Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:23pm
post #2791 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinmama87410

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

...I know! My mom brought me a recipe for honeycomb last night and my mind went immediately to. "How can I use crushed up honeycomb in a cake?" A honey cake?

1 dram of LoRann = 1 teaspoon. It is very concentrated flavoring so 1 dram is usually all you need to add to a double recipe like the WASC or to buttercream.

So when we are talking about using LoRann's oils is the candy oils? I got on their website and checked them out and those are the ones with all the flavors but they are super concentrated. Before I but any I just wanted to make sure I was getting the right thing.

I use all of their flavor types. They have different flavors in each category that they don't have in others, like Irish Cream for "chocolates", banana-coconut for "beverages", and cinnamon-chocolate for "coffees". They have a cardamom "essentiol oil" that I want to try in the pistachio cake.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2792 of 6536

Oh, alright Chass, just for you icon_wink.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #2793 of 6536

WOW! I haven't gone through the whole thing yet, but I'm so glad that I found this thread!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #2794 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayeG

I was wondering if I could get some ideas how to put the Turtle cake together .. I was thinking 2 layers with the caramel and middle layer with the fudge .. is that correct?? And my biggest question is with the pecans .. Do you add them to the cake batter? or sprinkle them onto the caramel? or mix them into it? Or is it the fudge?? Ive eaten very few turtles so Im at a loss! How would YOU do it!?
Any help would be so apprieciated! TIA!

I do the filling by spreading the caramel on first, sprinkling on the pecans, then covering them with the fudge filling that I soften in the micro so that it spreads easy over the pecans.

Thank you so much MacsMom! That wasnt anything like I assumed .. I even went last night and bought me a turtle to try and figure it out .. didnt help, but sure was YUMMY!! Aww - what we do for our cakes!! icon_wink.gif
Thanks again - that helped alot!!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #2795 of 6536

Jana, is your tri-vanilla cake made with your scratch yellow cake recipe?
Love your blog!

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2796 of 6536

The thick cream filling is Bettercreme, and for Graham cracker cake I use the WASC recipe but I use: 1 cup flour, 1 c ground graham crackers, 2 c brown sugar, and the rest of the WASC recipe remains the same.

That was a quote from macsmom ( not sure why it didnt show as a quote)

Macsmom... do you use white cake mix for this reciepe?

sayhellojana Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #2797 of 6536

Aw, thanks Macsmom! I'm just doing it for fun but I really want to try blogging more often. Yes, that is Serious_Cake's recipe. I absolutely love that recipe because it uses shortening. I was totally off-put by the shortening at first. I was like, gross?! BUT, shortening is more solid and has a higher melting point than butter, so the recipe has more liquid than buttercakes do, which gives me more room to flavor with different liquids and purees. Plus, shortening really doesn't have a flavor, whereas butter does. And, that cake isn't yellow at all. It always turns out nice and light for me.
Woah! Major rant. lol.

I was trying to find a good caramel recipe that is spreadable and cutable but thick enough to keep a slice of cake together. I remember reading on CC that you can make dulce de leche by boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk for a few hours, did a little googling, told me the same thing. Has anyone tried this? Is it good?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2798 of 6536

I have boiled many cans of condensed milk. It is very yummy but I don't know that it will be as solid as you like. If you cut & serve the cake right away it would be ok, but if it'll sit then it will run. I use this as my caramel pie (graham cracker crust) ---oh just try it, tastes just like O Charley's. But after it sits it kinda runs into the pan where you've cut it. Still tastes yummy though. Hmmm I may make a quick sinful dessert for our cookout!

sayhellojana Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2799 of 6536

Hum, bummer. I read that the longer you boil it the darker and thicker it gets. How long do you boil for? I'm going to try it. Worst case senario I'll have ice cream sundaes icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 25 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #2800 of 6536

I melt 2 bags of caramels with a can of sweetened condensed milk in the microwave - works like a charm. If it is too thick upon cooling, I'll soften it in the micro and stir in a little corn syrup.

GrandmaG Posted 25 May 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2801 of 6536

Is boiling the can of condensed milk better than the regular dulce de leche?

Alioop12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alioop12345 Posted 25 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #2802 of 6536

would someone mind posting the Rainbowlicious recipe? I don't see it on the google doc. Thakns

Also, I made one of the lemon cake recipes with lemon curd filling. I LOVE tart lemon so I made a lemon BC frosting. It was awesome but the cake didn't rise much. I'm thinking too much sugar from the lemonade?

SilCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilCakes Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:16pm
post #2803 of 6536

GrandmaG, the longer you cook the condensed milk, the harder the dulce de leche will become.
everyone, just be careful! don't open it until completely cool.
thumbs_up.gif

sayhellojana Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2804 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop12345

would someone mind posting the Rainbowlicious recipe? I don't see it on the google doc. Thakns

Also, I made one of the lemon cake recipes with lemon curd filling. I LOVE tart lemon so I made a lemon BC frosting. It was awesome but the cake didn't rise much. I'm thinking too much sugar from the lemonade?

Not really a recipe, just add coloring to cake batter. I think most people use vanilla WASC

Alioop12345 Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #2805 of 6536

thanks. I guess I meant instructions for the Rainbowlicious. I found it though. Thanks so much for responding though!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:36am
post #2806 of 6536

Hi I know this is ridiculous but I am making the orange dreamsicle again and I cant remember how many drams of Lorann orange I added last time. for 1Tablespoon would that be 2drams or just stick with one??

