Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

KDiPietro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KDiPietro Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1081 of 6536

Have you thought about cheesecakes? They decorate the same as regular cakes. Then you can make them any flavor you like...

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1082 of 6536

KDi - how to you decoratea cheesecake? I can't imagine cheesecake with buttercream - is it good? Maybe I'll try it. I've never really baked cheesecakes, but boy am I good at eating them!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1083 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Pinkbox.. What makes the silk cake.. part/flavor in the....Elvis Wants Cake- Peanut butter silk cake with layers of bananas and peanut butter buttercream. All the flavors sound delicious!
Thanks!

Hi fiddlesticks... Im soooo behind in all of this... Im off the computer for a week and this thread goes crazy haha!! Now Im spending hours reading and reading and pasting haha.

the silk part of the Elvis cake is in my recipes seciton (I think I told you in the PM but thought I better respond here too in case others ask) absolutely to die for!!

Oh Cr*@, How did I miss that? Can I steal the title?? (You can say no) icon_rolleyes.gif

haha sure youre welcome to it haha you would probably do it more justice than me.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1084 of 6536

Thanks Grandma!! I'll look for it next time I'm at the store! icon_biggrin.gif

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:09pm
post #1085 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

sayhellojana, I got way behind on this thread. Would you post the link to the google page and to your blog - or pm me?

~Martha

No prob icon_wink.gif

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

And my blog:
http://butterfairybakes.blogspot.com/ - tell me if you think it's too cheesy

I'm probably going to be making cupcakes tomorrow, just a small batch for a friend who wants to learn how to pipe borders and roses. I have TONS and TONS of lemons, grapefruit (yeuk) and tangelos from my Aunts trees. Any ideas other than lemon/orange cake? I was thinking maybe banana cupcakes with orange curd filling. Would that go?

I love your blog!!!! especially the taco tutorial!!! You Go Girl!!! I will be looking forward to your next post...

Happy Baking!!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:10pm
post #1086 of 6536
Quote:

KDi - how to you decoratea cheesecake? I can't imagine cheesecake with buttercream - is it good? Maybe I'll try it. I've never really baked cheesecakes, but boy am I good at eating them!

You could use more of a whipped buttercream like WBH or a meringue buttercream & I think that would be yummy. Lighter than a PS buttercream & made w/ good vanilla, yum yum!

sayhellojana Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1087 of 6536

JaLa - thanks so much! I've been reading some really great baking blogs (Links on the side of my blog) and it just seemed so fun icon_smile.gif I'm going to post pictures of the AZ cake and sugar art show later.

dandelion - I always use IMBC. Maybe If I only added half the butter, that way its nice and whippy? Guess it's time to look up cheesecake recipes!

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #1088 of 6536

I tried the pistachio caramel cardamon recipe today and I have to ask if anyone else has.
I found it a little thick so I added a bit more liquid. Now I find myself with a cake that is burning on edges and too moist in the middle. It came out fine in the toothpick test on several occasions.
The batter and the cooked cakes are fantastic but at $10.00 for a sml can of pistachios and LoRann oils by mail order only I can't make this for my cake club demo if it is not a recipe that I can use.
Has anyone else had adverse reactions or did I just ruin the recipe by finding it too thick & adding a little more liquid?
Any ideas?
thanks Claire

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #1089 of 6536

Jana! Cute blog ! Great cake to.

Bonniecakes08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonniecakes08 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #1090 of 6536

Macsmom, thank you for your generosity. Could you give us a guide to how to figure out replacing ingredients so that we don't ask you every cake flavor recipe? I mean like substitutions - how much of something to replace what so that the cakes come out? I just can't get the hang of how you do it. Just a thought!

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 10:00pm
post #1091 of 6536

I was reading up on adding honey to cakes.. and here is some info i thought would help y'all icon_smile.gif

When replacing sugar with honey:
Use ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon honey in place of 1 cup sugar, and reduce the other liquid ingredients by 2 tablespoons. Unless the recipe includes sour cream or buttermilk, add a pinch of baking soda to neutralize the acidity.

So in our graham cracker wasc cake, which I think needs honey or honey extract, if you use yogurt instead of sourcream/buttermilk, make sure you add some baking soda in it! I use sourcream usually in it so I haven't had the baking soda issue, yet icon_smile.gif

KDiPietro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KDiPietro Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1092 of 6536

Sorry, I'm new to the forum....I emailed you last time. I would definitely find a flavor BC that compliments your Cheesecake. Meringue would be a nice compliment. I've seen several excellent recipies here. Not sure how a meringue would hold up with fondant if you are thinking along those lines, though.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #1093 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kake4me2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbyA

Macsmom, do you have a good recipe for 'limoncello cake' ??? or anyone???
Cbya

Oh Yes! I would love a Limoncello recipe I have friends who make their own and a b-day cake in this flavor would be right up their alley!!

Macsmom
I don't think your Lemon Drop recipe has been posted, but could that be converted to a limoncello cake???????

