Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

Daniella451 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniella451 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #961 of 6536

Happy Birthday MacsMom!! I think your recipe file might overwhelm your DH. Help him out by picking a couple or three of your faves and have him bake those for your birthday. No need to settle for just one. icon_wink.gif
Enjoy your special day.

taygetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taygetta Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:51pm
post #962 of 6536

icon_cry.gif I tried the Orange Dreamsicle and ran into the same dense texture problems that a few people have been having. Yes I used DH but it's what I had. I will try changing it, like you suggested above, the next time I bake it. I had my hubby try it first. Then after his comments I was so disappointed I haven't been able to make myself try it. icon_cry.gif

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #963 of 6536

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MACSMOM!!!

I would love to make you a 40th birthday cake!!! I'm just afraid you would be utterly disappointed compared to your cakes!!

I made my 40th birthday cake in November -- heaven, we were in heaven!! Tried to downplay the 40!!

Chocolate cake, peanut butter SMBC, peanut butter cookie, Peanut butter SMBC, chocolate cake, (repeat for another layer) and then cover in chocolate SMBC. This is one of my favorites!! It was a 9" round and about 6" tall. It was devoured quickly!!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:34pm
post #964 of 6536

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MACS MOM!!! party.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gif

Also, my Amoretti samples just arrived and I cant believe how many there are! Including the few bottles of flours, and pastes, there are 48 jars plus two bottles of flavor syrups!!!!!! Holy moly...what to try first!!!

Unfortunately, the main one I called for was the root beer and that one is not included but hey, how can I complain???

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #965 of 6536

Steffla- how did you get so much stuff from Amoretti I'm jealous I only got 7 compounds.. but better then none... I was going to ask any one how much of the compounds do you put in your cakes or fillings or has any one used theres yet if so is there any good recpies with them... I can't wait to try them out.. Happy Birthday Macsmom!!!!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:10pm
post #966 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by taygetta

icon_cry.gif I tried the Orange Dreamsicle and ran into the same dense texture problems that a few people have been having. Yes I used DH but it's what I had. I will try changing it, like you suggested above, the next time I bake it. I had my hubby try it first. Then after his comments I was so disappointed I haven't been able to make myself try it. icon_cry.gif

Aww... Poop. Sorry you had trouble! It does need to bake longer than most, so hopefully you aren't just pulling it out after a certain amount of time that is normal for other recipes.

But yes, DH is horrible. I wonder if the brand of sherbet being used is the culprit?

In any case, for those of you who had issues with it's density, try omitting the pudding mix and add 1/4 t of baking soda. icon_sad.gif

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm
post #967 of 6536

OK for ordering the sample from Amoretti
you need to have a business ??? or thair send them to you any way I saw in their form you have to put your business name ???
thanks

MacsMom Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:48pm
post #968 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnazmom3

OK for ordering the sample from Amoretti
you need to have a business ??? or thair send them to you any way I saw in their form you have to put your business name ???
thanks

You don't need to be a business, but I am sure they would like to think you will be ordering from them in the future, so talking about starting a business would be a good idea. They aren't cheap and are in the process of smaller packaging for smaller businesses, but they are worth every penny.

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm
post #969 of 6536

thank you very much I will try
icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cakegirl11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl11 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:16am
post #970 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

cakegirl11,
I have recently made a dark, fudgy, chocolate cake and made a raspberry sauce to brush over it, like a simple syrup. Just warm rasp jam in the microwave, add a little chambord liquor if you wish, and press through a small strainer to get the jelly globs out. It will kind of glaze the cake, but also sink in if it's warm enough. I've also made the rasp. conserve from the Cake Bible. Just empty a full bag of frozen rasp in a strainer, over a bowl, overnight to catch the juices. Then there is a cooking process, but just using that strained juice is unbelievable rasp flavor! Great mixed into buttercream, ganache and chocolate frosting, too! I've gotten a truer flavor adding flavors (like the raspberry) after baking, not mixing into the batter. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

This sounds really yummy. It doesn't make it soggy does it?

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #971 of 6536

Hi all! I got my samples from Amoretti today too. I got 15 jars of misc. flavors and 5 small tubs of 2-marzipan, 1-almond paste and 2-hazelnut praline. My DH liked the idea it was all free!!! thumbs_up.gif

Tammy

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:39am
post #972 of 6536

Well, I made the Raspberry version of the Dreamsicle cake. The only things I changed this time is I added 1/2 tsp soda & no pudding. Since I had 1/2 of a BC & 1/2 of a DH I went ahead & used it up & they have 8oz raspberry yogurt where I used 2--6 oz containers of lime yogurt.. The cakes weren't as "wet" as the lime version, but still didn't rise as well. I don't know if I should just add more batter or if next time exclusively using BC mix will make a difference. So, I think I'm going to assume it's the DH mix, but I could be wrong

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:48am
post #973 of 6536

Here reporting back for the Pistachio-Cardamom cake.

