Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:47pm
post #2971 of 6536

I don't have access to bettercream so I was thinking about trying what others have suggested--making an alternative with dream whip and evaporated milk. Has anyone actually done this? And is it any good?

I was wanting to make a mock-cheesecake filling this way. I'm thinking about using evaporated milk, jell-o's cheescake pudding mix, and the dream whip. What do ya'll think? Any thoughts? I need this to be stable enough to sit out for a while...thanks!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:26am
post #2972 of 6536

you're going to want to add some cream cheese, too, because cheesecake pudding isn't realy cheesecakey on it's own.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:30am
post #2973 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilikina_24

I don't have access to bettercream so I was thinking about trying what others have suggested--making an alternative with dream whip and evaporated milk. Has anyone actually done this? And is it any good?

I was wanting to make a mock-cheesecake filling this way. I'm thinking about using evaporated milk, jell-o's cheescake pudding mix, and the dream whip. What do ya'll think? Any thoughts? I need this to be stable enough to sit out for a while...thanks!

A better mock-cheesecake is white chocolate truffle filling with some of the concoction you wrote of above (Dream Whip) folded in. It won't last 3 days out, but one day should be fine.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:24am
post #2974 of 6536

bobwonderbuns, you are amazing! I have 2 quick questions if anyone could answer them for me: 1. When you say a white cake box mix is that like a buttercake mix/vanilla cake mix? and 2. Do you follow the instructions on the box (like add the eggs, water and butter) and then add the extra things in the recipe or do you only use the dry ingredients from the box and then procede like the listed ingredients are the rest of the recipe and ignore what the box says to add? Thanks so much!

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:54pm
post #2975 of 6536

Thanks so much macsmom and jana!!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #2976 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

bobwonderbuns, you are amazing! I have 2 quick questions if anyone could answer them for me: 1. When you say a white cake box mix is that like a buttercake mix/vanilla cake mix? and 2. Do you follow the instructions on the box (like add the eggs, water and butter) and then add the extra things in the recipe or do you only use the dry ingredients from the box and then procede like the listed ingredients are the rest of the recipe and ignore what the box says to add? Thanks so much!

A white cake mix is just that - white. Vanilla would work, but the cakes wouldn't turn out exactly the same - some of them might even be better. I wouldn't recommend using a butter cake mix, but there may be someone who has used them successfully with the "gourmet" recipes.

Follow the recipes exactly. Don't add anything that isn't listed in the recipe.

MacsMom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2977 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

A white cake mix is just that - white. Vanilla would work, but the cakes wouldn't turn out exactly the same - some of them might even be better. I wouldn't recommend using a butter cake mix, but there may be someone who has used them successfully with the "gourmet" recipes.

Follow the recipes exactly. Don't add anything that isn't listed in the recipe.

Yep, dry cake mix. Butter cakes bake weird (sink) and just do not taste as good as white. I've discovered Marliss butter emulsion at Fondant Source .com that tastes fabulous in a baked cake and in buttercream - I add it to Red Velvet, too, and the flavor is awesome!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2978 of 6536

Hi, wondering about any of the gourmet cake recipes that call for yogurt. Seems like the time I substituted the yogurt for the sour cream the cake was kind of rubbery. Anyone experience that. Maybe not enough fat? I used the WASC with the yogurt substitution only (kakeladi version-whole eggs was used).

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:31am
post #2979 of 6536

So, do you guys actually have a cake mix called white cake mix in America? We don't have that here which is why I guessed the other. Darn! I wish we had the same access to the ingredients you do so I could try these flavours!

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:33am
post #2980 of 6536

I'm so excited! Today at my local bulk food store I found LorAnn flavourings!!! They are $1.99 for a dram which I know is more that some people have posted they get them for, but that is in Canadian $$ and I don't have to worry about any shipping. I have decided I am going to get root beed and a couple others to try for some recipes next week! They also have a few other ingredients that I didn't think they did so I am super excited!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:08am
post #2981 of 6536

Congrats on finding the LoRanns! I know how exciting that is, I remember when I found Bettercreme - I just wanted to run through the store telling everyone!! Thank goodness I was able to control myself! icon_lol.gif

Melissa

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:44pm
post #2982 of 6536

I want to make truffle filling for a cake tommorrow, wondering if it can be left out. Does it need to be in the fridge because of the cream cheese?

I would hate for co-workers to get sick

Thanks
Katie

MacsMom Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #2983 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

Hi, wondering about any of the gourmet cake recipes that call for yogurt. Seems like the time I substituted the yogurt for the sour cream the cake was kind of rubbery. Anyone experience that. Maybe not enough fat? I used the WASC with the yogurt substitution only (kakeladi version-whole eggs was used).

Never had that problem. Was it fat-free yogurt?

MacsMom Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #2984 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiekatiekatie

I want to make truffle filling for a cake tommorrow, wondering if it can be left out. Does it need to be in the fridge because of the cream cheese?

I would hate for co-workers to get sick

Thanks
Katie

It can be left out because of the high sugar content. It's the same premise behind ganache with heavy cream and chocolate - somehow the chocolate stabilizes the cream.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #2985 of 6536

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! THANK YOU!!!