Ack!! I haven't been getting updates. I have a lot to catch up some things I want to write about, but I'll have to get back later tonight before my DH has a fit... icon_redface.gif

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:15am
post #1094 of 6536

I have a question for everyone--my husband loves Mountain Dew! So, I thought it would be fun to make a Mountain Dew cake for St. Patty's day. I've found some recipes online but they all include coconut which no one here likes. I was thinking I could use either white or yellow cake mix (and then tint green) and use Mtn Dew as the liquid but I'm not sure if this will give it a strong enough mtn. dew flavor. Did any of you watch the Amazing Wedding Cakes show? I remember them making a beer buttercream once. She boiled the beer for a while and made it a little more syrup like. Could I try that with the Mtn. Dew also? Any thoughts?

sayhellojana Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:57am
post #1095 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDiPietro

Not sure how a meringue would hold up with fondant if you are thinking along those lines, though.

I use IMBC under all of my fondant cakes and it, in my opinion, holds up better than a PS buttercream. It's easier to smooth the cake, too icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #1096 of 6536
Quote:

I just updated the google page. Let me know if I missed any. the coconut pistacio cardamom sounds amazing. I tried a pistachio cake with some leftover batter I had and it turned out really good. I'll deffinantly be making it again. I had to bake a large 12'' a few days ago, and 1 batch of cake mix wouldn't have been enough batter, so I multiplied the recipe by 1.5 and it fit in my mixer just perfectly. My point - I was carving this cake, and normally to make a cake more sturdy I would do half milk half sour cream in place of all milk, but since I had a larger amount of milk this time, I "MacsMomed" it up and used some vanilla yogurt. Boring flavor, but hey, it's what the customer wanted.
I also started my own baking blog this week, just for fun, for anyone that wants to see pictures of how the batter comes together.

Happy Baking -

I am going to try the pistachio-cardamom using pistachio ice-cream, the same way I do the Orange Dreamsicle, with pistacchio pudding.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:46am
post #1097 of 6536

Well, I have really gotten behind! Could someone please post the link to the google page that was updated! icon_rolleyes.gif

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:51am
post #1098 of 6536
MacsMom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:05am
post #1099 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniecakes08

Macsmom, thank you for your generosity. Could you give us a guide to how to figure out replacing ingredients so that we don't ask you every cake flavor recipe? I mean like substitutions - how much of something to replace what so that the cakes come out? I just can't get the hang of how you do it. Just a thought!

I simply replace liquid for water, but for creamers I only replece half of the water. So I would do 1-1/3 c creamer + 1-1/3 c water; or 2-2/3 c juice, or 2-2/3 c coffee, 2-2/3 c melted ice-cream...

The yogurt is used basically equally to sour cream. 2 cups of sour cream = 16 oz, so I use three 6 oz containers of yogurt even though it is slightly more.

I keep the extracts the same, too. The WASC calls for 4 teaspoons total; but I count 1 dram of LoRann as 2 teaspoons since it is super strength.

The chocolate cake is the only that is really whacked! And I have to make yet one more adjustment: I made it for a Noah's Ark and it was so hard to carve! I thought I had it nailed to not be so brownie-like dense, but it came out a bit too light - for carving, anyway. So rather than 1/2 cup of butter I am going to try 1/3 c of oil. (Although, it was a half-recipe and I still used a whole package of pudding icon_rolleyes.gif ).

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:10am
post #1100 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy712

Here it is Linda

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

Thank you sooo much Tammy!

Cakegirl11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl11 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:11am
post #1101 of 6536

Ok I wanted to share a recipe that I tried this weekend that was great. I really wanted to try to make the dark chocolate raspberry cake mentioned on Macsmom flavor list. So I used her dark chocolate WASC recipe, and I subbed raspberry yogurt for the sour cream and raspberry extract for the extracts. It was awesome. It was still chocolatey but had a hint of raspberry flavor. I filled it with the white chocolate truffle filling replacing the vanilla extract with raspberry. I also replaced half the extract in my buttercream with raspberry and added some butter flavoring. It was great!

Thanks Macsmom for the recipe and inspiration! thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:44am
post #1102 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

I was reading up on adding honey to cakes.. and here is some info i thought would help y'all icon_smile.gif

When replacing sugar with honey:
Use ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon honey in place of 1 cup sugar, and reduce the other liquid ingredients by 2 tablespoons. Unless the recipe includes sour cream or buttermilk, add a pinch of baking soda to neutralize the acidity.

So in our graham cracker wasc cake, which I think needs honey or honey extract, if you use yogurt instead of sourcream/buttermilk, make sure you add some baking soda in it! I use sourcream usually in it so I haven't had the baking soda issue, yet icon_smile.gif

Great info! Thanks thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:52am
post #1103 of 6536

[quote="MacsMom"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kake4me2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbyA

Macsmom
I don't think your Lemon Drop recipe has been posted, but could that be converted to a limoncello cake???????

Ack!! I haven't been getting updates. I have a lot to catch up some things I want to write about, but I'll have to get back later tonight before my DH has a fit... icon_redface.gif

Okay. I made the strawberry lemonade cake, using a modified version of the Lemonlicious cake... OMG!! I couldn't stop eating it - it was amazing!

