:23am
post #2831 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Thanks Macsmom.
When halfing the recipes do I half the oil to. The rv recipe calls of 9 eggs and 1/3 c. of oil. How many eggs should I use 4 or 5?
Some of the recipes says 1/4 c oil you use 1/3 c in all the recipes right?
I know you recommend the wc truffle filling for the orange dreamsicle and I think the rv cake. What would you suggest for icing for the rv, od and tarimisu cakes? I was thinking white choc. bc for the first two. I'm sorry I know its been asked but what can I use instead of pastry pride and bettercream; I can't find it anywhere

When you halve the RV recipe, use 6 egg whites or 5 eggs.

I only decorate with fondant, so I can't help with BC - I only use it as a crumbcoat and I'm too lazy to make several separate batches so I tend to make one large butter-vanilla batch to use on several cakes at once. (I have 2 little ones so all my baking is done when they are in bed).

You can use homeade whipped cream in place of Bettercreme, but then it requires refrigeration. Dream Whip made with canned evaporated milk may be left out longer than whipped cream, but not for 24 hrs.

sayhellojana Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:28am
post #2832 of 6536

I still haven't tried the white chocolate truffle filling, and I've been meaning to! Sounds delicious. I think white chocolate mango would be awesome. thoughts? I'm hungry icon_smile.gif

Alioop12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alioop12345 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2833 of 6536

Can anyone tell me if Macsmom does anything special for the Andes Dream other than adding the Andes mints to the Choc WASC? Thanks! Also, how much of the mints? I was thinking of coursely chopping them and coating them in flour. TIA!

sayhellojana Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2834 of 6536

I made dulce de leche by boiling a can of condensed milk. I wasn't very good about adding water to the rim, so usually the water was closer to an inch down. I opened the can after it cooled and was totally disapointed because it was white like regular condensed milk. THEN, I stired it. About an inch down was a thick dark layer of creamy goodness. Oh my god. It is so good. This will make an AWESOME filling.

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:30pm
post #2835 of 6536
Quote:

I made dulce de leche by boiling a can of condensed milk. I wasn't very good about adding water to the rim, so usually the water was closer to an inch down. I opened the can after it cooled and was totally disapointed because it was white like regular condensed milk. THEN, I stired it. About an inch down was a thick dark layer of creamy goodness. Oh my god. It is so good. This will make an AWESOME filling.

How long did you boil the can for?

grannyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannyrose Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2836 of 6536

sayhellojana - I was told that the can of condensed milk should be completely covered by the boiling water for 2 reasons - the first is to make sure the whole can cooks, and, it is supposed to help prevent the can from exploding

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2837 of 6536

Question for MacsMom or anyone who might know? It may be on here and I have overlooked it, but do you have the recipe for MacsMom's Black Forest Cake? Especially the chocolate truffle & cherry filling?

thanks!

Kim040508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim040508 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2838 of 6536

Question for Macsmom if you're willing to share. How do you make the chocolate chip mousse that goes in the Decadent Chocolate cake? I've tried and I'm doing something wrong because mine is not becoming thick.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:17pm
post #2839 of 6536

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has tried the caramel frappuccino cake, I am thinking I want to make it for my bridal shower

TIA

MacsMom Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2840 of 6536
Quote:

Good to know - I'm going ot go do that right now!! thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2841 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim040508

Question for Macsmom if you're willing to share. How do you make the chocolate chip mousse that goes in the Decadent Chocolate cake? I've tried and I'm doing something wrong because mine is not becoming thick.

I add mini-chocolate chips to Bettercreme whipped with a pkg of white chocolate (or cheesecake) pudding mix. I whip the pudidng into the liquid 2lb container, then fold in the chips.

MacsMom Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2842 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop12345

Can anyone tell me if Macsmom does anything special for the Andes Dream other than adding the Andes mints to the Choc WASC? Thanks! Also, how much of the mints? I was thinking of coursely chopping them and coating them in flour. TIA!

I use a bag of the mints made for baking that are available around the holidays. If I don't have any in stock and they aren't in the stores, I buy mint baking chips from http://backtothecountrystore.com/cgi-local/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=BAKE&keywords=all

Yes, they need to be coated in flour. I also add a dramof LoRann creme de mente to the batter.

Alioop12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alioop12345 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2843 of 6536

thanks Macsmom... I didn't have the creme de mente so I used mint chocolate chip and a little peppermint extract. Thanks so much!

Kim040508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim040508 Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2844 of 6536

Thank you Macsmom, much easier than what I had been trying to do with the egg whites, chocolate and whipping cream. I am so glad you are willing to share your recipes with all of us!! You are AWESOME!!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #2845 of 6536
Quote:

Cinnamon Roll ~ Cinnamon swirl butter cake filled with sweet cream cheese.

How exactly do you make a cinnamon "swirl" cake? I'm using my basic scrach yellow cake.... can you please tell me how to flavor it to make it a cinnamon Swirl?

thank you. icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:54am
post #2846 of 6536

On boiling the condensed milk it takes about 2 hrs, some say 3 hrs, to get your caramel. Keep the can covered w/ water (I like to keep a pot I've run through the coffee maker so it doesn't have to heat up every time I add water). I also rotate my cans. If I do one can I use a small pot & "roll" it every 30 min. If I use a bigger pot & flip them using tongs. I do this after I had a similar experience to Jana's. It is always delicious though!

chachagyrl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chachagyrl22 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:28am
post #2847 of 6536

I made the banana wasc for cupcakes but the texture was like a muffin rather than a cake. I don't use the wasc cake recipe often and I was just wondering if it is more dense. I think I overbaked but I'm not sure. I made Orange Creamsicle cupcakes and they turned out excellent. Aslo should I be using AP flour? Thank you

sayhellojana Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:33am
post #2848 of 6536

I boiled the can for about 3 hours, but it was in hot water for an hour before I figured out that the small burner wasn't going to get it hot enough to boil.
The instructions I found online said to punch two small holes on the top of the can and keep water 1 cm from the top. Next time, I'm just going to boil the hole thing. Sounds like that is what most do.

MacsMom Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:01pm
post #2849 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Quote:

Cinnamon Roll ~ Cinnamon swirl butter cake filled with sweet cream cheese.

How exactly do you make a cinnamon "swirl" cake? I'm using my basic scrach yellow cake.... can you please tell me how to flavor it to make it a cinnamon Swirl?

thank you. icon_smile.gif

The recipes are here:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

I fill my pans 1/3 full, put the swirl mix in a piping bag and pipe a swirl over the batter, then top with more batter. I actually fill my pans less then normal since I don't torte the cinnamon.

MacsMom Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:15pm
post #2850 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by chachagyrl22

I made the banana wasc for cupcakes but the texture was like a muffin rather than a cake. I don't use the wasc cake recipe often and I was just wondering if it is more dense. I think I overbaked but I'm not sure. I made Orange Creamsicle cupcakes and they turned out excellent. Aslo should I be using AP flour? Thank you

When I make my banana recipe it is always so moist that it stays moist and fresh tasting even 3 days later. The 1/2 c butter and 3 bananas are responsible for that. I can only assume your cupcakes were overbaked (?).

And I use AP flour for that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%