I must confess that when I heard Mary Alice from CCC talking about how delicious the Pistachio-Cardamom cake was, I thought she said: Pistachio-Caramel I never heard of Cardamom before, so forgive me,
I started putting together my own recipe combining the best elements of a pistachio cake and a caramel cake.

It wasnt until you guys made reference to that cake that I realized I misunderstood, but since most pistachio cake recipes I found online included cardamom I decided I might as well add it to my pistachio-caramel recipe; plus I already had set on my mind that caramel ice cream topping on a cake would be a great element.

I bought cardamom seeds on Ebay and grind them myself and sifted it before adding to the mix.
I paid $6.99 for 4oz. including shipping.

Cardamom is amazing, the smell and the flavor is like nothing Ive tried before; sweet and savory.

So here is my recipe:

Pistachio-Cardamom-Caramel Cake

*Dry ingredients

*1 box of white cake mix (I used DH)
*1 cup of cake flour
*1/2 cup of white granulated sugar (*I cut down the sugar because the coffee creamer and ice cream topping have lots of it)
*2 teaspoons baking power
*1 envelope dry pistachio pudding mix
*1 teaspoon of salt (*If using salted pistachios omit salt).
*1 teaspoon of grind cardamom.
*Sift dry ingredients twice and set aside.

*1 cup of sour cream
*1 stick of butter (at room temp.)
*1/4 cup of veg. oil
*1/3 cup of cream cheese at room temp. (*I always add cream cheese to my WASC recipe, you can omit this if you want, I just love the richness that it adds to the cake)
*1/4 cup of brown sugar

*Cream these ingredients in the mixer for about 3 mins. or until completely blended together.

*4 large eggs
*1 tablespoon vanilla extract
*Lorann pistachio oil flavor

*Add these ingredients to mixer until blended with the other ingredients.

*1/2 cup of vanilla caramel coffee creamer
*1/2 cup of caramel ice cream topping
*3/4 cup of buttermilk

*Mix together all liquids and alternate with dry ingredients into the mixer.

*1 cup of chopped pistachios (*dont forget the pistachios! add them to the mix a the very end)

Of course you can always do your normal pistachio-cardamom version of the WASC cake instead of my hybrid: pistachio-cardamom-caramel, but all I have to tell you is that this recipe is absolutely out of this world.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:51am
post #974 of 6536

Cakegirl that sounds awesome!! I can't wait to try it! icon_biggrin.gif

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:02am
post #975 of 6536

Wow that does sound good!! Thanks for sharing!

Tammy

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:04am
post #976 of 6536

cakegirl11 wrote: This sounds really yummy. It doesn't make it soggy does it?

The raspberry puree won't make the cake soggy if it's just applied (brushed or sprinkled) on the top to get an even amount. You don't want to soak the cake, just get the flavor in. The amount depends on the moistness of the cake, layer size, and thickness. When I press the cake top, it should feel slightly damp, but definitely not pool around my finger or hear a wet sound. I then let the cake sit in the fridge to distribute the moisture for 1-2 hours. If you're unsure of how the flavor will be, just test on a cupcake from the same batter first. If you would like the recipe, just send me a PM. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:53pm
post #977 of 6536

Macsmom,
would you be kind enough to share your Cappuccino recipe (sp?) or do you have a tiramisu cake recipe.

I want to try something different for my birthday cake icon_smile.gif. This will give my friends who will taste my cake a better idea of what to order next time other than just plain old chocolate or vanilla.

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:59pm
post #978 of 6536

Malishka,

It is mentioned earlier in this thread. Oh here I found it. These are all from Macsmom so you can thank her.
Claire

Tiramisu Variation

WASC recipe
Use coffee mates Italian sweet cream liquid creamer for half the water
2 Tbsp. Vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. Butter extract
Espresso Syrup

2/3 cup water
1 cup powdered sugar
5  Tbsp instant espresso powder

In a small pan bring water, sugar & coffee to a boil. Let coo. Poke holes in the cake;
Brush with suryp

Marscapone Filling

1 cup marscapone cheese (1 tub)
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
3 Tbps Khalhua (or coffee)
2 cups frosting pride or choice of whipped topping

Blend it all together.

Truffle filling (cappuccino flavoured)

16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 c milk chocolate chips (2 bags)
1/3 c butter
1-1/2 t vanilla
2 c PS, sifted
*add 1/4 t cinnamon and 1 dram LoRann coffee flavor
Beat the cream cheese. Melt the chocolate and butter together in microwave; beat into cream cheese. Add vanilla and PS; beat well.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:59pm
post #979 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGrlPA

Here reporting back for the Pistachio-Cardamom cake.

I must confess that when I heard Mary Alice from CCC talking about how delicious the Pistachio-Cardamom cake was, I thought she said: Pistachio-Caramel I never heard of Cardamom before, so forgive me,
I started putting together my own recipe combining the best elements of a pistachio cake and a caramel cake.