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:36pm
post #2986 of 6536

I couldn't find a Lemon Poppyseed recipe that sounded like what I wanted, so I modified the oil WASC to suit my needs and it turned out really well, so I though I'd share it. icon_smile.gif

1 box white cake mix
1 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 box lemon pudding (I totally don't think it needed the pudding, however, I didn't have any lemon extract and was worried it wouldn't be lemony enough, so...)
½ t salt
4 eggs
2 tbsp veg oil
2 heaping tbsp poppy seeds
2/3 c water
2/3 c lemon juice
zest of 2 lemons
1 cup sour cream

I iced it with a delicious almond sour cream icing from women's day dot com:

3/4 c butter
6 tbsp sour cream
5 c powdered sugar
1-2 t almond extract

Just thought I'd share. icon_biggrin.gif

juleeab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleeab Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #2987 of 6536

I am going to be making the WASC Strawberry version cake this weekend for a grooms cake and birthday cake. I want to do a strawberry filling using "bettercream". I will be making the cake Thursday or early Friday and it will be delievered on Saturday. Since I am making it 2 or 3 days ahead of time can I am afraid to use fresh strawberries in the filling. I have considered using the Strawberry Cream Cheese filling that is listed on the google document for this thread but again it is going to be out 3 days. What is the best strawberry filling for a cake that will set out 3 days? I would prefer to use fresh strawberries or even a preserve. Please HELP!

MacsMom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2988 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeab

I am going to be making the WASC Strawberry version cake this weekend for a grooms cake and birthday cake. I want to do a strawberry filling using "bettercream". I will be making the cake Thursday or early Friday and it will be delievered on Saturday. Since I am making it 2 or 3 days ahead of time can I am afraid to use fresh strawberries in the filling. I have considered using the Strawberry Cream Cheese filling that is listed on the google document for this thread but again it is going to be out 3 days. What is the best strawberry filling for a cake that will set out 3 days? I would prefer to use fresh strawberries or even a preserve. Please HELP!

I order pastry filling sleeves online (because they are shelf stable), but you probably don't have time for that. Unless you can find them at a baker's supply store in town (?).

Otheriwse, you could use strawberry preserves mixed in with Bettercreme or mixed in with the white chocolate truffle filling. Some have suggested adding plain gelatin into strawberry preserves...

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #2989 of 6536

Macsmom,
I made your chocolate chip cookies. Tastes great. I should've asked you before starting to bake, but was too late. I baked them at 375 for about 12 minutes. They are definitely cooked and delicious, but didn't spread at all. Should I have flattened them out a bit before baking. Also, one batch will be too much for my house, so I froze the dough. Have you done this before and if yes, do I thaw it in refrigerator and bake them as usual? Sorry lots of questions. Thanks a lot for that recipe. My kids almost finished half of what I baked in less than 30 minutes.

MacsMom Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2990 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valli_War

Macsmom,
I made your chocolate chip cookies. Tastes great. I should've asked you before starting to bake, but was too late. I baked them at 375 for about 12 minutes. They are definitely cooked and delicious, but didn't spread at all. Should I have flattened them out a bit before baking. Also, one batch will be too much for my house, so I froze the dough. Have you done this before and if yes, do I thaw it in refrigerator and bake them as usual? Sorry lots of questions. Thanks a lot for that recipe. My kids almost finished half of what I baked in less than 30 minutes.

Lol, I just baked a batch yesterday, too! I think they need more sugar, but my neighbors loved them. I made a note to myself to increase the sugar and brown sugar by 1/4 cup each. I use margarine and they flattened perfectly; not too flat, not too cake-like. Adding more sugar will probably help them flatten a bit more.

Yes, the dough can be frozen. It's actuallly best to roll it into a log before freezing--then you can just slice and bake! Otherwise, you will have to soften the dough in the fridge for a bit.

I bake mine at 350 for 12 mins icon_wink.gif .

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2991 of 6536

Thanks Macsmom. I did make a log out of the left over dough and froze. I used half butter and half shortening. Maybe that's why they didn't go flat the way they should. It is not very cake like, but still puffy.

Thanks for answering all my questions.

Alioop12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alioop12345 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 9:54pm
post #2992 of 6536

Just anted to post that I made the Rasberry Chocolate Truffle cake last week with a few changes. I used the Hershey's Meltaways in the cake batter (YUM!) and for the filling, I used white chocolate truffle, covered in Rasberry buttercream. It was really good and my Dad enjoyed it!

I also made the Almod Joy. I made a Mounds version and it was good too. I definately liked the Ras cake better though. Thanks Macsmom! They were delish!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #2993 of 6536

Macsmom I need your help ASAP please! I got a last minute order at 11 am this morning for a cake needed tomorrow morning 8 am. I was just now prepping to make your orange creamsicle cake and dropped the last of my flour and sugar off the table. ( I know, I'm an idiot) My problem is that I'm home alone waiting for an inspection and the phone company. I can't leave the house for several hours and I have a class tonight at 6. I need to start this cake now; so that I can freeze for a couple of hours before I leave (thaw in frig while I'm gone) so when I come home after my class I can start to decorate and hopefully finish tonight. Without the flour and sugar, what should the measurements be for the sherbet, soda, yogart, oil and flavoring (I'm using the full recipe)? Help soon please, TIA! Please can you share your recipe for pineapple cheesecake filling?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2994 of 6536

Boy that pineapple cheesecake filling does sound good -- go ahead, share it with us!! icon_lol.gif

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2995 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Boy that pineapple cheesecake filling does sound good -- go ahead, share it with us!! icon_lol.gif

Nummmy! I second that!!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #2996 of 6536

I third that!!! That sounds awfully tasty!!
thumbs_up.gif

Melissa

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:49am
post #2997 of 6536

Im forthing that! (if there is such a thing!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:14pm
post #2998 of 6536

Can anyone tell me how long the truffle filling is good for in the fridge? I made some 2 weeks ago and I am wondering if I should toss it. Thanks!

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2999 of 6536

I'm glad you asked that! I tried to find out a couple weeks ago with no luck icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3000 of 6536

pouchet - my guess is that its good as long as your cream cheese is

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%