I marbled strawberry cake with this lemonade cake:
1 lemon + 1 white cake mix      
2 c flour            
2 c sugar  
1 ½ t salt          
1 pkg lemon pudding  
3 (6oz) lemon yogurt   
1 can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed, with enough added vanilla coffee creamer to equal 2-2/3 cups total (I didn't measure it icon_redface.gif )
8 egg whites
¼ c oil          
4 t Princess emulsion (or 2 t vanilla, 1 t almond, 1 t lemon extracts)

MacsMom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:56am
post #1104 of 6536

Okay.. Last post tonight. I made the Cheesecake Lovers cake yesterday.

Yes, the areas where I mabled in the chocolate cheescake part did sink a bit lower than the white part, but it baked perfectly otherwise! I think the chocolate part may need some Nielsen Massey chocolate extract added to it, but overall the cake was very good - it got rave reviews from my neighbors.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:22pm
post #1105 of 6536

Great! ANOTHER cake to try of yours haha. MMMmmmm chocolate.

I dont know about you guy/gals... but Im not getting any notifications of posts anymore... hmmmm. So I have been trying to catch up.

Have you tried this version... this is the lemon cake I use and do the strawberry just like you do... swirled... brides love it!.... more lemon than strawberry. Its different and when cut has a beautiful apperance as the lemon is a very light color.

2 boxes of white cake

2 cups all purpose flour (or cake flour)

2 cups granulated sugar

1-1/2 tsp salt

1-2/3 cup water

1 cup lemon juice

¼ cup vegetable oil

1 Tbsp Lemon Zest

2 tsp Real Vanilla

2 tsp Lemon Extract

2 cups Sour Cream

6 large eggs

Place all dry ingredients together. Add remaining and mix on medium about 2 minutes.

Bake 325 until done.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:38pm
post #1106 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiara

I tried the pistachio caramel cardamon recipe today and I have to ask if anyone else has.
I found it a little thick so I added a bit more liquid. Now I find myself with a cake that is burning on edges and too moist in the middle. It came out fine in the toothpick test on several occasions.
The batter and the cooked cakes are fantastic but at $10.00 for a sml can of pistachios and LoRann oils by mail order only I can't make this for my cake club demo if it is not a recipe that I can use.
Has anyone else had adverse reactions or did I just ruin the recipe by finding it too thick & adding a little more liquid?
Any ideas?
thanks Claire

Hello Chiara:

I posted the Pistachio-Caramel-Cardamom recipe.

I have done it twice and havent had a problem yet, maybe Ive been lucky!
I did cupcakes first and 9X2 round cakes the second time, I used the flower nail on my 9X2 round pans as usual, and they cooked perfectly.
What temperature did you baked yours? I always bake at 325°F.
When I do the toothpick test and it comes out ALMOST clean, I turn the oven off and let the cake sit inside for 5 or 8 extra minutes.

The batter is thick, but I think 1-3/4 cup of liquid (caramel topping, coffee creamer and butter milk) + 1 stick of butter and 1/4cup of oil are plenty.
You could add 1/4cup of extra liquid if you want.

I bought a big bag (I think 5lb) of pistachios with shells at Walmart, I think I paid around $15.00.
I shelled them, peeled them myself, and then chopped them in a small food processor.
I found Lorann oil on my local farmers market, $1.25 for set of 2 and
I bought the cardamom seeds online (4oz. for $6.99) and ground them on my food processor, and then shifted it to get the powder.

The whole process requires some extra work, but I think is worth it.

I was thinking that next time I will add only ½ or ¾ of the pistachio pudding mix to make less dense, just a personal preference.
Please remember that the recipe is pretty much new and maybe needs some tweaking.
If you do something different and get better results, please let us know and I will adjust the recipe.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:23pm
post #1107 of 6536

pinkbox.If you use cake flour do you still add 2cups? Or is it a different amount ?
Thanks !

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #1108 of 6536

I made the Cheescake Lovers yesterday and it was very good. It baked up good but the chocolate sank to the bottom. My husband wanted peanut butter frosting so that is what I used but it was very heavy with the cake. Next time I will use raspberyy or something fruity to lighten it up but alla in all it was very good. Thanks MacsMom. Forgot to say I will only put chocolate in maybe 1/3 of the batter next time so it is not as chocolatey and maybe use white chocolate instead.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:48pm
post #1109 of 6536

I emailed amoretti last Thursday. It is now Monday and no one called. has anyone else had this problem? I have a feeling that they caught on to us and realized that they are loosing money with all the samples they have been mailing out.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:49pm
post #1110 of 6536

Fiddlesticks, if you weigh the flour you'll still use 2 cups, but the weight of cake flour is less than ap. So, if you use cups, yes it's less. I'm thinking 3/4 c, but can't remember since I started weighing my ingredients.

Here's what I use (both unsifted):

AP = 135 g/ cup
CF = 125 g/cup

MacsMom, someone had asked what your general subs are. I'm wondering when you decide to add pudding to mixes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%