Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:21am
post #1051 of 6536

Happy Belated Birthday Macsmom!!! I havent been in to read this thread in a while and I can spnd hours rerading everything. I have a question maybe u can answer for me...........I cant seem to find Bettercreme so can I substitute this for dreamwhip? Im not sure but have seen some posts where cc'ers are discussing dreamwhip? That my grocery store carries, or am I better off with cool-whip? Thanks so much for all your devotion to this thread.

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:31am
post #1052 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbyA

Macsmom, do you have a good recipe for 'limoncello cake' ??? or anyone???
Cbya

Oh Yes! I would love a Limoncello recipe I have friends who make their own and a b-day cake in this flavor would be right up their alley!!

Macsmom
I don't think your Lemon Drop recipe has been posted, but could that be converted to a limoncello cake???????

Lexianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexianne Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:30am
post #1053 of 6536

Took me about four and half hours (when I should have been doing my college hw...midterms next week thumbsdown.gif ) but i read through this entire thread! Everything sounds sooo amazing!

I had an idea for a cake...not sure how to make it a reality though...

My favorite ice cream is chocolate chip cookie dough. Any ideas on how to make it a cake?

I was also thinking, (this idea is similar to the mint cake already posted but)

I was thinking mint cake, tinted green (like the ice cream) with chocolate chips, with the bettercream filling with the thin-mint cookies crushed in it. Any ideas on this too?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:36am
post #1054 of 6536

Making it green reminds me more of creme de menthe And when Thin Mints are no longer avaliable, the Keebler grasshopper are pretty much the same. Sounds good to me!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:17pm
post #1055 of 6536

Anku--regarding poppyseed cake. My grandmother used to make this incredible poppyseed cake. She insisted that the poppyseeds be ground ( I do this in my food processor). It really releases the flavor. If I have time tomorrow I'll look for and post the recipe.

Aquamom

Carda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carda Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1056 of 6536

Okay, so like so many others I managed to make the Orange Dreamsicle and it was awesome!

Now, however, I am on holiday and need to make a birthday cake for my sis-in-law. Nevermind the nightmare of not having my normal tools for cake decorating, I don't have my normal ingredients. I want to make the banana cake, but have some questions:

I can't find banana cake mix, so am asuming using white cake mix all the way through will be fine? I have banana essence I can add too.

Speaking of cake mix, I don't have Betty Crocker or any of the american brands, but is it fin to use another brand?

I can't find normal banana yoghurt, just banana drinking yoghurt, can I use that?

And finally, I can't find vanilla creamer, what can I use instead?

Thaaaanks!

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1057 of 6536

Did we ever establish how much of the compounds and extracts from Amoretti we are supposed to use in a recipe? In tablesppoons and teaspoons???

MACSMOM, if we use the wasc recipe and just sub the extract or use compound how much would be use>.

Anyone?

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:14pm
post #1058 of 6536

I was wondering the amounts also. I got my box from Amoretti last night and I already have a strawberry cake in the oven . I am trying Macsmom's Strawberry Fields but without the vanilla creamer. I just used 2 2/3 c of water. I got a sample of Wild Strawberry Compound so I put 1 1/2 ts of it in the batter and I will be putting some in the strawberry cheesecake filling and buttercream as well. I will post how it came out. But I am to wondering on the measurements.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:15pm
post #1059 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

Did we ever establish how much of the compounds and extracts from Amoretti we are supposed to use in a recipe? In tablesppoons and teaspoons???

MACSMOM, if we use the wasc recipe and just sub the extract or use compound how much would be use>.

Anyone?

It says it on the samples. Each one is a bit different and you're supposed to weigh them so that you put the correct amount in. So instead of thinking in ts and TB, it's weight... and ya gotta go a bit of math. So if the extract says "1%".. you would take the total batch weight (you'll need a food scale), and divide it by .99, which would equal the total finished and flavored batch weight.

They give an example when they send you the samples:

"1lb unflavored batch weight divided by .99 equals 1.91lbs total batch. Therefore, if you have 1lb. of unflavored batter, and the total batch eight should be 1.01 lbs, you need to add .01lbs of the Amoretti extract.

Hope that helps. You can probably eye ball it after you weight it once and have a better vision on how much .01lbs of an extract is.

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1060 of 6536

MACSMOM WHAT ABOUT THESE TROPICAL FLAVORS
Mango Key lime Cheesecake
Orange Mango Cheesecake
Would you attempt this by making a key lime cake, mango filling or glaze with cheesecake filling? On the Second one what about Orange cake, mango filling or glaze with cheesecake filling? What flavor frosting would you use? Who makes mango nectar? I am so excited about this thread. I look forward daily to reading it, my mind is on overdrive to learn more. icon_lol.gif

Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1061 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carda

Okay, so like so many others I managed to make the Orange Dreamsicle and it was awesome!

Now, however, I am on holiday and need to make a birthday cake for my sis-in-law. Nevermind the nightmare of not having my normal tools for cake decorating, I don't have my normal ingredients. I want to make the banana cake, but have some questions:

I can't find banana cake mix, so am asuming using white cake mix all the way through will be fine? I have banana essence I can add too.

Speaking of cake mix, I don't have Betty Crocker or any of the american brands, but is it fin to use another brand?

I can't find normal banana yoghurt, just banana drinking yoghurt, can I use that?

Thaaaanks!