Also I would like to try the vanilla mousse this time with the dreamsicle instead of the white choc truffle. Is it just pudding mixed with heavy cream instead of milk? Thanks!!

sayhellojana Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:47am
post #2807 of 6536

the vanilla mousse is bettercream, I bet.

GrandmaG - I just realised that I wrote MacsMom instead of GrandmaG a few posts back. Sorry! I am SUCH a clutz somtimes

MacsMom Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2808 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Hi I know this is ridiculous but I am making the orange dreamsicle again and I cant remember how many drams of Lorann orange I added last time. for 1Tablespoon would that be 2drams or just stick with one??

Also I would like to try the vanilla mousse this time with the dreamsicle instead of the white choc truffle. Is it just pudding mixed with heavy cream instead of milk? Thanks!!

1 dram of LoRann orange or 2 tsp regular orange extract.
And yes, the vanilla mousse is Frostin Pride (thicker and a stronger vanilla flavor than Bettercreme). I whip it with white chocolate pudding mix to make it more like mousse.

juleeab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleeab Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2809 of 6536

I just purchased Pre-Whiped Bettercream at Sams Club (can't find the Frostin Pride) and am eager to use it. I have a couple of questions.

#1 I understand if I use it with pudding mixes I use 1 box with a cup of milk and fold in or I can use other flavorings like the torani syrups. My concern is when I add the milk will it ruin if I leave it out? The cake I am doing this weekend will need to be left for 2 or 3 days before I get it to the site. The reason I was really excited about the Bettercream is I could leave it out for a few days while I decorate.

#2 I would love to know more about how to use it, can any one share ideas?

GrandmaG Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:48pm
post #2810 of 6536

Here is a thread talking all about Bettercreme! thumbs_up.gif
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-601193-0.html

MacsMom Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2811 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeab

I just purchased Pre-Whiped Bettercream at Sams Club (can't find the Frostin Pride) and am eager to use it. I have a couple of questions.

#1 I understand if I use it with pudding mixes I use 1 box with a cup of milk and fold in or I can use other flavorings like the torani syrups. My concern is when I add the milk will it ruin if I leave it out? The cake I am doing this weekend will need to be left for 2 or 3 days before I get it to the site. The reason I was really excited about the Bettercream is I could leave it out for a few days while I decorate.

Don't add milk, just the dry pudding mix.

There is a thread called "Bettercreme Fun" - another addictive one:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601193-bettercreme.html+fun

juleeab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleeab Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #2812 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

How much Bettercrem per box of pudding mix?

MacsMom Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2813 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How much Bettercrem per box of pudding mix?

Umm... I whip mine into a 2lb container of the liquid. I used to whip a pkg of pudding into a small container of Cool Whip, but Bettercreme is a bit thicker, so I'd guess and say 4 cups.

Alioop12345 Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:30pm
post #2814 of 6536

I have a couple of questions. I would like to make a chai cake next week. Is Pacific Chai (powdered) ok to use? Shouold I make it into a liquid to use it?

Also, I bought a box of powdered dream whip. Would I be able to use this in place of Frostin Pride for the cheesecake filling?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:51pm
post #2815 of 6536

For horchata cuppies I made I had to use the powdered b/c they didn't have the concentrate at Walmart. I just mixed it with water (but made it stronger than recommended on the directions). I'm sure you could go either way w/ it.

For those of you looking for cardamom (or other spices), ck your health food store if you have one. I went in to get something else & had totally forgotten they carried loose spices. Browsing through I came across cardamom. Sweet Baby James, I got about 2 T for 22 cents. That definitely beats the $11 for a small jar at Kroger & this way I can try it to see if I like it. Oh, I'll be going back for many other spices too icon_smile.gif

Alioop12345 Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2816 of 6536

Forgot to mention that I stopped by a local cupcake bakery today to sample a few flavors...It's called the Flying Cupcake (they have a website). The black forest was to die for. I really wanted to try the Bee's Knee's but didn't (Light pear flavor with a honey frosting... I think)

sayhellojana Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #2817 of 6536

I found cardamom cheap at World Market. Not the jar, in the little plastic packets. It came with several ounces. $1.99 for cardamom + $.99 for a jar vs. $13.99 cardamom (that didn't even have as much color, meaning it was older/poor quality). Ha, I'll take my cheap stuff any day.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:47am
post #2818 of 6536

Thanks for the tips on the cardamom! I have bought the seeds at an Indian market- but its a pain to crush.
Jana- have you tried Melvira's caramel recipe? It's the best!

sayhellojana Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:18am
post #2819 of 6536

I keep hearing awesome things about her recipe, I'm eager to try it.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:46pm
post #2820 of 6536

Hi Everyone icon_smile.gif
So, I went a little nuts yesterday buying cake supplies online since I needed a little "retail therapy". Just found out I might not have a caterer for my wedding (in 3 months!), so I was a bit upset as you can imagine and needed some cheering up. So I bought a bunch of stuff to make my own bridal shower cake (since I can't make my wedding cake). I bought 4 bottles of LoAnn flavorings; Cappuccino, Irish Cream, Pralines and Cream and Keoke Coffee. I wanted to make a 3-tiered cake, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for 3 types of cake using some of these flavours. I thought maybe one of them could be White Russian. Mmmmmmm. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%