It wasnt until you guys made reference to that cake that I realized I misunderstood, but since most pistachio cake recipes I found online included cardamom I decided I might as well add it to my pistachio-caramel recipe; plus I already had set on my mind that caramel ice cream topping on a cake would be a great element.

I bought cardamom seeds on Ebay and grind them myself and sifted it before adding to the mix.
I paid $6.99 for 4oz. including shipping.

Cardamom is amazing, the smell and the flavor is like nothing Ive tried before; sweet and savory.

So here is my recipe:

Pistachio-Cardamom-Caramel Cake

...............................................is absolutely out of this world.

Questions - you have caramel in the title.

How to assemble your cake using caramel?

Also, what size of cake were you able to make?

thanks

MacsMom Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:00pm
post #980 of 6536

sweetkisscakes brought it to my attention that the Pina Colada isn't listed, so here it is:

Pina Colada
2 white cake mixes
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1 pkg coconut pudding mix
1 c coconut creamer
1 c pineapple juice
2/3 c Malibu Rum
3 containers coconut yogurt
6 eggs
1/4 c oil
2 t pineapple extract
2 t coconut extract
(*or 2 drams LoRann Pina Colada)

icon_biggrin.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm
post #981 of 6536

MACSMOM -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

I hope you have a great party on Saturday.

MacsMom Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:09pm
post #982 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

Macsmom,
would you be kind enough to share your Cappuccino recipe (sp?)

Thanks for posting the tiramisu again, Chiara!

For Cappuccino I use milk chocolate cake mixes and add 2 t of cinnamon and a tablespoon of espresso powder; I use coffee or the liquid and add 2 drams of LoRann coffee flavor - it takes a lot to make a chocolate cake taste like coffee!

I fill it with Chocolate Bettercreme that I whip 2 pkgs of vanilla pudding and 1 t cinnamon into, and also use regular old whipped (white) Bettercreme in another layer. 3 cake layers/2 fillings.

MacsMom Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #983 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

MACSMOM -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

I hope you have a great party on Saturday.

Oh yeah, I'm officially 40 icon_razz.gif Thank you!

taygetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taygetta Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm
post #984 of 6536

I'm going to sing you a birthday song....you ready? This is your birthday song it's not very long! Ok that was it icon_biggrin.gif Happy Birthday! 40? Not a day over 21 thumbs_up.gif

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:30pm
post #985 of 6536

ok, ok, I know this is lame. I am a dolt and have no clue here so bear with me! I just received my free samples from Amoretti! ( thanks again linstead!) and I am so excited to use them. HOWEVER! I am not sure what using 1% by weight or 3-5% by weight really means. Literally, how much should I use to flavor a cake mix, or a mixer full of buttercream? Teaspoon, tablespoon? What is the difference between the compound and the extract, the swirl? Anything that you can help me with would be so appreciated. I love this thread, I cannot believe these wonderful flavors! I can't wait to get baking!

Thanks again!

steffla Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:32pm
post #986 of 6536

It was so funny to read the explanation and recipe for the pistachio caramel cardamon cake. The whole time I was reading about duffs favorite flavor on this thread, I felt silly because I was pretty sure he said pistachio caramel, not cardamon. glad I wasnt alone. Are we sure which one is right? I checked his flavor list but neither is on there.

Sounds great, and I am looking forward to trying your hybrid recipe!!

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:43pm
post #987 of 6536

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MACSMOM!!!! Thank you for sharing all your wonderful ideas and knowledge!!!! I hope you have a wonderful birthday and get to eat a fabulously delicious cake!!!!! party.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

HeatherC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherC Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:44pm
post #988 of 6536

Charm City Cakes' website lists the flavor Cardamom and Pistachio. I didn't see it at first either because I was looking for Pistachio first.

Happy Birthday Macsmom! And thanks for sharing your recipes.

steffla Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:57pm
post #989 of 6536

OOOPPS!!! You are right, I was looking for the pistachio first!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:13pm
post #990 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

Questions - you have caramel in the title.

How to assemble your cake using caramel?

Also, what size of cake were you able to make?

thanks

The caramel doesnt make the cake mushy or anything because it is just part of the liquid that the recipe needs.
It wont change the way you assemble the cake.

You can omit the caramel part altogether, if you wish, by:
*substituting ½ cup caramel topping for water or buttermilk,
*omitting the brown sugar,
*increasing the granulated white sugar to 1cup instead of ½ cup,
*reducing the butter to ½ stick instead of 1 stick
*and finally substituting ½ cup vanilla-caramel coffee creamer for either water or buttermilk.

If you want to keep the caramel part on the recipe, you can also brush your layers with some of the caramel ice cream topping when assembling instead of regular syrup and then add whatever filling you want.

It yields same as regular WASC, I made cupcakes but you can do 2-9 inch round- 2 high layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%