Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2761 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinmama87410

If some of these fillings need to be refrigerated and are in a huge cake how do you keep cold until serving. I bake out of my home and only have one fridge so i'm curious. When does a cake need to be kept refridgerated I'm a food poisioning phobic. Thanks

I gave a little info on this a few pages back. Couldn't be more than five or six.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:34am
post #2762 of 6536

does anyone have a Pina colada wasc recipe ?

I didnt see one in the google doc icon_confused.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #2763 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBear

does anyone have a Pina colada wasc recipe ?

I didnt see one in the google doc icon_confused.gif

Pina Colada
2 white cake mixes
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1 pkg coconut pudding mix
2 c sour cream
1 1/2 c Pina Colada drink mix
1/2 c pineapple juice
2/3 c Malibu Rum  
6 eggs
1/4 c oil
2 t coconut extract
2 t pineapple extract
(*or 2 drams LoRann Pina Colada)

sayhellojana Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:01am
post #2764 of 6536

The pina colada lorann is awesome in homemade marshmallows - so, so good.

MacsMom Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2765 of 6536

I don't remember if Melvira's Malted Cuppies made it to this thread or thread. It's not WASC, but it would be easy enough to adapt to it if you wanted to. (It was just re-posted in the "Bettercreme Fun" thread)...

"This is a very simple 'doctored mix' recipe, but trust me... it gets LOTS of addicts banging on your door!" ~ Melvira

Malted Cuppies Take Over Earth!!
1 Devil's Food Cake mix
1 pkg Devil's Food Jell-O pudding mix
1/4 c. Carnation malt powder (chocolate or vanilla)
1 Tablespoon Hershey's cocoa powder
4 eggs
1 1/8 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons vanilla
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix all ingredients to moisten, then scrape sides of the bowl and beat on medium for 1 minute. (Batter will be THICK!) Scoop into cupcake liners or nut cups. Place in oven and immediately drop oven temp to 350 degrees. (If you bake in multiple batches, raise temp back to 400 between batches.) Bake for approximately 18 minutes, or until done. Yields 24-28 cupcakes.

Malted Filling
2 cups Bettercreme
1/2 cup Hersheys Whoppers Malt Syrup

POur both ingredients into mixing bowl, whip to semi-stiff peaks. Fill cooled cupcakes. Will fill 24-28 cupcakes.

Malted Ganache
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 Tablespoons malt powder or Hersheys Whoppers Malt Syrup
1 cup mini Nestle morsels

Heat whipping cream to boiling, add malt powder and stir to dissolve. Add chocolate and stir until smooth. (Strain if needed to insure smooth texture with no lumps.) Dip tops of filled cupcakes in ganache, allow to set, then decorate with leftover filling. Will cover 24-28 cupcakes depending on how thick you coat them. If you prefer, you can make additional filling and ice cupcakes with the Bettercreme instead of ganache.

sayhellojana Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2766 of 6536

I made my first WASC varriation. (I've made original WASC once before, too). I made the orange dreamsicle in cupcake form. It was good. I'm no convert, I still prefer scratch, but they had a nice flavor and were pretty easy. I made them with little girls I was babysitting. They had a lot of fun and liked them, too.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #2767 of 6536

i have made the malted cupcakes and malted choc icing and they are AWESOME, people gobbled them right up! i don't have access to bettercream so i just iced them my regular choc bc with malted syrup added but they're oh so yummy i promise, with a malted ball on top.

Gama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gama Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:26pm
post #2768 of 6536

What a great topic!!! So much info.I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for a recipe for the chocolate covered banana cake. I've read this topic to page 18 ,i think and can't find it. My pregnant daughter wants this for tomorrow : ( I think I am running out of time. thank you!

sayhellojana Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2769 of 6536

The link for the google doc is in MacsMom's signature. All kinds of recipes there

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #2770 of 6536

OK, I'm still readin this thread after a little over an hour.. so if these questions were asked somewhere and I haven't gotten to ithem yet, I apologize in advance.

I've never used the WASc before, but this thread has inspired me to try it, but I want to ramp it up. I've always used the 'durable Cake' recipe here for almost everything.
1. Can I use pureed fruit (peaches) in the batter and if so, does it replace the liquid or what?
2. I have some Passion fruit frozen concentrate in the freezer. Can I use this in place of the liquid and if so, full strength or watered down?
3. How much batter does this make?

Thank you all so much, now I'm back to reading!
icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:25am
post #2771 of 6536

1. It depends on how thick they are. I don't use WASC, I modify a scratch recipe the same way though. If the mixture has enough water so that it moves when you tip the measuring cup, I'd replace the liquid
2. liquid, full strength
3. the CC recipe page has info on that. I made a half batch and got 40 cupcakes

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #2772 of 6536

Ah, thank you for the speedy reply!
Does using the concentrate or puree make the cake stciky and is it still ok for carving?