I also am not able to find banana cake mix or banana yogurt. Since you can find banana drinking yogurt this is what I'd do:

2 - white cake mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 2/3 c half and half
1/4 c oil
2 tsp banana flavoring
2 tsp vanilla flavoring
2 boxes of banana pudding mix
2 c banana drinking yogurt
2 mashed bananas
6 eggs

I made a banana cake this way last week, but with vanilla yogurt instead of the banana drinking yogurt, and it was very good. Although it wasn't as light as I would like it, maybe adding a tsp or two of baking powder would help that out? Hope that helps! Good luck!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1062 of 6536

You could probably cut down on the oil too. Fruits like bananas & applesause kinda replace the oil

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:00pm
post #1063 of 6536

Boy that Banana cake sounds really delicious!! icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #1064 of 6536

Champa, your cake sounds really delicious! What do you think I could use to substitute if I don't have the compounds? Thanks!

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 10:57pm
post #1065 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Champa, your cake sounds really delicious! What do you think I could use to substitute if I don't have the compounds? Thanks!

GrandmaG,
It was very good. I ate it because the smell was so tempting. icon_cool.gif
If you use part of the liquid in the cake as coconut milk (coconut cream), you should be able to get similar effect.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 11:14pm
post #1066 of 6536

I just updated the google page. Let me know if I missed any. the coconut pistacio cardamom sounds amazing. I tried a pistachio cake with some leftover batter I had and it turned out really good. I'll deffinantly be making it again. I had to bake a large 12'' a few days ago, and 1 batch of cake mix wouldn't have been enough batter, so I multiplied the recipe by 1.5 and it fit in my mixer just perfectly. My point - I was carving this cake, and normally to make a cake more sturdy I would do half milk half sour cream in place of all milk, but since I had a larger amount of milk this time, I "MacsMomed" it up and used some vanilla yogurt. Boring flavor, but hey, it's what the customer wanted.
I also started my own baking blog this week, just for fun, for anyone that wants to see pictures of how the batter comes together.

Happy Baking -

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:55am
post #1067 of 6536

Thanks for the response alexandrabill!

I am, however, devoid of two things. Math skill and a food scale! I guess it will be trial and error for me!! LOL!

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:44am
post #1068 of 6536

I've got the math skill.. but i've also got the LAZINESS skill.. meaning I doubt i'll weigh it out for some time either icon_smile.gif

Carda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carda Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:47am
post #1069 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carda

Thaaaanks!

I also am not able to find banana cake mix or banana yogurt. Since you can find banana drinking yogurt this is what I'd do:

2 - white cake mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 2/3 c half and half
1/4 c oil
2 tsp banana flavoring
2 tsp vanilla flavoring
2 boxes of banana pudding mix
2 c banana drinking yogurt
2 mashed bananas
6 eggs

I made a banana cake this way last week, but with vanilla yogurt instead of the banana drinking yogurt, and it was very good. Although it wasn't as light as I would like it, maybe adding a tsp or two of baking powder would help that out? Hope that helps! Good luck!

Thank you, that's excellent! Can't wait to try it out.

Mom23girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23girls Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 12:28pm
post #1070 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrychef22

Mom23girls I just wanted to let you know that my catalog was right in the box with my samples.[/code][/center][/url][/list][/list]

Thanks Pastrychef - guess I'll have to give them a call icon_cry.gif wonder what happened? The girl said she'd send out a box of samples.....

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1071 of 6536

It's been two weeks now call amoretti this past friday talk to nyree she said my samples were mail out a week ago so the waiting game is on. I am no math whiz so I really would like to know about the compounds. Thanks to all involve in putting this great thread together cannot wait to see the recipes using the wasc base of mango key lime cheesecake and orange mango cheesecake. Macsmom you are the greatest looking forward to everyones input icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1072 of 6536

Question: What exactly is "banana drinking yogurt"? I've never heard of it.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm
post #1073 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I just updated the google page. I also started my own baking blog this week, just for fun, for anyone that wants to see pictures of how the batter comes together.

Happy Baking -

sayhellojana, I got way behind on this thread. Would you post the link to the google page and to your blog - or pm me? I have too much going on to read the second half and I would love to have easy access to all of macsmom's recipes along with everyone else's ideas. Thanks!

By the way, I had made macsmom's Orange Dreamsicle Cake with the White Chocolate Truffle Filling. I got paged out to a fire and stuck it in the freezer when I got home four hours later. Took it to work on Thursday and it was a HUGE success. Thanks again, macsmom! thumbs_up.gif

~Martha

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm
post #1074 of 6536
GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1075 of 6536

Bob, there is a yogurt that comes in a short little bottle. It's still in the yogurt section but you drink it instead of eat it. It's just a thinner consistency. I'm not sure if the fat content is different or not.

mbt4955 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:26pm
post #1076 of 6536

Thanks, Tammy!

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #1077 of 6536

Your welcome Martha

sayhellojana Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1078 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

sayhellojana, I got way behind on this thread. Would you post the link to the google page and to your blog - or pm me?

~Martha

No prob icon_wink.gif

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

And my blog:
http://butterfairybakes.blogspot.com/ - tell me if you think it's too cheesy

I'm probably going to be making cupcakes tomorrow, just a small batch for a friend who wants to learn how to pipe borders and roses. I have TONS and TONS of lemons, grapefruit (yeuk) and tangelos from my Aunts trees. Any ideas other than lemon/orange cake? I was thinking maybe banana cupcakes with orange curd filling. Would that go?

mbt4955 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:44pm
post #1079 of 6536

Thanks so much, Jana. The google page must have been an unbelievable amount of work and it is greatly appreciated! Your blog is great and is now on my igoogle page. thumbs_up.gif

As far as orange curd goes, I love it and I think it would be yummy with banana cupcakes. Be sure to let us know!

sayhellojana Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1080 of 6536

Thanks, mbt icon_smile.gif

I guess I'll get some bananas later today.
Happy baking, everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%