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:48am
post #2773 of 6536

I made the s'mores cake for my son's teachers. I had enough batter that we had a small one to enjoy this weekend. I baked them in my Magic Line pans and they were perfect!!!! The cake was so moist!!!! I used marshmallow creme and chocolate ganache as a filling. I used a mashmallow buttercream. It was so good!!

sayhellojana Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #2774 of 6536

you know I can't say because I've only tried WASC twice, neither time with a concentrate. When I bake with juice concentrates from scratch, I have no problems.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2775 of 6536

I was wondering if I could get some ideas how to put the Turtle cake together .. I was thinking 2 layers with the caramel and middle layer with the fudge .. is that correct?? And my biggest question is with the pecans .. Do you add them to the cake batter? or sprinkle them onto the caramel? or mix them into it? Or is it the fudge?? Ive eaten very few turtles so Im at a loss! How would YOU do it!?
Any help would be so apprieciated! TIA!

cookinmama87410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmama87410 Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:20pm
post #2776 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

...I know! My mom brought me a recipe for honeycomb last night and my mind went immediately to. "How can I use crushed up honeycomb in a cake?" A honey cake?

1 dram of LoRann = 1 teaspoon. It is very concentrated flavoring so 1 dram is usually all you need to add to a double recipe like the WASC or to buttercream.

So when we are talking about using LoRann's oils is the candy oils? I got on their website and checked them out and those are the ones with all the flavors but they are super concentrated. Before I but any I just wanted to make sure I was getting the right thing.

sayhellojana Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #2777 of 6536

Yep, cookinmama, you'll find better deals from other websites, though. I just ordered some from fond ant source dot com. remove spaces and insert a period for dot. CC blocks the link. use code "cakecentral" for ten percent off.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #2778 of 6536

I'm gonna have to suck it up & try the wasc recipe. I havent yet, so hopefully I dont screw it up! This thread is turning into as big as the cupcake thread! lol

cookinmama87410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmama87410 Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:44pm
post #2779 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Yep, cookinmama, you'll find better deals from other websites, though. I just ordered some from fond ant source dot com. remove spaces and insert a period for dot. CC blocks the link. use code "cakecentral" for ten percent off.

Thanks so much for the tip. One other question, since they are so strong do we interchange them tsp for tsp or do we use less of the LoRanns oils?

sayhellojana Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:45pm
post #2780 of 6536

They are strong, but generally 1 dram for 1 cake is a good amount.

Rayetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rayetta Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:31pm
post #2781 of 6536

I just discovered this topic today and have literally spent the last 3 hours scrolling through all 187 pages! So much great information! Thanks all for sharing.

The one thing I could not find was the recipe for Butter Pecan ~ Rich, buttery cake with candied pecans, caramel and whipped cheesecake filling that someone mentioned. Where can I find this?

lat1nacurv3s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lat1nacurv3s Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #2782 of 6536

Hi All, Can the recipes be used for cupcakes too?? I make jumbo cuppies and am always looking for a "flavor of the month" to experiment with. Thanks!

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:33am
post #2783 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lat1nacurv3s

Hi All, Can the recipes be used for cupcakes too?? I make jumbo cuppies and am always looking for a "flavor of the month" to experiment with. Thanks!

Hi I make the Wasc all the time into cupcakes. I'm sure the flavored wasc would work too.
Happy Baking!

nepabride Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nepabride Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:51am
post #2784 of 6536

What kind of filling do you use in the Orange Dreamsicle Cake? How about in the Pina Colada cake?

sayhellojana Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #2785 of 6536

MacsMom uses vanilla mousse in the orange dreamsicle. The pina colada would be good with coconut cream or pineapple.

ktm00n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktm00n Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:13am
post #2786 of 6536

One of my favorite flavors is a strawberry cake, soaked with rum-flavored simple syrup (use rum extract if you're worried about alcohol, even though it's a seriously small amount) with either mango- or passion fruit-flavored buttercream filling. (I use frozen Goya puree that is thawed for the mango or passionfruit buttercream). It sounds crazy, but it is seriously amazing.

I also make a White Russian Cake with vanilla cake (you can use a little vanilla vodka to replace part of the water), soaked with kahlua simple syrup, and filled with kahula buttercream.

sayhellojana Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:24am
post #2787 of 6536

I just baked a brownsugar buttermilk cake and WOW! The flavor is awesome. I hardly used any vanilla. Just the brown sugar and the smoothness of the buttermilk really shines through. I've never made it before, but I'll be making it again!

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:29pm
post #2788 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I just baked a brownsugar buttermilk cake and WOW! The flavor is awesome. I hardly used any vanilla. Just the brown sugar and the smoothness of the buttermilk really shines through. I've never made it before, but I'll be making it again!

That sounds so good!!!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #2789 of 6536

That does sound good Jana, will there be pics on your blog???

MacsMom Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #2790 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayeG

I was wondering if I could get some ideas how to put the Turtle cake together .. I was thinking 2 layers with the caramel and middle layer with the fudge .. is that correct?? And my biggest question is with the pecans .. Do you add them to the cake batter? or sprinkle them onto the caramel? or mix them into it? Or is it the fudge?? Ive eaten very few turtles so Im at a loss! How would YOU do it!?
Any help would be so apprieciated! TIA!

I do the filling by spreading the caramel on first, sprinkling on the pecans, then covering them with the fudge filling that I soften in the micro so that it spreads easy over the pecans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%